lifting a bike for shock adjustment

Moe

Hi PB

Wondering if anyone has a method for lifting a bike to enable adjustment to the front shock (put Yokes back to normal height). I dont want to take the bike to a garage just to undo a few bolts and slide the shock down.

i dont have a bike stand or lift.

Thanks for your help.

Couple of axle stands and a trolley jack? Or if you have a garage with rafters you could sling her off that

I jack mine up under the pipes with a trolly jack.

You can put a piece of bar or wood behind the headers and put axle stands under the ends.

If you are just doing the forks though I would jack it up so they are just topped out and adjust 1 at a time.

yup, forks compress, so just wind the preload right off, undo the botls on the one yoke, stick a big socket on the top of the fork so you've a flat surface and then put all your weight on it, with a mate there ready to nip up a bolt or two on the yokes when they're at the right point. If it's stuck a bit, a dink with a rubber mallet on the top of the socket should set if free. Then, once you've done one, do the other one. Using this method you can wiggle your way up and down the forks all night long if the mood takes you. If you'd got clip-on bars benteath the yokes it's even easier as you've got somethign to use as a handle!

Archived