The Start Of It All

Sean

Bit more done today, got a new mig welder for Christmas, so gave it a whirl. Don’t worry ive only tacked it so excuse the awful welds been welding for 4 hours now. A local engineering firm are doing the final welds for me. Got the replacement centre stand box section made up and tacked in. measure 30 times cut twice weld once. Hopefully going to make up the rest of the linkage mounts out of MDF tomorrow as a template.

Piccccs :tacheemoticonwh7:

I now have wireless access in the garage, useful for referring to NikFubars thread (RD forum) for how he’s done his mounts.

DSC05172.jpg

Engine mounted for the 1st time in the frame to keep everything true and straight.

DSC05174.jpg

Still fits

DSC05177.jpg

Take 1 length of box section

DSC05180.jpg

Get filing

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05182.jpg

DSC05183.jpg

Had to spread the frame in order to get it in, threaded bar I found under my tool box done the trick

DSC05187.jpg

DSC05185.jpg

It fits, happy days

DSC05196.jpg

DSC05199.jpg

Trued everything up, nice and straight and tacked it in place

Used a piece of stainless round bar though the peg mounts as my reference point, this also allowed me to check the frame was straight using this as a start point then measuring to different locations each side.

DSC05203.jpg

DSC05204.jpg

End :tacheemoticonwh7: for now....

Bit more progress today, finished the other mount off. Once again excuse the cack welds there all getting redone soon.

I was missing a bearing spacer on the linkages, step forward no good TZR front spindle. Perfect fit OD and ID just needed to make it the right length.

DSC05206.jpg

To think my neighbour was going to throw that out……fecking heavy mind you

DSC05207.jpg

That’ll do for now till I can use the college lathes and some proper material.

DSC05209.jpg

Made up a template out of MDF for the linkage

DSC05210.jpg

Started marking out the metal version, bolted through to make sure everything stays in place. Lost a knuckle on the vice.

DSC05217.jpg

Chain drilled everything to speed it up

DSC05223.jpg

Cleaned up with the angle grinder, then a flap wheel

DSC05225.jpg

Clamped down

DSC05231.jpg

Tacked in place

DSC05235.jpg

Now I need to make some of these once college is open again.

dogbones.jpg

Side panles are reproduction made out of modern ABS plastic :lol:

Clock cases are NOS (still available from yamaha)

Tail piece is NOS (still available from yamaha)

Grommets etc NOS

Lots of stainless

Wiring loom is a copy but is spot on to the original

All easy to find, through a guy on the RD forum :eusa_whistle: Just the money bit that hurts lol

Update time…

Making the shock mounts, chain drilled

DSC05257.jpg

Clamped up with template ready to be shaped with the angle grinder

DSC05258.jpg

Welded in place, 3 shock position holes. Standard, 15mm higher, 15mm lower the other holes were to allow me to jig it square in the frame

DSC05279.jpg

DSC05280.jpg

She be rolllingggg, looks such a mess right now though ;) Need to finalise ride height, but all my linkages work so well happy :icon_salut:

167287_1806056071199_1233835374_32142021_3961657_n.jpg

Love the lump hammer dude!!!

:icon_salut:

• 2 months later...

Update time. After a while off the forum i think it's time for an update. The LC got evicted from the ramp just after Christmas to make room for my Dads X7's engine to be rebuilt. Lost a ring pin on the lhs piston and fubared that barrel and head. So out the engine came, fresh new barrels with no extreme porting like the ones that were fitted, unknown origin. Nothing down low then all hell at 8,500rpm a lick of paint on the cases and a quick clean she's ready to go again. So back to stock and go from there.

Anyway Elsie's now taken the main stage in the garage and im beginning to crack on with it again. Ive since finished the rear suspension linkages, all be it but the dog bones of which im yet to fit. The rear wheel is also in the swing arm now, just a few spacers where required to get it nice and centre, sprocket alignment doesn’t seem to be as big a problem as i first thought, so happy days. Next on the agenda is the rear caliper hanger. Currently using the old TZR125 4DL one but it's no good with my MV Augusta caliper, so I’ve drawn up some templates and will get to work on it once I’ve got some ally.

Front end is also in now with the RGV VJ21 top yoke, this allows me to use the LC ignition lock with not much hassle unlike the KR1s yoke which would of required more work than the 6 million dollar man. All that needed was a small top hat bush to reduce the steerer tube hole diameter to suit the KR1s steerer. I still need to machine another spacer to sit underneath the yoke, but a piece of copper pipe will suffice for now.

I’ve finished making the bracket for the YPVS servo whish sits nicely behind the headstock with good cable routing until i put the tank back on :oops: so back to the drawing board with that one.

Next job is to find an appropriate set of front discs that will work with both the 3MA front wheel and the KR1s forks and calipers. FZR400's are looking promising so far and have found a set that I can test fit soon.

Enjoy the pics, comments welcome ;)

Sean

The X7 (Taken by ResCogs)

189187_111029895644383_100002121192088_100654_5771370_n.jpg

Loom and ginger bread men :eusa_whistle:

IMAG0195.jpg

Side stand bolt thank you Norbo

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

it has to be said, this thread has galvanised me into action (and associated wallet-lightening...)

It made me look beyond the RGV front and rear ends I was planning and do something different...

lcchassis.jpg

my chassis rolls too - needs a different rear caliper mount (going for an FZR400 3tj underslung one)

Im about get the rear axle done, then I can finalise the chassis and decide how much to jack the back-end up by.

Thanks for all the compliments guys, it's a real confidence booster for me. Back on the project now as ive only got 2 months left at 6th form, and i need to exploit the lathes and milling machines for all there worth. My TZR is currently up on the ramp having a good clean down and polish ready for the summer.

Alex, thats looking really smart! I love RWU forks on LC's just not the spindly yamaha ones they came with. :icon_blackeye:

Ive also got to sort out an under slung caliper mount for the MV caliper im using, gunna start from scratch i think

Ive also got to sort out an under slung caliper mount for the MV caliper im using, gunna start from scratch i think

my problem is that I have no access to anything more technical than a bench grinder, angle grinder and trusty black and decker drill.

hence I have to look at whats fitted as standard to bikes, and see if it can easily be modified to my requirements.

If the 3tj rear caliper turns out to be too involved to fit, I will be modifying the current swingarm and calipiper mount.

I'm working on my father to utilise him and his hobby-lathe and his milling machine to do some things.

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a spare couple of hours this afternoon, so i knocked up some Stainless adjustable length dogbones for the 3MA arm. Quite proud of these :oops:

DSC05764.jpg

DSC05768.jpg

Archived