JB weld/chemical metal, is it OK for exhausts?

lorenzo

I've got a link pipe off a k4 gsxr thou for my srad, it comes with the butterfly half way down it and not only is it unneccesary weight but crucially, it's a bit ugly. Ideally I'd like to just take the butterfly off on the inside and all the gubbins off from the outside, but I suspect that's going to leave me with bits rattling about as the whole mechanism is kept taught by the springs on the outer stuff, so if it all has to come off, what can I use to block it all off? I was thinking a small splodge of JB weld or something. Does it adhere OK to titanium and is it hardy enough to take exhaust heat? I don't know if exhaust temps vary massively over the system, but it'll be about 10" before the end can, about under my footpeg. Any thoughts?

OK, well, you drill the heads out of the screws, pull the butterfly off, remove one of the small screws, then use that as a pilot hole to put a bigger dril down there, which in turn chops the shaft in two, which then just falls out. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can pop an M10 bolt (one that's shorter than the bit the shaft pivots in, so it doesn't poke into the exhaust flow) into the bit that's left there. Otherwise it'll be a case of getting it welded over. I might get the angle grinder onto all the bracketry bits too that aren't needed, neaten it up a bit.

Archived