VFR Rectifier

Versatile

Hi, not been on here much but I'm hoping the PB font of knowledge will help out.

I'm looking to replace the suspect rectifier in Lexie's 750 and read somewhere that other Honda items would fit.

Sooo, any idea which ones ?

I haven't trawled through the scrap yards yet as I wanted options first.

Thanks in advance.

If it's a combined reg/reg unit (I think it is) then pretty much anything with the same number of wires will work. I'm currently using one off a Honda Wet(super)dream on my Z1R with no issues. Basically there are usually 5 or 6 wires, three are the same colour and are for the AC output from the generator, it doesn't matter what order you connect these up, then there is an earth and a +ve output looped back to the battery to charge it. If it is a 6 wire one then this can either be a constant +ve to power ancillaries or sometimes a -ve output for an alarm or indicator cancelling system or something.

If you've got a multimeter you can connect up the generator output and start the bike (it'll run off the battery for a while as long as it's got charge) then test the other connectors to work out what is doing what. Once you've identified what all the wires are doing and connected them up test it's charging properly by checking the voltage across the battery with the engine idling, it should be around 12.5V. Then increase the revs up to 3,500RPM and the voltage across the battery should rise to around 14.5V then stay the same no matter how much more you rev it past that point. Hope that helps, Ben.

Thanks for that, I'll be warming up the multimeter...............

You can fit most modern ones. Buy the cheapest one with lots of fins on from ebay, bolt it on and away you go. R1, R6, zx6r anything will work.

You can fit most modern ones. Buy the cheapest one with lots of fins on from ebay, bolt it on and away you go. R1, R6, zx6r anything will work.

This is the important bit. If you're really clever you could mount it somewhere that it'll get a bit more air too it too.

Archived