Chain adjustment

V6Jon

When I am riding on a neutral throttle, or opening up from a closed throttle I get a huge amount of "transmission lash", making it very difficult to ride smoothly.

The bike is a ZX9, it was serviced a couple of months ago and runs fine. This is making me think this is down to slack in the chain, which I have checked and it is within the range given in the handbook. But the problem is so bad, I am starting to doubt if I have been doing it right all these years ??

I have been doing this half way between the two sprockets by measuring the movement of a rivet when I press the chain toward the swing arm.

Any suggestions ?

Should I just adjust to the least amount of slack in the range ?

Or just flog it and buy something with a shaft drive as I am too mechanically incompetent to own something this complicated :)

When I am riding on a neutral throttle, or opening up from a closed throttle I get a huge amount of "transmission lash", making it very difficult to ride smoothly.

slack in the chain, which I have checked and it is within the range given in the handbook.

I have been doing this half way between the two sprockets by measuring the movement of a rivet when I press the chain toward the swing arm.

sounds like you are measuring the slack correctly, though of course it's difficult to tell just from your description. Have you got a mate who can give you a second opinion, and, if necessary, give you a good slap for not being able to adjust a chain properly?

other things to consider are: chain & sprockets, are they ker-nackered? is the chain properly lubed? tyre pressures correct [always check!]

are you in the right gear when you open the throttle? are you riding around in way too high a gear?

Hello mate-i would try to check the chain tension at various points in the chains length incase it has a tight spot-quite common on worn chains.Maybe also check your throttle for slackness as that also makes quite a difference when it comes to twisting the wrist and getting the power to the road?

As a general rule, it is better to run the chain a little bit slack rather than too tight. It sounds like you are checking everything OK so try these if you are still struggling.

1. The adjustment markings on the swing arm are not always very accurate. You could be bang on the markings and the wheel my be out of line. You can check alignment using anything from a piece of string, a long spirit level, a plank of wood, with a laser pointer, by eye if you are not myopic like me!

2. (you need a second person to help with this) Once you are happy with the wheel alignment, and with both wheels on the ground, slacken the wheel nut and the brake torque arm bolt at the caliper end. Get your helper to sit on the bike and apply the back brake. Tighten the bolts. This helps to ensure everything is aligned and running sweet.

3. As everyone else has said, lubricate the chain thoroughly, check the chain and sprockets for condition and tight spots, check the cush driver rubbers are OK.

4. Still got the trouble? If it always happens in third gear, bear in mind that the ZX9 has an issue with third gear (ask Fuelline, his went recently).

Some good comments here, just wanted to add...

- Always recheck the tension with the bike on the floor and someone sat on it - they quite often tighten up as you load the suspension. And as someone else said, check it at various points around the chain.

- Check the cush drive by trying to rotate the sprocket with respect to the wheel, or rotating the wheel with the bike in gear.

- It could just be the way the gearbox is. There is always a certain amount of backlash in the gear dogs to enable you to actually shift, some bikes have more than others. I know the ZXR4 H1 motor I've got in my bike at the moment is rubbish compared to the original L3 motor.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will have another go at this over the weekend.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the gearbox as it has only done about 7000 miles and it happens in all gears. The cush rubbers seemed fine a couple of months ago when I put new tyre's on, so I think I will start with adjusting the free play in the throttle, cleaning / lubing the chain, and checking the alignment / tension with the wheels on the ground.

Just in case anyone else has any suggestions, while riding last night I was thinking about what it was doing, and how best to describe it, and came up with :

If you are riding a bike on a constant throttle (the engine is effectively just counteracting resistance and drag), and you start going down a hill, there is a point where the bike will start to 'push' against the engine, and likewise if you start going up a hill there is a point where the engine will start to 'push' the bike up the hill.

On a flat road, and constant throttle it feels as though the bike is 'bouncing' between these two points.

Cheers

Jon

I'd say that sounds more like a fuelling problem if it's jerking about on a neutral throttle, rather than the chain or drivetrain.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to worry anyone here but......

I had a similar problem (ish) a couple of years ago on my trx. Thought it was the fueling or something. After checking the whole bike it turned out that i had seized the inlet camshaft. It had picked up then carried on spinning for maybe a 600 miles. I managed to re profile it ok and is fine now.

Just a thought, hope its not this though.

Sorry for any worry i may have caused.

Archived