Is there a Suspension guru in the PB house??

bustedballs

Popped a set of (ohlins) fork seals last year.

As I havent rebuilt suspension and time was not on my side (if things went wrong) I took them to my local dealer.

They came back without the leaks (like you'd expect), bolted them in the yolks, put my previous settings in and off I went on a track day.

To cut a long story short after a day of fettling, I have wound my preload off totally and still have 25mm of unused travel.

Where before I had 10mm of unused travel and still some adjustment left on the preload.

Any ideas as to whats going on? And what I can do to fix it?

Cheers

You could try backing off the compression damping a bit to see if that helps, or find out what fluid he's put in & the amount. If they have put too much fork oil in you will get a smaller air gap and that will stop the forks from using the available travel. hth

You could try backing off the compression damping a bit to see if that helps, or find out what fluid he's put in & the amount. If they have put too much fork oil in you will get a smaller air gap and that will stop the forks from using the available travel. hth

And if that's who I think it is, you could make sure that you take the stickers off your forks.

I might be tempted to look at the oil height as well, whatever they're not right.

And if that's who I think it is, you could make sure that you take the stickers off your forks.

I might be tempted to look at the oil height as well, whatever they're not right.

Erm what??? :wacko:

Erm what??? :)

Sorry Yamfan, looked at the Avatar and thought we might have the unmentionable one visiting again Sssshhhh Tomfoolery's lurking and I'm on about Shaun

:wacko:

Cheers for your responces.

I will get the manual out and see how many cc'c of oil should be in there.

If there is too much oil in their I will be posting the name of the dealer so you can all be aware.

Cheers for your responces.

I will get the manual out and see how many cc'c of oil should be in there.

If there is too much oil in their I will be posting the name of the dealer so you can all be aware.

Simple enough to sort - bear in mind that if they are Ohlins forks, you can alter the air gap by up to 30mm; they may still have put the forks together correctly with the air gap within the "normal" range, but it's not right for how you are using the bike.

The air gap in ohlins forks should be considered as adjustable as any other parameter; damping, ride height, preload or spring rate.

They'll be sweet when you get them tweaked a bit!

:pokeit:

-John

p.s. with ohlins, you also have to measure the oil level with the spring in place and the fork fully compressed, using the top of the outer tube as the marker point.

This is where the cock up normally occurs, folks who should know better do the oil level with the spring out and then drop the spring in and you lose about 60mm of the air gap.

I was reading all this in my Ohlins fork manual that came with the Tuono Factory i bought the other week.

Mine is having the fork seals replaced next week as one is leaking already.

The guy who is doing the work, asked me if i wanted Ohlins fork oil or A N Other brand. I've stuck with the Ohlins oil for now even though it costs 3 times the price. Did i do the right thing?

The guy who is doing the work, asked me if i wanted Ohlins fork oil or A N Other brand. I've stuck with the Ohlins oil for now even though it costs 3 times the price. Did i do the right thing?

Personally I'd go for genuine suzuki gsxr1000 fork seals. Last loads better than the ohlins ones.

Archived