TZR 250 3XV

Hendo

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martin!

The welds are fine by me, I'm really pleased with the fit to be honest. Your pipes are a great alternative to the £600+ pipes out there, Im yet to hear a bad review.

Do you reckon you welded these or someone else? They came from a lad on the Isle or Man, never used.

Ive also got a stock top airbox lid to open up and fit at some point so after that it'll be fun and games seizing setting it all up :biggrinvk4:

Can't remember to be honest... certainly I did them a few years ago as I altered the way I cut and fit them for more bodywork clearance.

Good luck with the jetting... I think about 220-270ish should be safe off the top of my head.

Stock top airbox lid, you can see the way the inlet tapers -

IMG_0473_zpsxngkodwn.jpg

Modified airbox lid -

IMG_0469_zpszxzhufbu.jpg

It was a complete PITA, it probably would have been a 10 minute job if I'd had a dremel.

nice work....

Yamaha like to make things difficult ! its their way of making a bike WFO anti seize

by not letting to much air in , restricting and making it run rich at the top end. imho

my aprilia was restricted in the same way

bikepics-2580277-800_zpsd1e68c6c.jpg

the other way is....

ABCD0016_zps46d583ed.jpg

get a 17 year old to fix it ! lol

Due to my air boxes being polyurethane together I tried cutting them in half (yes I'm very tight sometimes) and placing foam over the very large inlets (mega trumpets) the induction roar was so loud you didn't ever sit in 6th at 110 kph

even with ear plugs

• 1 month later...

Both bikes are currently sitting uninsured with no tax or MOT. Ive kinda accepted the fact that neither are going to be used this year.

However, every time I go into the garage for a ciggy, I see the little 3XV staring back at me. It deserves better really. It has developed a few niggly little jobs that need attention. So I started with a list -

IMG_0570_zpsfx1xrvtb.jpg

The plan is to tick things off through the rest of this year as I go.

First thing I attended to was the fit of the pipes. The fairing needed trimmed. I can tell you that nothing will make your arse nip like putting a 80mm holesaw through a perfectly good set of fairings -

IMG_0569_zpsdzyabapz.jpg

IMG_0568_zpsomrayxzh.jpg

IMG_0571_zpshci4h1yb.jpg

Then onto these -

IMG_0572_zpshivftx4x.jpg

IMG_0575_zps4lwbhqod.jpg

Finished with some reflective aluminium tape. Took me a while to do this, it sticks like shit to a blanket.

IMG_0576_zpsvy1hpdhw.jpg

The little fairing bracket is one I made years ago out of stainless bar with a couple of M6 threads stud welded on. About time I fitted it, and it does a good job of replacing the 2 tywraps that were previously in.

IMG_0573_zpsdqbg9bpv.jpg

Everything fitting great now.

Even though Ive lost my motorcycling mojo, I really enjoyed my tinkering time in the garage this afternoon, so it hopefully wont take me too long to work through that list.

So, finished off a few little jobs today, mainly getting the exhausts to fit to my satisfaction. This only required pulling out the R/H/S silencer to bring it out a bit straighter. Bit of oxy acetylene and a few pulls and it was done. Just need to paint them now.

Put it all back together and decided to give it a 5 mile run on my personal private road. Good job I live in the sticks :ph34r:

Bearing in mind I havn't altered any jetting yet I was carefull not to go stupid, but my god, what a difference again with the pipes.

Completely standard it would pull nicely upto 10,000RPM, at this point it was signing off and ready for another gear.

With the porting done and the 4* ignition advance key fitted, but still on standard pipes it made much better power and would hammer right round to the redline, instead of running out of puff at 10KRPM. I was very happy at this point and debated on just leaving it there.

Now having added the pipes, it doesnt feel any different sub 10K RPM, but hit that magic 10K RPM and it suddenly feels like its dropped another 20BHP into the mix and it just takes off.

Awesome!

Very pleased with the result, big doff of the cap to Martin Johnson for his work.

• 4 months later...

So, working my way through my list saw me re-bleeding the brakes and cleaning the calipers.

When cleaning the rear caliper I managed to pop one of the pistons out by accident. Not a problem I think, its happened before. Just push it back in and re-bleed it. Not this time, I managed to tear a seal.

Bugger. Well if I was going to strip it I may aswell do it properly so the caliper went away to Triple S and 2 new piston and seal sets ordered.

Old -

8.jpg

New -

FullSizeRender_zps49v7y6ah.jpg

IMG_0905_zpsmkc4kya2.jpg

IMG_0907_zps1ziklryr.jpg

Triple S have done a great job as usual. The main problem with powder coating however is it makes all the old stuff around it look even more tired and old.

Bike now looks like this -

IMG_0957_zps7adgkrxu.jpg

New OEM front brake lever fitted along with 4 new indicator lenses after I broke one when I dropped it in the garage. I only needed 1, but they were only £2 ish each so I just replaced all 4.

Front wheel is away getting a new tyre.

Had quite a bit of bother getting the bleed nipples on the rear caliper to seal. The threads had quite a bit of shotblast media in them. In the end I had to take off the caliper and give it all a second thorough clean.

Using an old bit of cable I had lying about :biggrinvk4: I left the system with pressure on it for a couple of days, it all seems to be dry now.

IMG_0963_zpso0mg7q66.jpg

Im looking to install EGT monitors on it, with Koso being the current favourite. I made up a model out of cardboard and tape using the dementions from the Koso site.

IMG_0962_zpsidqmuvaf.jpg

Space is very very tight around the clocks on the 3XV and the current favourite is putting it up near the top yoke -

IMG_0959_zpsbblpm7ug.jpg
IMG_0958_zpsqphfa8nq.jpg

It will be very easy to make a bracket for it here too off the screen/fairing brace. Im just wondering if it will stand out like a sore thumb too much though.

The other option is in this bottom corner, but mounting it here will be a nightmare -

IMG_0960_zpsaodg2hgp.jpg

In an ideal world it would go in front of the clocks but there just isnt the room when you turn the steering -

IMG_0961_zpse5fmjcio.jpg

Desicions, desicions.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the fairing bracket TBH and that's where it will be going. The unit has a few wires going into it so that rules out the stem nut, or anywhere that will allow movement.

I've currently lost interest in it again. Give me a couple of months and it will return :huh:

• 2 months later...

Couple of little bits -

FullSizeRender_zps5nvfhsyg.jpg

Old carb filters -

IMG_1169_zpsy8rcc8zn.jpg

New carb filters -

IMG_1168_zps9d8jbdxb.jpg

These sit in the fuel inlet stubs on the carbs, and catch a surprising amount of shite even although my tank is pretty clean. After 25 years they are starting to distort so its a good time to replace them and ensure the carbs are as clean as they can be.

The carbs have also been off and had a good soak in the ultrasonic cleaner. Finished off with carb cleaner and compressed air. I'm always amazed at what that little sonic cleaner can do.

The other parts are for the 2T lube system, new pipes and clips for piece of mind.

I've decided against using EGT, hopefully it won't come back and bite me in the arse. That just leaves the exhausts to paint and I can start playing around with jetting and set-up...if I decide to use it this year or not.

@Hendo   Good work replacing the old carb filters.                                                                                                                                                                              Re the new 2T oil lines, i prefer too use a clear tube(s)   So i can actually see the lines are full/ no air bubbles etc...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Great bike btw :)     M@

I have used clear oil lines on it before but I couldnt get clips of the right diameter to hold them on tightly.

They probably wouldnt have came off but it would have always been in the back of my mind, so Ive kept it OEM. They were cheap as chips anyways.

IMG_1171_zpse3zjttwm.jpg

Exhausts painted. Will cure them properly in the big oven at my old workplace.

Not too happy with the colour, they are not anything like what was on the can, I was after a more dark gunmetal colour but I cannot be bothered with the rubbing down and re-doing so they will have to stay as is. We'll see how it holds up, Ive never used hycote paints before.

Also ordered a load of jets from 200 - 300 from Allens Performance so I can start setting it up when the weather picks up.

Plan is to get it to what I think is a good setting (which could be miles out!) and then take it to a dyno to get it properly sorted.

Does anyone know of a good dyno & operator, who's good with 2 strokes and carbs/jetting? I'm willing to travel a couple of hours from Carlisle for the right place.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

Does anyone know of a good dyno & operator, who's good with 2 strokes and carbs/jetting? I'm willing to travel a couple of hours from Carlisle for the right place.

Seem to remember Flatstick on here had his 500 set up somewhere Morecambe way. PM Tuning? I'll look for the thread on the RGV forum.

Not sure if Junction 33 Dyno Services do 2T. Failing these Dynojet?

ETA It was PM. There was/is a video on YouTube.

5 hours ago, Tony B said:

Seem to remember Flatstick on here had his 500 set up somewhere Morecambe way. PM Tuning? I'll look for the thread on the RGV forum.

Not sure if Junction 33 Dyno Services do 2T. Failing these Dynojet?

ETA It was PM. There was/is a video on YouTube.

HI,

As Tony said I had my 500 set up at PMtuning it went in with 86bhp running rough as fuck and came out  with 102bhp at back wheel and ran spot on.

Dean

Archived