SRAD 750 WW SHORT/HEADACHE

jaycee

starter%20relay.jpg

Ok as stated elsewhere (drifted my OWN thread), my SRAD has a mysterious short somewhere. I have had the following fuses blow in the last 2 weeks: Fuel circuit 10A, signal circuit 15A, Ignition circuit 10A and twice today, the main fuse, 30A has blown.

I cannot find a short from a wire to the frame anywhere but the twice today that the main fuse has blown, the positive cable from the ignition relay, which is connected directly to the battery has been testing dead short to earth. If I disconnect the cable from the relay ( to test if the relay is shorting), it rings out dead to earth, but the battery does not seem to have a short across it. Or am I being thick and I cannot test a battery for a short with a normal test meter?

If there IS a short, does that indicate a faulty reg/rec? The battery is only 3 months old. i had an issue earlier in the year which Ithought was reg/rec related but when I tested the part with the use of a table that somoeone on here gave me a link to, it came up fine. I fitted the new battery and the bike has run faultlessly until the other week. At this time, i bought a used reg/rec from Kia Busa of this forum that turned out to from a 600 SRAD.

Would I be able to use this safely or is the 750 one a higher rated capacity?

iv had this happen my self,but carnt remember wot it was,might be back to the main plug under the left ram tube ,as this does go green and can sort out,and blow this fuse.

but looking at the dogey wiring youy have with the blue tape on a suspect you have a sort in the loom round this area?

Sie, as far as we can work out, there has been an immobileser at some point and its been removed. Under all the blue tape are proper soldered and heat-shrunk joints. I've tested them all.

Under the left intake, you say? I'll go and check it out.

Obviously, your bikes electrics are a good bit different to mine, but mine's had a starting issue relating to electrics in the same area as your photo. I pulled all the connectors off and srayed the hell out of them with wd40 and they now work fine (I hope). What I'm thinking is that the weather protection round there isn't too good, so you might have some small issues going on.

With regards your reg/rec, it's a doddle to test it, just stick a voltmeter over the battery while you run the bike, make sure you're getting about 13v at tickover, and then it should raise up to about 14v or so by about 4krpm, then flatten off and not get any higher apart from maybe 0.1v or something. if it still keeps going up then you've a duff regulator and this'll pop fuses, bulbs etc as well as toasting your battery, as the voltage will get pretty high.

I've done what Sie said and opened the plugs under the left hand intake.

FFS! totally green verdigris everywhere.

Half a tin of contact cleaner and about the same of WD40 and much useage of wet and dry emery paper we have a running bike.

Not only is it running, but it seem quicker, it wheelied off the throttle in second gear!

Loz, I checked the voltages earlier and it was clipping, but there are other tests, like impedances across connections and stuff. I had a link somewhere but I cannot find it.

Once again, thank you very much guys, I am heading straight to Skye tomorrow morning :eusa_whistle:

the one mod i always do is remove the bloody small green conecter and the big white one on all MY srads,as this is tha root of most of all srad electrical problems,its a must.

Archived