R1 clutch

MonkeyJim

From the 'useless things bought on ebay' thread...

A few weeks ago, i bought a Barnett coil-spring clutch conversion for the R1.

Got it for £40 on an impulse ebay buy. well not totally impulse as it's the right model part for my bike, I know that at least.

Do I have any problems with the existing [diaphragm spring] clutch? No, not really... so why did I buy it?

BarnettClutch1.jpg

It was shiny, that is my only defence, m'Lud. Haven't fitted it yet

anyone know if they're any good, anyone fitted one? For the price of a clutch gasket - about a fiver - I might have a go.

or I might just put it back on ebay...

I throw myself on the mercy of the forum members!

Yes I have one on my R1 and I've fitted plenty to customer's bikes.

They're an improvement on the badly-designed standard diaphragm spring setup and give a smoother clutch action and are more resistant to slipping. Especially on tuned/more powerful motors. Keep it at that price.

Yes I have one on my R1 and I've fitted plenty to customer's bikes.

They're an improvement on the badly-designed standard diaphragm spring setup and give a smoother clutch action and are more resistant to slipping. Especially on tuned/more powerful motors. Keep it at that price.

thanks! that's the first time I've heard of anyone actually using one.

now, just to complicate things further, I'm not running the standard clutch in mine.

The oe clutch was made of cheese - and quite a soft cheese at that - and was soon slipping like a bastard. On the advice of my local trusted garage, it was replaced with an EBC heavy duty kit including a heavy duty diaphragm [sp?] spring, also from EBC i think.

This was some years ago just after I got the bike, and I've never had any problems with it since then, apart from a bit of judder when slipping the clutch slow riding in traffic etc

Would you still recommend fitting the Barnett jobbie? Ta muchly for your advice

Oh. PS. I've read somewhere on t'interweb that you can get different strength springs for the Barnett conversion, and some people have recommend a mix of gold & silver springs. Mine came with six gold ones, any advice on this?

PPS. it came with no instructions, but I'm reasonably ok twirling the old spanners. I'm hoping it's just case of: clutch cover off, diaphragm spring off, Barnett on, cover back on with new gasket.

or will I end up crying into my clutch basket....?

No worries mate. I am also running EBC plates in mine, so you'll be fine there. Any plates will work with the Barnett in fact.

To my knowledge I don't think EBC ever made a heavy duty diaphragm spring. Commonly they get doubled up with standard ones but it's a poor fix in my book. If you're getting clutch judder it would be wise to check the straightness of all your plates, friction and steel when you pop the Barnett in. A dead easy job, no instructions needed :D

I did notice in your picture that you only showed 6 springs. They're just bare metal right? That means it was produced a while ago (no problem there though) because now they come supplied with 6 gold painted springs and six black. No difference in actual spring material or wind just that the black are longer (more coils) than gold so hold the clutch under more tension. From your picture it looks like you have the equivalent of the black which may be a little heavy for you.

I do indeed use three long, three short because it gives me the best feel and I know the clutch won't slip. My motor's not standard though and won't be even more after Winter so I may need all 6 long but I seriously doubt it. If you fit the springs you have and don't get on with the lever feel, shout me up and I'll post you my 3 spare short ones.

Hope that helps ;)

Hope that helps :lol:

muchos gracias senor!

it does indeed help. Sounds like it's worth having a go at fitting it, esp. now knowing that it'll be ok with the EBC plates.

when I said judder, it's not really judder. It's more like it's a bit grabby, which I just put down to the heavier duty clutch.

and yes, mine came exactly as in that pic - with those 6 identical springs, which are gold in colour and yes, bare metal.

Thanks for your offer of the other springs, I'll let you know what it's like when I get round to fitting it.

cheers!!

No worries at all ;)

If you're not far from Stamford, lincs then maybe you can pop in and pick them up if you need them. I can't get enough of R1's so it's always nice when another swings by :lol:

What model do you have by the way?

No worries at all :blink:

If you're not far from Stamford, lincs then maybe you can pop in and pick them up if you need them. I can't get enough of R1's so it's always nice when another swings by ;)

What model do you have by the way?

not a million miles away - I'm in St Albans so about an hour south down the A1.

mine's a '99 4xv. Originally totally bog standard but now far from it.

over the years it's been turned into a fast road / trackday tool. It's the best bike in the world!!

Did someone say pic whoring?

2760072570_95759c829e_b.jpg

Excellent mate, very nice indeed :pb2:

I've got a 2003 5PW, same as you standard when I got it but not anymore. This pic is quite old, it's got a few more bits and pieces etc. on now and changes here and there. This Winter's the motor's back out for yet more tuning and I'm making a custom airbox/ramair through the headlights combo. Dreading that bit but really looking forward to it at the same time ;)

Tiger1.jpg

Would be nice to meet up sometime. Plenty of like-minded R1 riders up here and I have a bike shop where I spend a fair bit of time messing with R1's, tuning them and sorting bent race biks etc :blink:

Tiger1.jpg

Would be nice to meet up sometime. Plenty of like-minded R1 riders up here and I have a bike shop where I spend a fair bit of time messing with R1's, tuning them and sorting bent race biks etc :)

Good skillzzzz, digging the fur Daddy-o!!!!!

yep good idea re. meeting up, sounds like I need to have a nosey round your shop sometime!

you coming to Oulton Park on 1st Nov?

:P Cheers

As much as I'd love to do Oulton that's gonna be slap-bang in the middle of my bike being in bits :) I did Oulton for the first time this year, twice in fact and absolutely loved it, my favourite track by far I've done. It's quite a trek to come and watch there unfortunately...

My shops only small, just me in it in fact but I like to think I do some good stuff here :)

Hello,

I've got one of them there clutch's in my 98 bike, its great! The instructions I got said for a road bike, use 3 short, 3 long springs, and use 6 long ones for if its in a car or sidecar outfit.

Hi marzcat fellow, where abouts is your shop mate as I work at Wittering and am a former R1 man myself, I know have a zx10r and a 7r.

I don't like the big shops and would much rather deal with someone on a smaller scale, as I find the service and advice is much better, or we could just go for a spin.

Cheers Budda.

Hi marzcat fellow, where abouts is your shop mate as I work at Wittering and am a former R1 man myself, I know have a zx10r and a 7r.

I don't like the big shops and would much rather deal with someone on a smaller scale, as I find the service and advice is much better, or we could just go for a spin.

Cheers Budda.

Hey mate, sorry only just seen your post :pb2:

Marzcat made me laugh.

M&M Motorcycles in Essendine, on Glen Industrial Estate. Swing by for a cuppa sometime mate ;)

I am only a little place though, just me! Do quite a few Wittering and Cottesmore bloke's bikes.

Lil' Mark.

Archived