Where are thou brakes?

Guest bikertiger

Guest bikertiger

My brakes have gone from being rubbish......to really really rubbish? The Lever back to the bar

I've noticed on the way home from work (so not much heavy braking :( )

Is it normal to go 'off so quickly?

- Simply get the braided lines and fluid changed the norm? Or anything else to look for?

One of these....

Attach and throw behind you :D

anchor.jpg

Are you losing fluid, stuck pistons??

If not change the fluid 1st by bleeding it through until you get nice clean new fluid coming out and if that doesn't work get some braided lines :(

At a standstill, give your lever a good pump. I know somebody with your sex-life should be highly adept at this.

Does the lever firm up? If so, there's air in the system, which is either from a knakcered master cylinder or a fitting not being done up fully, often a bleed nipple. That said, I know a lot of people sap ZX10R master cylinders as they don't like them much, maybe this is why?

At a standstill, give your lever a good pump. I know somebody with your sex-life should be highly adept at this.

Does the lever firm up? If so, there's air in the system, which is either from a knakcered master cylinder or a fitting not being done up fully, often a bleed nipple. That said, I know a lot of people sap ZX10R master cylinders as they don't like them much, maybe this is why?

Ohhh yeh it's a ZX10R

There's your answer then, as standard those brakes suck ass...

Firstly, see what you can do with new fluid and a proper bleed, then if all else fails, swap the master cylinder and reap the benefits....

First thing I did was swap to a Brembo M/C as the standard one is shit.I was getting the same as you-lever back to the bar and that was being gentle on the brakes.

Then I got some Brembo monoblocks.Not cheap but the std Tokicos are 2 piece held together with bolt made of a very soft cheese.The brakes are now awsome,easly the best I've ever used.

I should say that for general road use the calipers will be ok but not as you start to push them.It was because of this I was getting good initial bite then the lever would start to come further back at Brands in the wet.

But for a start,change the M/C.

Edit to add: If you get a Brembo M/C dont forget you need a brake light switch.Be careful if buying one of e-bay,loads of copies around.Also,change to braided lines.

Common problem on the 10.

Common fix in racing classes where you can't change the calipers is (after fitting braided lines obv.) change the bolts that hold the two halves of the caliper together as they are made of cheese. Also change the caliper mounting bolts.

Archived