Fuggin bike - DJPC3 issue?

originalracingsnake

Just got the bike started after a 4 week lay off from riding it as I had to fit SHIT loads of parts to it. Anyhow, one of those parts was a DJPC3. Just started the bike up for a run out in the sun to make sure the C+S I have just fitted was correctly adjusted and the bike felt OK.

Weeeeeeeeeeell, idles and starts just fine. Blip of the throttle causes it to stumble a bit but it returns to a nice steady idle. Out on the road it is a freakin nightmare. Anymore than a whiff of throttle and it stutters or dies, firing back up as you return the handle to the zero point. You can ride it round under 3k RPM no issues, but anymore than a whiff of throttle, and cunting thing just sulks.

This was previously a VERY fast K5 1000 GSX-R. Now it has some pretty parts on it, and it would more use as a fuckin ornament.

Not happy. I suppose I'll have to rip all the freaking fucking fairings off and start from scratch. Removing the fairing, again. I'm away in Leeds from Tuesday for 3 days so won't get to ride it or work on it at all for at least another week.

Want me to mail you my map ? I assume all is well with the PC3 etc ?

Just a thought, you haven't disturbed the TPS or STPS have you ?

Want me to mail you my map ? I assume all is well with the PC3 etc ?

Just a thought, you haven't disturbed the TPS or STPS have you ?

I have a few maps to try, got the LOR end can map on right now. Might try a base map tomorrow, time permitting.

Did not touch the TPS at all, apart from tapping into it with the supplied tap (new from DJ UK).

Can I "disable" the DJPC by removing the earth connection only?

I just want to rule it out from the equation without a full strip down of the bike to access the FI connectors.

More stuff:

Zero map, no difference.

Std bike map, no difference.

DJPC reset, no difference.

Bugger.

So will the DJPC be disabled if I only remove the earth, or do I have to take the thing right off?

More stuff:

Zero map, no difference.

Std bike map, no difference.

DJPC reset, no difference.

Bugger.

So will the DJPC be disabled if I only remove the earth, or do I have to take the thing right off?

IIRC you've gotta disconnect it all

IIRC you've gotta disconnect it all

Thanks for that. :eusa_dance:

IIRC you can just hinge the tank up, airbox off and then disconnect, but leave it all in place. I've had something similar on my K3, and found the earth cable bust just inside the PC3. Repaired it myself, but if you contact Martin at DJ, he'll sort you. When I needed my firmware updating due to being too earlier model for a USB job, I posted it too him and he sorted it and returned it FOC, with a full health check. The man is a true gent. (no, not that kind :eusa_dance: )

This just in from DJUK:

Hi Jim,

No, the Power Commander will need to be completely removed to disable it, simply removing the ground wire will cause the bike not to start.

Your description of the problem sounds more serious than a simple mapping issue, my recommendation would be to double check the install and carefully examine the Power Commander loom and connectors for any damage, if you are still having problems I would recommend returning the unit to your original place of purchase for testing.

If you require anymore information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards, Martin.

Some good news at last!

Friday I got home and lifted the tank to have another look at what was what. The bike ran fine before the DJPC was fitted, so it must be something I had done during the install, or a fecked DJPC.. Hmm, part of the loom WAS running close to the breather hose for the tank. Did not like that at all, so I rerouted that one section of loom and hose, and tried the bike. It was fine with the tank up, revving cleanly to >12k RPM. Quickly got geared up in lid and gloves and shot out to try the bike. MUCH better, but now stuttering at high RPM. I rode home feeling much more positive. Moving that loom had improved things but the bike still felt like it had fuelling issues. Was it a broken DJPC?. Tank up again....

I noticed that the fuel supply hose runs from the pump outlet under the tank, to the injector rail and has swivel fittings each end to stop the hose from

twisting as the tank is raised/lowered. What I had not noticed before, was the fitting can end up facing the wrong way at either end and as the tank is

dropped, the hose kinks just past the fitting. That my friends, is where the problem was. I messed with the orientation of the hoses, did a few dry runs of dropping the tank and then nipped out again.

MY GOD! Three months of occasional riding, and nearly a month of not riding at all, plus the addition of the DJPC3 and a good map, I bladdy near shit me'sen. I finally got to ride in to work this morning...

The bike now power wheelies in 3rd and 4th. This morning, I hit a bump mid corner than normally makes the bike shake its head a bit, and the fecker wheelied....... Popping and banging is much reduced on the overrun, and the bike pulls much more cleanly from 9k to 12k. I reckon it has gained at least 5 bhp low down and more in the mid range. Could this hose have been giving issues in the past? On that note, do Earls make a hose that will fit the swivel petrol hose connectors on the K5 1000? If they do, I'd like a hose made up that will not kink and will allow me to raise/lower the tank without cobbling the bike.

It is bladdy brilliant to be back riding again, and my MoJo is restored in the garage, and the riding MoJo is slowly coming back too. What a relief!

oh and :icon_bounce: for the hoses! We've all done it though.

I'll take that Prize Twerp, and bask in its glory. :eusa_whistle:

I'm just SO relieved it was not a horrible leccy problem that had the bike off the road for weeks and weeks.....

Archived