Houston we have a problem...

MonkeyJim

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yayyy for Monkey! :):lol::) must've been really satisfying to have done all that by yourself

it's at times like these when I wished I still smoked.

Strangely enough I said pretty much the same to Zakalwe yesterday when replacing my swingarm (BTW the Abba swingarm removal kit is a godsend). I gave up tabs last October ish and hadn't considered that when half way through a fettling period that I'd still be craving a tab. There's just a warm glow of satisfaction to be had when lighting up whilst admiring your handiwork/bodging and yesterday I was at a total loose end until I realised that I had my electronic tab to have a quick toke on.

Top work there, sir.

Thankfully, I still smoke so that when I do the shims on both bikes I can take a well-earned break to roll one up and savour the taste of burning oil / brake fluid / whatever's on my hands

BTW the Abba swingarm removal kit is a godsend

Cheers guys ;)

Yeah Heds I've already got the Abba swingarm removal kit - handily it fits into a spare set of holes on my Harris rearsets, so I don't even have to undo a footrest bolt to fit. which is nice

I was planning to remove the swingarm to clean & regrease the linkage and bearings while I had the shock out, but I ran out of time. Hopefully I will have a go at that this weekend, along with balancing the carbs.

Just read that from start to finish. What a great read! Big respect to you for all the work you've done. :blush:

Two words.

Buggery bollocks :)

Was going to go out for an all day ride on Saturday as Mrs Monkey! was working and Sunday was reserved for rain and watching the rugby. Thought I'd put a few hundred miles on the motor and also scrub in a new set of tyres.

Open up the garage to find some coolant on the floor under the bike. Not much, just a little, but obviously not a good sign. So I whipped off the bellypan to find a little bit more lurking in there. Had a good look - nothing glaringly obvious, no loose hoses or anything, it seems like a few drips had come from the drain hole in the sump.

So I cleaned it all up and went out for a short ride, did about 50 miles in total but kept stopping to check it, everything was ok and at least the engine & gearbox are schweeeeeeet as a nut, no problems with the temperature or anything.

Got home and took the bellypan off to find more coolant in there and obvious signs that it is coming from the drain hole. Arse!

So it looks like there is a problem with the water pump, it's never leaked coolant out before. So out with the spanners again, I couldn't face dropping the engine out even though it would make life easier, so I drained the oil [no signs of coolant, phew] and dropped the sump off the bottom of the engine.

IMG00156-20110312-1600.jpg

Next out came the clutch and a little while later I had the oil/water pump out. Haven't had time to take it to bits yet to uncover the problem. I know there are two seals on the shaft to prevent the oil/coolant mixing but that's about it.

I wonder why it's only started leaking since the pump went back in? It doesn't leak at all when the engine is ticking over, it only seems to happen during a proper run. Anyone got any experience of this? :huh:

I'm toying with the idea of putting the pump from engine one back in, to see if that's ok, and then replace the seals on no.2 pump if required.

I've read before that they are designed to leak coolant from that hole when the water pump seals fail to stop the coolant mixing with the oil.

I've read before that they are designed to leak coolant from that hole when the water pump seals fail to stop the coolant mixing with the oil.

yep I think you're right. Apparently there's two seals within the pump, designed to stop the oil mixing with the coolant, and vice versa.

looks like one of mine has failed though I am a bit baffled, it was fine before, I'm not sure why it should just fail because the pump's been taken out and put back in again - I haven't disassembled it or anything [honest!]

doing a bit of online reading the same problem can apparently occur if the o-rings on the drain pipe aren't bang on. I renewed mine when I re-installed the pump, but maybe I've missed something or made a mistake.

I might be wrong, but I think seals don't like being left with nothing to do. I think when stood for a while stuff like that tends to shrink and fail whereas when used all the time they're more reliable. This may of course be absolute bollocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally think I've got to the bottom of the problem - at last!

last weekend I replaced the oil/water pump with the one from my original engine. Took it for a 50 mile spin and got home to find more coolant in the bellypan.

But this time it did not appear to be coming from the sump. In fact I couldn't really see where it was coming from, and on tickover it didn't seem to be leaking at all

After much head scratching I had to resort to some anti-social tactics. Bike on stands, earplugs in, rev the bike to 8,000 rpm and wedge the throttle open ;) sorry neighbours

and discover the leak is coming from the metal coolant pipe from the front of the engine. Bizarre.

There's a metal pipe that exits the front of the engine block and runs coolant up to the cylinder head. Off this main pipe is a spur to the oil cooler. At the union of the pipes there must be a pinhole or a hairline fracture, as under load coolant is being forced out.

so over the weekend I dropped the sump again and replaced the pipe. Went out for another 50 mile spin and everything seems to be A-OK, no signs of any leaks.

Makes me wonder if maybe that was the cause of the leak all along, and that the water pump seal was fine - it was actually just coolant running under the sump from the leaking pipe. Oh well.

Also balanced the carbs while the tabk was off. Never done that before so that was quite pleasing. Though why the throttle linkage screws are so awkward to get to is a mystery...

Morgan Carbtune is highly recommended :dribble:

Finally think I've got to the bottom of the problem - at last!

last weekend I replaced the oil/water pump with the one from my original engine. Took it for a 50 mile spin and got home to find more coolant in the bellypan.

But this time it did not appear to be coming from the sump. In fact I couldn't really see where it was coming from, and on tickover it didn't seem to be leaking at all

After much head scratching I had to resort to some anti-social tactics. Bike on stands, earplugs in, rev the bike to 8,000 rpm and wedge the throttle open :D sorry neighbours

and discover the leak is coming from the metal coolant pipe from the front of the engine. Bizarre.

There's a metal pipe that exits the front of the engine block and runs coolant up to the cylinder head. Off this main pipe is a spur to the oil cooler. At the union of the pipes there must be a pinhole or a hairline fracture, as under load coolant is being forced out.

so over the weekend I dropped the sump again and replaced the pipe. Went out for another 50 mile spin and everything seems to be A-OK, no signs of any leaks.

Makes me wonder if maybe that was the cause of the leak all along, and that the water pump seal was fine - it was actually just coolant running under the sump from the leaking pipe. Oh well.

Also balanced the carbs while the tabk was off. Never done that before so that was quite pleasing. Though why the throttle linkage screws are so awkward to get to is a mystery...

Morgan Carbtune is highly recommended :icon_pale:

Good news that you got it sorted. I balanced the carbs on mine recently too with the Morgan Carbtune and thought it was a great piece of kit :eusa_dance: I thought it might of got rid of a very slight "buzz" sound and feeling through the bars at 4000rpm that I get in every gear if I accelerate hard but it didn't. Does yours do this? I'm wondering if it might just be something loose.

Good news that you got it sorted. I balanced the carbs on mine recently too with the Morgan Carbtune and thought it was a great piece of kit :tacheemoticonwh7: I thought it might of got rid of a very slight "buzz" sound and feeling through the bars at 4000rpm that I get in every gear if I accelerate hard but it didn't. Does yours do this? I'm wondering if it might just be something loose.

cheers.

No, I can't say I've noticed anything similar.

Have you checked the exup valve / cable tension? that seems to be a common source of problems

Well done that man, great write up, I had been following it but started again. It's surprising what you can do if you set your mind to it, although I don't think I would attempt it.

Cheers. it's been emotional.

No really, it has. Hit a couple of problems along the way which did test my resolve. But overall I've enjoyed it, and learnt a huge amount - about the bike and how it works, and myself.

I've removed and installed an engine [several times], split the crankcases, rebuilt a gearbox, done the valve clearances and balanced the carbs - all of which i've never done before. I think I could now strip and rebuild an R1 clutch with my eyes closed.

I'd be quite happy to tackle anything now... but for the moment I'm just going to enjoy riding the bike with a full complement of gears. I still want to whip the swingarm out for a clean and re-grease of the bearings and linkage, but that will have to wait a bit.

I'm going away on the bike this weekend to the Peaks... to face my nemesis.... where it all began

Well done! That's been quite an epic, glad you've got it sorted and kudos on the new found spanner twirling skillz.

Just to add my 2 penny worth if the problem leak, rears it's head again. Sorry I've not been concentatting, but work have been fuckin me up.

The oil cooler pipe that goes to the engine/pump out can fracture at it's brazed joint, usually associated with the pipe coming under load as the lump is moved about. Always drop the cooler off an R1 lump before you drop the engine out of the frame. Ask me how I know :eusa_whistle: oh and just about enery Yamaha team in the last 10 years.

Well done by the way, job jobbed :eusa_think:

Well done there mate. It's been one hell of a story.

Now get out there and enjoy all your hard work.

The oil cooler pipe that goes to the engine/pump out can fracture at it's brazed joint, usually associated with the pipe coming under load as the lump is moved about. Always drop the cooler off an R1 lump before you drop the engine out of the frame. Ask me how I know :thumbsup: oh and just about enery Yamaha team in the last 10 years.

Well done by the way, job jobbed :thumbsup:

Thanks. That certainly seems to have been the case with mine. Wish I had known that before - I could have just changed the pipe instead of swapping the oil/water pump - but it's good to know it now.

Though I'm hoping it will be a [long] while before I drop the engine out again. Like another 25k miles when the valve clearances need doing again.

hope you enjoy your trip bro, it should be extra special with all the work you have done. skills! :rock:

Well done there mate. It's been one hell of a story.

Now get out there and enjoy all your hard work.

cheers guys, well in case you were wondering it was a cracking weekend, helped by the most fantastic weather. And the R1 didn't miss a beat all weekend, despite a proper and thorough thrashing.

and fuck me sideways it's great to have 2nd and 3rd gears back. I'd especially missed 3rd, which is probably my favourite. And a Brucey Bonus is the replacement engine seems to use a lot less oil than the original one. which is nice.

Here is the R1 relaxing in the sunshine, taking in the view

IMG00184-20110410-1141.jpg

*the run home I got through a full tank of petrol in just under 100 miles - I think I've had more miles from a tank on a trackday. Oops

Archived