Overheating Triumph

westcountrytriumph

Hi, dont know if anyone can help with this........

When riding my bike in traffic, the temp shoots way up to nearly 100, but i can bring it back down if im riding normally.

If I stop the bike before giving it time to cool down by riding it, it tends to leak a little bit of coolant.

It never used to do this, its only just started, but im worried, i dont want to end up breaking it.

The only thought i have had is maybe the thermostat is not working and getting the fan to kick in. Could this be rectified by bypassing he thermostat to a seperate swith on the handlebars? I would prefer not to as id like to leave the bike standard, so if there are any other thoughts on rectifying this problem, it would be much appreciated.

O yeah, its a 2001 Triumph TT600

Cheers in advance

Adam

Hi, dont know if anyone can help with this........

When riding my bike in traffic, the temp shoots way up to nearly 100, but i can bring it back down if im riding normally.

If I stop the bike before giving it time to cool down by riding it, it tends to leak a little bit of coolant.

It never used to do this, its only just started, but im worried, i dont want to end up breaking it.

The only thought i have had is maybe the thermostat is not working and getting the fan to kick in. Could this be rectified by bypassing he thermostat to a seperate swith on the handlebars? I would prefer not to as id like to leave the bike standard, so if there are any other thoughts on rectifying this problem, it would be much appreciated.

O yeah, its a 2001 Triumph TT600

Cheers in advance

Adam

This is totally normal on the TT600, i worked on the development bikes many years ago doing the fuel injection calibration, which incidently also controls the fan switch on and off point. As for the leaking coolant, check your fill level, then the rad cap sealing pressure.

When you switch off the engine the pressure rises in the system, this will cause the rad cap to blow off the excess pressure to the expansion bottle. when the pressure drops the coolant should be sucked back into the system

Cheers for the quick replies!!!!

It only ever seems to get hot when its sat in trafffic and not moving. I dont think the fan comes on though. Have you any idea what sort of temperature the bike has to get too before the fan kicks in?

This is the first bike I have had thats had a fan though, so im not sure when its meant to come on.

Im not sure where the water comes from when it leaks, it generally happens though when its been left for a few minutes, then i come back theres a little puddle on the floor and a little bit of water in the bottom of the fairing.

Im gunna wait till the weekend, and have a better look when i have given it chance to get it hot!

On a slightly different note, kwikkwak, you mentioned that you worked with the devlopment bikes on the fuelling. Do you have any idea if the jerky transition from closed throttle to open is a design fault for the bike as i have read on a few websites, or something that can be easly rectified?

Once again, thank you for the help

Adam

Hello mate, the cooling fan should cut in at around 103/4 degrees. Normal op temp is around 90 degrees but will rise in traffic.

As the earlier poster pointed out, check the fill level in your expansion bottle, if its too full coolant will leak from the breathers at the rear of the fairing area when stood.

The only other niggles are the pressure caps which can be faulty, the fan relays can burn out (fan would not run) or the system could be airlocked.

If it is an airlock the temp temds to rise to 120+ degrees pretty quickly causing minor heart failiure. As its only superheated steam which is locked around the temp sensor that gets to this temp and not the coolant itself dont panic too much!

From what you have said I suspect the coolant will be overfull. While checking it also take a quick peek at the plastic elbow on the return pipe into the expansion tank as these are quite easy to catch and can split. easy fix.

Lastly the fueling, the low speed throttle responce on the TT is not the best, the first thing to do first is nip down to your dealer and get them to check the ECM tune. There were lots of updates for the TT and as you dont know the history of the bike it may be running on a tune for race exhaust etc etc.

The next step if its no better is get the dealers to set up the Fi system. This involves balancing throttle bodies, setting idle speed CO content and checking the Idle speed stepper motor is operating within its optimum range. I would recomend you get the dealer to do this work as its a very prescise job and very easy to get wrong.

Good luck mate,

Ben

The fan cuts in when the coolant temperature sensor sees 105 deg C. It should turn off when you see 99 deg C.

As for the fueling issue between 3 and 4000 rpm. This is what brought my release from the contract, in previous incarnations of prototype it did not exist, then 3 months before production started when all parts were in there final white tooling phase it appeared. I told Triumph nothing could be done about it. The management where i was also told them similar, However Triumph did not like my attitude towards the job as i was telling them that exhaust, cams or throttle bodies need to be changed to get rid of the cause of the problem. 1 month later i was off the job

It is possible to ride through the issue but only if you have been thrashing the bike and the exhaust is well and tryuely hot. However this is not always possible.

It can be reduced in terms of feel but getting the dealer to set the bike up properly, balanced throttles, A/F ratio at 15 % at Idle, not the 14.7 most dealers think they have to set it up at.

As mentioned by Triumphben, the stepper motor position, this will not affect the ride as once the throttle is cracked open the stepper position goes to its maped position. It will remain here during use until the throttle is closed and it is then used in response to the rate at which the bike should slow down.

Archived