Puncture repairs

Gregorious77

Anybody had any success with these?

I have done the same repair 4 times now, twice with the little o shaped rubber plugs with glue and twice with the rubber string ones.

It always ends up with a slight leak, 1 psi a day ish which is a pain in the ass.

any suggestions.

Are you sure it's the puncture that's leaking? I only ask because I've done 10's of these and never had a problem once it's gone in OK. I'd hazard a guess that the repair is a red herring and you've an iffy valve.

Proper fitted from inside mushroom plugs are OK (done loads of these)

Never tried the emergency stick in from outside jobs, though I have some under the seat ready in case :tacheemoticonwh7:

Which ones did you use?

emergency stick in from outside jobbys.

its the repair that is leaking for sure, soapy water shows bubbles.

I have done the same repair 4 times now,

any suggestions.

Yes - get it properly repaired. ie. tyre off, and plugged from the inside.

those other ones are only meant to be a temporary / emergency repair to get you home; in the kit I've got under my seat it says you shouldn't exceed a certain speed eg 60kph, or something like that

Have you considered a new tyre?

Love to get new tyres as I dont really like 021's but cant afford any at the moment, might try and pick up some scrubs when I get payed.

Sorry mate sounded a bit negative there, Iv'e had a few repaired tyres with no snags, but if its been done that many times I'd be inclined to take it off.

Yes - get it properly repaired. ie. tyre off, and plugged from the inside.

those other ones are only meant to be a temporary / emergency repair to get you home; in the kit I've got under my seat it says you shouldn't exceed a certain speed eg 60kph, or something like that

I've only ever used the poke in from the outside ones and I've regularly got close to 4 times that speed on them, never had one leak once. The procedure goes like this:

Get the puncture hole, poke the tool about in there to rough up the edges and make it big enough for the stringy thing. Splodge a load of glue on there. Cover the string in glue. Add some more glue, just to be sure, but mainly get it on your hands. Stick some more round by the hole. Poke your stringy thing through and leave it about 2 minutes. Inflate the tyre a bit. Splodge some more glue on there and wonder how the glue's ended up on your legs. Leave it another minute or so, then use a 2nd canister to inflate your tyre further still. Snip the end off the string so you've not got a tassle. Put your lid on and go to ride to the nearest garage to fully inflate your tyre. Get glue in your eye and writh in agony for 2 minutes. Get to the garage and fully inflate the tyre, trying to inspect the repair but failing to even spot it now. Get home. Have another puncture in a years time, and then wonder why there's only a bit of glue left in the tube.

I fancy one of those fancy kits with the gun to put the mushroom in from the outside. I've used the figure of 8 type plugs before with no problems aside from being a ballache to fit the first few times.

Think I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one and get it plugged by the rip off tyre shop in my town.

Ill give em a ring tomorrow and see how much it will cost me then get it done. My old man said put a new tyre on but he can afford to do that and I cant.

I would want a pair anyway as I dont like 021's but they were new on when I got the bike.

might see if I can blag the old man to buy me a pair of something I use the bike every day for comuting to work plus weekends for joy.

Any suggestions?

Archived