cbr 1000 - dead? help needed!

andyvanderpandy

gooood evening all,

having a ride about in the lovely sunny weather today when disaster struck.

my brother has a t-reg fireblade, which until now had been running sweet.

today after around an hour of riding it started making an awful sound.

my bro was doing 40-50ish i think when it happened - he thinks he may have missed a gear and the revs redlined.

after this we stopped and ticking over in neutral theres a horrible noise coming from the engine.

the noise is constant in all gears.

the clutch doesnt stop the noise.

after it was still ridable, but we didnt go over 30mph in case it blew up or something.

anywho, heres a video of it sat on a paddock stand. its in neutral, but if the throttle is blipped the front sprocket starts to jump.

poorly bike

we were thinking gearbox or clutch as the obvious culprits, any help will be rewarded with MANA! :)

First things first, what were you thinking STARTING it, never mind RIDING it?! You've probably made it worse.

Were all the cylinders firing?

If so, my best guess would be the big end bearing has gone.

Either way, I'm sure this is going to entail a full strip down. On the upside, you can tinker with it while it's apart and make it much more betterer.

Oh, and it's not a CBR1000 it's a CBR900RR. They're usually bullet proof too. What's the mileage?

dont know much about the bike (obviously!). dont know millage, not sure about oil, but he's not the kinda person who would skimp on servicing etc, hes only had it a year.

not sure if hes tinkered today or not, will find out more when i see him!

That sounds like a mahoosive bottom end-com-crank problem to me too, just a big thundering horrible chugga chugga noise.

First things first, drop the oil and see if any bits of solid something o another come out with it. Come to think of it, when was the last time the oil was checked? Bottom end problems are usually the result of epic oil starvation from 1) low oil pressure or 2) lack of oil at all

this makes me very sad :thumbsup: but! post pics and videos and whatever with everything you find.

As for the sprocket moving, I take it the rear wheel was of the ground? The drag from the oil is enough to sometimes allow the rear wheel to be turned when the gearbox is in neutral if the wheel is off the ground :thumbsup:

yea was on paddock stand, but its not smooth when it was turning, it was like something was sliping then biting

Another thing that could be a problem is some kind of cam-chain problem, caused by the sudden revving when he missed the gear (finding tha false neutral). To be honest, I'd be suprised if there was an oil issue....fireblades arnt known as oil drinkers.

If he;s oly had it a year...one worries about what tortures it could have received in the hands of others :thumbsup: not everyone knows when to change the oil (about 5000 miles) and some wil ldo it once a year, wether they cover 1000 or 10,000 miles *cringe*

well its funny you should say that, this problem sounds like a much louder version of the rattle my (and every other) zxr400 used to have - this was always atributed to the tensioner, but like i say, much much louder.

That does sound screwed...

Just collected an exup and thought that had bottom end issues..but it is a faster and more knocking sound than your clunking. Makes me optimistic..

We'll see - race you to get the engine out!

That does sound screwed...

Just collected an exup and thought that had bottom end issues..but it is a faster and more knocking sound than your clunking. Makes me optimistic..

We'll see - race you to get the engine out!

gentlemen... start your angle grinders... GO!

Archived