Stuck swingarm pivot bolt!

DocJohn

.....other wise known as *STRENGTH OF A BEAR*.

And when strength of a bear occurs no inanimate object, no matter how recalcitrant, stands a chance!

And, of course...

....if you're gonna be a bear......

.....BE A GRIZZLY!!!

RAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!111!!!1

photo-29.jpg

A win for the Milhinch system!

-John

And, of course...

....if you're gonna be a bear......

.....BE A GRIZZLY!!!

-John

Extra points awarded for immense film quotation.

:eusa_wall:

I was kinda hoping this thread would run a bit longer TBH, can you put it back in Doc? :eusa_wall:

What kind of shonky 3rd world medical school did you go to?

Anyone with a smattering of the basest medical knowledge understands that highly concentrated irrational anger foccused on an inanimate object hyper-stimulates the ursine gland.....

....and, as we all know, hyper-stimulation of the ursine gland results in a short burst of muscular-skeletal enhancement....

.....other wise known as *STRENGTH OF A BEAR*.

And when strength of a bear occurs no inanimate object, no matter how recalcitrant, stands a chance!

This is true. I once picked up and fitted the wheel of a 4 ton bedford out of sheer rage.

This is true. I once picked up and fitted the wheel of a 4 ton bedford out of sheer rage.

I once picked up a 4 ton bedford out of sheer hardness.

I once picked up a 4 ton bedford out of sheer hardness.

I once picked my nose in a 4 ton bedford to get at an itchy bogey.

I once picked my nose in a 4 ton bedford to get at an itchy bogey.

Corr.... what about them ones that are as sharp as flint, and when you touch the outside of your nose it makes you squint...They`re bastards they are..

I was kinda hoping this thread would run a bit longer TBH, can you put it back in Doc? :icon_blackeye:

It's not over just yet...

It seems that -regardless of what the lying fucker of a manual would suggest - it's impossible to get the motor out of the frame intact.

I can't find any angle that's going to work to get it out without taking the top end off first.

*sigh*

This fucking thing is really, really trying my (limited) patience

:angry:

-John

Of course you can!

From what I remember when I got mine out of the frame you now have, you lift it upwards and backwards and then twist it sideways and feed it forwards.

There is a more detailed description of this on the KTM forum somewhere.

This is what i remember also. I remember more of a lift, tilt forwards then turn and back end out first.

Cheers chaps, i'll try again in the light of day and see how I get on - it was like something out of the Krypton Factor last night

-John

I thought you were taking it to bits anyway, or am i wide of the mark?

It's not over just yet...

I can't find any angle that's going to work to get it out without taking the top end off first.

-John

Grinder :ph34r:

I thought you were taking it to bits anyway, or am i wide of the mark?

Not me - I can't be arsed and would make a mess of it anyway no doubt - I'm having someone who knows what they're at rebuild it for me

I don't really want to take the top-end off as you have to split the cam chain do do it

-John

I don't really want to take the top-end off as you have to split the cam chain do do it

-John

Well you'll have the angle grinder out to split the frame so two birds an' all that :eusa_whistle::icon_blackeye:

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is now out - there is definitely a bit of a knack to getting the bugger out of the frame!

Shock has been dropped off for what I'm sure is a much needed service too..

-John

Engine is now out - there is definitely a bit of a knack to getting the bugger out of the frame!

-John

Have you been in the shed for a week and a half trying to get it out, fuckin' hell you spend your working life removing objects from the rear ends of human beans yet chuck a motorbike into the occasion and it becomes "tricky"

Is the ink dry on your med school certificates yet :(

• 1 month later...
I'm having someone who knows what they're at rebuild it for me

Zombie thread update

Motor is now on it's way back together - crank done, piston ready to go in; gaskets, valves and bearings arriving tuesday.

The shock is back and fresh from Holeshot Motocross.

Poor old 'Moto has had a hard life at the hands of many an 'eejit, she'll appreciate the refresh I'm sure

SM21228.jpg

ISB racer Shaun, out in the winter series on the trusty 520 while I was laid up with some broken limbs. He's now building the motor, but I still have to clean the rest of the clag off the chassis.... :pokeit:

-John

photo-5-1.jpg

Furious degreasing and deep cleaning of swingarm and exhaust system today - years of clag and neglect to deal with. Horrible.

photo-7-1.jpg

-John

What you cleaned them with looks like they've come up as new.

A lot of elbow grease primarily!

Product-wise I started with a neat mixture of Proclean Motox spray (bit like MucOff but cheaper) and a good wash, then a degrease with 3-in-1 Heavy duty foaming degreaser; then repeat with the Motox spray and another good going with the degreaser and a toothbrush.

Finally another wash with diluted spray.

Pain in the arse and time consuming, but it comes up lovely.

Todays chore was attending to the rest of the disgusting chassis...

photo-8-1.jpg

photo-9-1.jpg

photo-10-1.jpg

photo-11-1.jpg

-John

About a fiver from Halfords

3inpro4s.jpg

-John

Or three binbags of them is free if you have a mate who works in the distribution place and they have a pallet "fall over"... Also good for packs of wd-40, wd-40 pens, and 5 litre containers of wd-40, few cans of white grease, gunk degreaser....etc..etc..

:)

Todays jobs:

New swingarm bearings are now in, with minimum drama, having spent the night in the freezer

photo-14-1.jpg

Some replacement, captive axle adjusters to replace the standard ones - the right sided one rather worryingly disintegrated when I took the wheel out...

:thumbsup:

photo-13-1.jpg

photo-12-1.jpg

They're quite tidy looking at the minute, but I suspect the anodising isn't going to last long once the wheel is in-and-out a few times...

-John

• 4 weeks later...

Curiouser and curiouser.... motor going together; and it turns out this thing has had double valve springs, a stroked crank and a big 96mm piston in it.

What sort of a sketchy past has this thing had...?

No wonder it went well for what I though was a "Standard 520" - bloody thing was even more of a time bomb than I thought!

:thumbsup:

-John

Please please please keep this thread going Doc!

They say laughter is good for the soul (and the body!)

I have been pissing myself laughing at your (mis)fortune for the last 10 minutes!

Can you not throw in some more mechanical numpty mayhem please?

Anyone care to add their own?.......

editted for mong shmellig!

Archived