Bloody electrics

jaycee

As some of you may be aware, my bike died on my way back from Angelsey last weekend. Due to one thing and another I haven't had the chance to look at it until today.

I stripped down the bike, checked and tested the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump, all the fuses. I eventually found a dodgy relay connection on the sidestand/indicator/diode relay. Cleaned that up and the bike ran.

So off I fly to Callendar to meet everyone from Scottishbikers.

5 Miles or so outside Callander, just as I am about to overtake someoene, the bike lurches but continues to run. However, the clocks, tail-light, indicators and more importantly, brake light are now dead.

Upon my arrival at the the meeting point (to cheers of joy from my fan club) we stripped the rear end off the bike, cheacked all the fuses and visible earths that we could but found nothing obvious. The bike was still starting so I headed off hoe mwhile they all went on to Lochearn for a wee run.

Back to the garage I go, to yet again strip the bike down. I suspect I've lost an earth return, as none of the fuses have gone and the bike is running well. It feels quicker actually, but that may just be due to the fact that I had no idea how fast I was going along one of the most heavily Policed roads in Central Scotland :eusa_whistle:

Ok HELP needed now. I found a fuse, the 15A signal fuse, blown but it didn't appear blown at the roadside, only when I put my meter over it. Replaced the fuse and started looking for an earth fault. I cannoot find anything. SO I've been running the bike and looking for anything shorting and I heard a sound coming from the ECU. Is there supposed to any sound coming from there? I though it was all solid state. It sounds like a relay or relays chattering at high speed, or perhaps and electrical spark.

I'm supposed to be going to Skye next weekend and I'm going to end up riding along waiting for it to die on me and carrying more spare fuses than spare clothes!

Archived