Aprilia rsvr running problems

ovi

My brother has a 2004 rsvr and has developed these problems :

- The bike ticks over at about 500 rpm

- It sounds like it is misfiring

- when the throttle is twisted it does not rev as normal and continues to 'misfire'? as it slowly revs.

- when it gets into the 6000+ rev range it sounds okay / normal.

When trying to ride it it is like a 50cc bike until the bike revs up (eventually) and then you have to grab the clutch as the power comes in (and nearly throws you off).

Any ideas as to the cause would be appreciated. The fuel filter is not blocked and flowing. The spark plugs appear okay visually but will be changing these soon .

Give Griff at Aprilia Performance a bell. He's the man for sorting you out. Just describe all that and he'll point you in the right direction.

i seem to remember that a faulty sensor on the 04+ models can put the bike into 'limp home' mode, cutting the revs.

Also the wee vacuum lines on the throttle bodies can cause really bad running at low revs if they're holed/cracked.

I'm going to fit new plugs and see how that goes. while I'm on i will check the 2 thin vacuum hoses and put in some injector cleaner in with the fuel. I have heard that water can get into the fuel tank which can cause problems.

The thing is his battery was flat so he charged it up but would not hold it's charge so we jumped it off his fiesta and with the old battery on it ticked over nicely. He put in the new battery and it fired up no problem and he rode it for 5 minutes to then it suddenly started running bad and when he got up some more engine speed on the road it would just accelerate with out control (to a point of course) . The battery terminals are fitted tightly.

I changed the plugs and tested them before fitting to see if the coils were ok and WD40 all connectors and the HT leads and it fired up fine and runs well .

I am shocked a the cost of replacement parts like the coils £190.

I was going to suggest reg/rec and coils..

Is it now sorted?

I was going to suggest reg/rec and coils..

Is it now sorted?

I hope so i dont know if he has had the chance to test it properly as he is busy with work

Jumping a bike from a car is not a good idea.

I killed the reg/rec on a VFR800Fi this way. I'd say check that the battery is actually charging now, I'd say you may have fried the reg/rec.

Make sure that the battery voltage should be about 13V or so with the bike tikcing over or up to about 3krpm.

A

Archived