Front sprocket removal

Harvey Mushman

Is it possible to remove a front sprocket without using the rear brake?

Being enthusiastic if not methodical I've stripped various parts from my NC30 including the rear brake and wheel but now I need to remove the front sprocket and so I'm stuck with it spinning whilst trying to undo it. Having now acquired a manual for the bike I see it says and quite understandibly to use the rear brake to stop the drive chain moving when removing the front sprocket! :eusa_wall:

Any suggestions welcome although I will mention the bike is not insured so just giving up on it and dumping it in the local river and reporting it stolen is not an option! :lol:

wrap the chain back round it and wedge it up with a big screwdriver through the links.

You will still need an impact gun though I think as some of those sprockets are done up bastard tight.

Quickest way will be to pop the wheel back on loose and wedge a block of wood through...may be tricky with the single sider though.....just buy the impact gun....new tools rock

Not sure if I have the budget for an impact gun this month!

I suppose I'll have to wait until I put the whole thing back together, then do it. Not the end of the world I suppose as next on my 'to do' list is cut out the sprocket cover so I don't have to remove it when at a track and want to change gearing.

..just buy the impact gun....new tools rock

so right!!

I don't think its wise to do it in gear, I haven't had any problems but it isn't considered a good thing for the gearbox.

They are a proper GENT to remove if they want to be, compressor and impact gun even took some effort on mine but that maybe your only way if you cant get the wheel back on and chock as KB says.

Mobile mechanic in your area?

That sprocket cover is surprisingly heavy, I thought it was plastic but metal with a really thick solid rubber in it, made some smoke when I cut it!

When you planning on having it all done by?

Bike should be track worthy by August Monty.

Borrowed an impact gun from a mate tonight to remove the top yoke nut but can't do the sprocket cause I can't get a 14mm socket to fit onto the gun! :eusa_wall:

Archived