Unofficial P3 Project.

morepower

carbon tank shield looks good rich,i got one from japan for the nsr

Thanks Si... Well if you want me to copy it and do you some in Pre-Preg let me know.. You can have a couple of freebies..

I have been learning from a mate of mine who does structural carbon parts. So now I am just trying to do almost anything I can to learn to do more.. Part if it is because Wavy's bike needs a lot of glass fibre work and making parts or moulds to just make up inserts or bubbles to give room was something I had never done before. So learning to do that has made me want to be able to do more. If I can learn to mock up a complete bike and make bespoke bodywork then I would be happy.

Here is my first on bike mould. I had to mould round the swing arm with it all on the bike and hopefully tomorrow I will have a swing arm cover to test.

img0285nl.jpg

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice one rich,you may be getting a phone call :D

Cool... will do them quickly and you will have a couple so you have some spare ones...

Nice looking RS, i too have the tyga gp style exhausts on my RS250 and they'll never hold without brackets at the rear. Something you may need to address.

Ran them like it on my mc28 for years, and my mc18 and the other mc28 and my mc21.

nice one mate i will get the tank shield sent to you next week :D youve also got me thinking of a carbon bb fairing you swine :eusa_dance:

Will have mine done in carbon soon... Not been changed too much if you want to fit it.. But it has had some changes....

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a bit more work on the 'Prilia...

img0288j.jpg

img0317bm.jpg

img0319e.jpg

img0282q.jpg

img0321xp.jpg

img0322qa.jpg

Been doing a bit more work on the 'Prilia...

img0288j.jpg

img0317bm.jpg

img0319e.jpg

img0282q.jpg

img0321xp.jpg

img0322qa.jpg

What is the brown wax your using to make the moulds for your carbon fibre parts? as iv been using dental moulding wax which is ok!!

Ps love the project looks really trick...

its looking good. so you just put the carbon fibre over the top of the wax?

No... You have to make the mould over the wax first then make the part in the mould. The wax allows me to make a part up to 1mm thick to fit into the frame perfectly.. I am NOT using carbon for the parts now... I have found a material that is better for impact and abrasion resistance.. BUT it is the black material shown... LOL....

img0309qc.jpg

Great stuff.

So Rich how long till we see you working on a P3 Moto2 bike then? :icon_blackeye:

Theres likely to be a national series next year the way its taking off, the motor's a given (lightly tuned cbr600 with a supplied ecu isnt going to be taxing) but the rest of the requirements must be right up you alley of expertise... a super tricked and componented and mega light 600, that rings a bell :thumbsup:

Great stuff.

So Rich how long till we see you working on a P3 Moto2 bike then? :eusa_whistle:

Theres likely to be a national series next year the way its taking off, the motor's a given (lightly tuned cbr600 with a supplied ecu isnt going to be taxing) but the rest of the requirements must be right up you alley of expertise... a super tricked and componented and mega light 600, that rings a bell :eusa_think:

Have another project lined up first... Will know more about that one next week.. NOT a Moto 2 bike but could be handy as part of a learning curve for a future Moto 2 bike IF I will the lottery or have some Russian backers..

Theres likely to be a national (Moto2) series next year the way its taking off

You think so?

How many (non factory/dealer) backed teams do you think could afford a prototype bike? Bear in mind before you answer many of these teams aren't paying their riders much (if anything), some are running 2nd hand bikes and plenty of team "staff" are working for nothing.

To further illustrate the lack of £££ in UK racing; over 1/3rd of the BSB Superbike grid is Evo class and BSB 600cc Supersport is banning lauch control, traction control and anti wheelie control this year (be interesting to see how that hits laptimes, 600cc Supersport is currently faster than 1000cc Superstock)

No... You have to make the mould over the wax first then make the part in the mould. The wax allows me to make a part up to 1mm thick to fit into the frame perfectly.. I am NOT using carbon for the parts now... I have found a material that is better for impact and abrasion resistance.. BUT it is the black material shown... LOL....

img0309qc.jpg

ahh i get what you mean now, your using it as a packing material then. makes sense, thanks for the explanation

rich i will be in touch this week,ive been having another nightmare week again buts its settled down now,good work by the way :thumbsup:

rich i will be in touch this week,ive been having another nightmare week again buts its settled down now,good work by the way :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: OK.... Speak to you soon......

Thanks... Been a steep learning curve but it is worth it.... Will tell you why when you call...

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have not been on again.... Busy time here at the moment.. But I have done more on the Aprilia project and have just about finished all the moulds for the frame and swing arm protectors.. Bodywork will be here later this week to I hope... So will be a mad rush to finish off the bike soon.

Anyway.. here are some pics for those who have not been following this on Farcebook....

Test parts in glass to check the fit and scribe up the moulds for a cutting line to get the finished part trimmed correctly from the mould.

img0475zu.jpg

img0477yq.jpg

Here is a carbon test part too just to check the finish of the part...

If you look you can see from the bagged part, I have now invested in a composites vacuum pump and have all the vacuum bagging kit. Looking to have a 6" x 4" x 4" oven and a nice huge freezer to keep pre-preg in.. I hope to be doing full pre-preg parts including my own bodywork soon....

img0449ub.jpg

img0453za.jpg

img0455sq.jpg

img0461kb.jpg

These are just my first attempts at making carbon parts so I hope they look OK. They are straight out of the mould and have not been polished or cut with polishing compound yet either...

Looking at using this master cylinder too...

dsc05957i.jpg

Yer carbon stuff is looking good :icon_salut:

Looking at using this master cylinder too...

dsc05957i.jpg

Erm, what make is this, how much is it, and how does it compare to a Brembo equivalent (as I'm considering an 18/20 for the 6RR)?

Oh, I need to get some ISR spares off you at some point as well, few washers, nuts and stuff. I'll PM in a bit when I've worked out what I need.

Yer carbon stuff is looking good :)

Erm, what make is this, how much is it, and how does it compare to a Brembo equivalent (as I'm considering an 18/20 for the 6RR)?

Oh, I need to get some ISR spares off you at some point as well, few washers, nuts and stuff. I'll PM in a bit when I've worked out what I need.

They are made by IRC and are good compared to the Brembo. I like the build quality of them and they do take up less space compared to the ISR master cylinders. They do a 19X18 or 19X20 at £230.00 delivered or a kit with a 19X18 but supplied with a 20 ratio lever in the box for £260.00 delivered. That does give you an option to try different lever ratios and have a spare lever in the tool box if you do happen to fall over at some point.

What ISR bits?

May have some odd spares knocking about...

• 3 weeks later...

Done a bit more on the frame and swing arm protectors....

img0556zq.jpg

Had to do some carbon wrapping too... So if you want some parts carbon wrapping or want some parts making let me know.. I am getting into this composites thing.. LOL

I even had a play at making a carbon radiator bracket.!! The second one I made looks a lot nicer as I have figured out how to get the carbon to lay in the mould now... But at 35grams it is an easy 100gram weight saving..

img0550yt.jpg

Helicoil....................... :eusa_whistle:

Ordered........

:icon_salut:

If I gave you an RS125 swingarm would you be able to make up some swingarm protectors? Im very confident that I could get you a fair few buyers for them (I'm on a forum full of owners of rs's and carbon fibre lovers)

If I gave you an RS125 swingarm would you be able to make up some swingarm protectors? Im very confident that I could get you a fair few buyers for them (I'm on a forum full of owners of rs's and carbon fibre lovers)

Yes it can be done... it is easier if the swing arm is out.... I learned that the hard way... LOL.. Bloodymindedness made me keep going and had the bike laying on its side for weeks as I made all sorts of mistakes or fcuk ups.... haha... So now I know how to do it and can make the mould using vac bags... that helps loads....

I would of never thought of trying to do it with the swingarm in the bike, but then again I do have a large collection of spares to pick about at. If I ask a few guys if they are interested I really think it could be a winner for your bank balance and your experience with working with carbon fibre

I would of never thought of trying to do it with the swingarm in the bike, but then again I do have a large collection of spares to pick about at. If I ask a few guys if they are interested I really think it could be a winner for your bank balance and your experience with working with carbon fibre

If you have a few who want them as long as we can sell 4 sets I will do it for you.. The mould is what costs the most to make for a one or two off project. I just need to cover materials costs for the mould wax, glass and resin.

If you have a few who want them as long as we can sell 4 sets I will do it for you.. The mould is what costs the most to make for a one or two off project. I just need to cover materials costs for the mould wax, glass and resin.

There are certainly interested people, but they want to know the price, the rs125 swingarm is pretty much the same as the rs250,

There are certainly interested people, but they want to know the price, the rs125 swingarm is pretty much the same as the rs250,

Tell them £80 for the pair inc UK poatage... That would cover making the mould and making them in carbon with a special abrasion resistant material under the carbon.

Archived