TZR 250 3XV

Hendo

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top job :icon_salut:

Going home to get mine at some point this year. It didn't turn a wheel at all last year. It'll need a couple of things doing then I'm off to Cadwell with it. Maybe the 2t day at Donington too.

lovely looking yoke sir, well done

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the kind words.

Can someone with some fuelling knowledge try and diagnose something for me?

I cleaned the carbs out with my ultrasonic cleaner, carb cleaner and compressor. All settings/jets etc are all as per the factory manual. Carbs are minty mint.

Im WOT pulling hard in top gear 80MPH+ say, I roll off for maybe 2 seconds because I think I see a hazard up ahead.

When I roll back onto WOT Its slightly bogging for a couple of seconds, like its not getting enough fuel, before it starts pulling hard again. I thought it was siezing the first time it did it.

Ive had an actual bike mechanic look over it for me (he was brought up on LC's). He says he's played with the float heights and that it should be sorted now., but its still not 100%.

Any ideas anyone? Should I try lifting the needle a notch?

Do a plug chop to see how it is fueling at revs with the throttle wide open. Doubt its needle if its when the throttle is full open needle is more for part throttle openings.

Do a plug chop to see how it is fueling at revs with the throttle wide open. Doubt its needle if its when the throttle is full open needle is more for part throttle openings.

Will do some plug chops.

I mentioned the needles because at WOT it will pull perfectly without hesitation. Its the hesitation going from part throttle back to WOT that Im having trouble with.

I think Im going to have all the intake to pieces and make sure all is well to start with.

Ive done around 500 miles with it being like this, I would have thought that I would have nipped up by now had it been a major problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Grand total of miles since I bought it - 3,902. Its 3 years next month since I got this, where does time go!?

A member of the TZR forum sorted out a batch of wossner pistons for the 3XV, consideribly cheaper than OEM. Its not due a top end refresh for quite a while yet, but its nice to know I have them should the worst happen.

photo1_zps04550106.jpg

This winter Im wanting to refresh the engine. Its showing no signs of letting up but I suppose its preventative maintenence. I got this SP crank shaft quite some time ago.

photo2_zps3c0a7113.jpg

It feels good but Ive been looking into getting it rebuilt, the problem being it is around £500 in parts alone to get it re-built. I can get a brand new one for £855. Not sure which way to go yet. If I sell this one and buy a brand new one, there wont be a huge amount of difference. The desicion is even harder to make when the crankshaft thats in my bike now seems to be showing no signs of letting up. A lot of money for preventative maintenence I think you'll agree?

It still has the bogging/flatspot problem I described in an earlier post, but its work-round-able so Ive never bothered to sort it. I know how to provoke it therefore I easily work around it.

I did however find that one of the carb mounting intake rubbers was perished and cracking. Not all the way through but nearly, so 2 new OEM ones were purchased.

Its had a new OEM throttle cable set.

I got a new steering damper for it -

4_zpsf8b5bdcb.jpg

I found it was too stiff though even on its lowest setting so I rebuilt it with the lightest suspension fluid I could find - http://www.opieoils....sion-fluid.aspx

Its much better now. Whilst it was in bits I also took the opportunity to get rid of the gold anodising.

I am also hoping to get the rest of the frame and other bits powdercoated this winter.

Its in dire need of a rear tyre now, the centre is almost bald. The sides of the front tyre are also looking well worn. Both tyres were new at the same time so I might just put 2 on. It must be quite hard on the front when cornering? All other bikes Ive ever had Ive always got 2 fronts to one rear.

Chain, sprocket, brake pads and discs are all still in excellent condition. With it being a light bike I suppose it wont be very hard on them.

And there we have my latest update. Not mush else to report really. Its went through about 6 litres of Castrols finest this year. It certainly likes a drink!

• 2 weeks later...

Spot the brand spanking new crank :biggrinvk4: -

005_zps5b282ccf.jpg

004_zpsa3150686.jpg

Standard crank is spot on, however the drive side outer bearing is sounding a bit rough. It also has a bit of side to side play in it, so its probably a good thing I pulled it apart. Thrust washer to conrod clearance is still within spec though, so with a new outer bearing it'll still be good to go.

New crank installed.

photo1_zps229dab63.jpg

Pistons etc cleaned up, and a new set of rings will be put in.

photo2_zpsf5579946.jpg

Cylinders are away to Martin Johnson to be ported and have the squish set in the search for a bit more power. I dont really know much about either, but he seems to know his onions with these things so whatever he's happy with, Im happy with.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine finished -

photo1_zpsb8a3da6c.jpg

New crank

New piston rings, small end bearings, circlips and gaskets.

Im taking a risk putting the old pistons back in, they should still have a few thousand miles left in them, so hopefully it should be ok.

You can see the porting done by Martin Johnson to his 'not-quite-SP' spec. Should give a good gain in power combined with a set of pipes whilst still maintaining decent road manners.

photo2_zps18eeecee.jpg

Onto the chassis next for powdercoating.

Bead blast & satin finish FTW :)

Is this referring to another type of finish Kayla, or are you referring to powdercoat?

Im a massive powdercoat fan, Triple S FTW!

Is this referring to another type of finish Kayla, or are you referring to powdercoat?

Bead blast back to bare ally, then scotchbrite the frame :)

It has crossed my mind and I actually do think it would look better for it, but I'd be buggered if I could be arsed with the hassle of doing it

<<Insert lazy icon here>>

:biggrinvk4:

Bead blast back to bare ally, then scotchbrite the frame :)

How long is it likely to take to scotchbrite a frame? My RS frame has been polished at some point, but I can't be arsed with the up-keep!

I depends how fussy you are! I usually give it around 15 minutes. If you use WD40 on the scotchbrite pad it helps to protect the finish.

Just had my frame and swinger for the RGV5 powdercoated a textured satin Black by Triple S. Exactly the finish i hoped for!! Well happy.

Just had my frame and swinger for the RGV5 powdercoated a textured satin Black by Triple S. Exactly the finish i hoped for!! Well happy.

How much did they charge you for that?

I use them for all my powdercoating, its a 220 mile round trip everytime but I wont use anyone else after being let down by others in the past. They really are worth it.

Hoping to have the frame tore down and powdercoated before Xmas, since I have got the engine finished Ive run out of interest.

Just the frame and swinger would have been £125 as its not a standard colour. I also had wheels and all smaller brakcets and subframes done. Like you i wont use anyone else now, and will recomend them in future. Luckily there not to far from me.

Anyone remember this? -

005-1.jpg

Had a local engineering company tidy it up for me with a bit of ali welding, then dressing it back. Its far from perfect but it is certainly better than what it was and wont be noticable at all when the frame is finished.

photo_zpsa454a855.jpg

Did the trip to Triple S powdercoating this morning with the frame, swingarm and various other pieces so should have them back next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Busy weekend. Did another trip to Triple S yesterday morning, left at 6.15am and was home for 11.30am. Had 3 hours yesterday, then from 8.30am this morning on it.

Starting to look like a bike again -

photo2_zpsc8a240af.jpg

Frame & swingarm (kinda a metallicy black), subframe (satin black), top yoke (satin black), bottom yoke (silver) and 2 fairing braces (satin black) done. The frame is slightly more gloss than I would have liked but overall Im very happy with it.

Ordered all the fluids Im going to need, so hopefully will get it fired up at some point this week.

It lives, started 4th kick!

Its sounding much quieter mechanically than it did before, maybe that bearing on the original crank was worst than I thought. I also took out a little bit of lateral play in the powervalves which will also have helped. They rattled like buggery before, a well known complaint on the 3XV especially with the bottom cylinder.

A minor coolant leak has stopped play though, need a new gasket for one of the water union pipes. I tried to get around it using threebond but it doesnt seem to be playing ball.

As it stands now -

photo1_zpsaa598c13.jpg

You can see the finish on the frame and swing arm a bit better here, its a very close match to the OEM finish, just a bit more gloss than I would have liked, but certainly an improvement -

photo23_zps3829fa87.jpg

Going to give it a couple of heat cycles then some carefull setting up and bedding in.

I may have some spannies lined up for it... :rock:

Archived