Unofficial P3 Project.

morepower

<snip> I went to pull in and half way down the back straight at a slow speed the bike locked up! Seems the power valve in at least one cylinder has shit its self! So now going to get it sorted and go back again as soon as I can. But hopefully after Fahron has sorted out anything that needs doing...

<snip> Keep the motor stock and sort out the cycle parts and bodywork first... But like anything... fate deals a blow that slows down the project..... I will be opening up the motor today and see how much damage there is.

Thanks Mat... A few tips from someone who has built one of these motors would be good....

<censored>

'ickers it's a horrible feeling, but glad that you caught it. Fingers-crossed that any damage will be marginal.

Hopefully the barrels / pistons aren't damaged, but you'll be able to tell pretty easily what's up.

You'll have read /seen the issue with the power-valve centre pin breaking up?

I've got a 'cheap' modification from 'Vince' (RGV Forum) for solid centre pins (I'll post them down to you if the valves are salvagable). I've also got a spare set of valves in a drawer somewhere...

In all honesty though, I would encourage anyone to get a set of the billet power-valves (yes, they're not a cheap item).

Anyways, fingers-crossed that there's not too much damage and nothing's dropped down into the motor (I had a motor junked through that happening)

I might have a couple fo spare barrels left as well (can't say what condition they're in, if you need 'em).

G

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<censored>

'ickers it's a horrible feeling, but glad that you caught it. Fingers-crossed that any damage will be marginal.

Hopefully the barrels / pistons aren't damaged, but you'll be able to tell pretty easily what's up.

You'll have read /seen the issue with the power-valve centre pin breaking up?

I've got a 'cheap' modification from 'Vince' (RGV Forum) for solid centre pins (I'll post them down to you if the valves are salvagable). I've also got a spare set of valves in a drawer somewhere...

In all honesty though, I would encourage anyone to get a set of the billet power-valves (yes, they're not a cheap item).

Anyways, fingers-crossed that there's not too much damage and nothing's dropped down into the motor (I had a motor junked through that happening)

I might have a couple fo spare barrels left as well (can't say what condition they're in, if you need 'em).

G

Thanks so much.. Let me know what you have and I will see what I need to get. But spare barrels would be a good idea anyway. Just hope there is not too much damage and I can get this back running quickly and finish off the build fully soon.

Thanks so much.. Let me know what you have and I will see what I need to get. But spare barrels would be a good idea anyway. Just hope there is not too much damage and I can get this back running quickly and finish off the build fully soon.

No worries. Having been forced to rebuild a RS250 myself, I know how frustrating it can be... It'll also (maybe) motivate me to get the garage sorted out a bit more and dig out the last of the RGV/RS parts.

G

OK engine out..... Hmmm............... Lower barrel looks OK and no problems there. But the upper cylinder has shit a powervalve and took some plating off the rear cylinder wall.. But not sure what the hell the previous person who rebuilt the engine was doing. There were two lose springs, one screw, bush and a small plate floating about inside the powervalve cover! Once I got the shaft out of the powervalve I undid the two remaining screws to allow me to remove the valves. One of the thin blades had disintigrated almost totally, 5 bits were inside the exhaust but as I took out the valve the small pin was still in place so not sure what happened there! So now need a barrel, piston and powervalve with the 2 small springs!

So the next step is to look inside the other barrel which seems OK and check it out fully. Could have been worse.

Will post up some pictures tomorrow.....

<snip> There were two lose springs, one screw, bush and a small plate floating about inside the powervalve cover! Once I got the shaft out of the powervalve I undid the two remaining screws to allow me to remove the valves. One of the thin blades had disintigrated almost totally, 5 bits were inside the exhaust but as I took out the valve the small pin was still in place so not sure what happened there! So now need a barrel, piston and powervalve with the 2 small springs!

If you've got all the pieces of the valve(s), you might be able to check and compare the 'slot' the size of the that power-valve pin sits within.

There's a habit of the pin (if not failing) still opening up that 'slot', which means that you get too much movement in the sections of the valve. Too much movement, can mean (unfortunately) contact between the valve and the piston/piston rings. Once that happens, it doesn't take long for things to get worse... :thumbsup:

G

If you've got all the pieces of the valve(s), you might be able to check and compare the 'slot' the size of the that power-valve pin sits within.

There's a habit of the pin (if not failing) still opening up that 'slot', which means that you get too much movement in the sections of the valve. Too much movement, can mean (unfortunately) contact between the valve and the piston/piston rings. Once that happens, it doesn't take long for things to get worse... :eusa_think:

G

Only got the outer parts the centre blade has gone..... Not much of it left...just a few bits of shrapnel. The other parts look OK but will check and check the other barrel too. I have recipts for new valves and re-chromed barrels which were done about 600Km ago. I think is was mostly build errors that caused the problems not wear. But will check anyway with the bits I have left. So Gobe... If you have some barrels left and valves let me know... Spares would be good anyway. Will have this one re-chromed anyway and now it is apart I feel the urge to take it all to Fahron's to get sorted.......

I'll give you a shout over the weekend. I'm pretty sure there's a few, selected, spares still left tucked away.

I've got those Suz'i centre plug heads out already, but they're not on your essential list at this precise moment...

What a shitter, hope it's up and at 'em soon :eusa_think:

As for colours to go with your brief i'd make it a "pista" rep

apriliars250pista.jpg

What a shitter, hope it's up and at 'em soon :eusa_whistle:

As for colours to go with your brief i'd make it a "pista" rep

apriliars250pista.jpg

Not sure the paint would work with the new shape.... But a 2010 version may..lol.

Thanks Gobe.... The heads may come in handy when Fahron O ring the heads and cylinders.... lol...

Q. Did you get my Email, with the pictures of the parts I've taken from the garage?

I've since found another set of stock (Aprilia) heads as well, which would give you (another) spare set to send to Fahron.

I'm actually tempted to get that set done myself, just so that I can compare, first hand, with my billet CCR heads.

G

PS. I've found the set of billet 'pins' that I bought from Vince on the RGV Forum as well (these don't ever break!)

Q. Did you get my Email, with the pictures of the parts I've taken from the garage?

I've since found another set of stock (Aprilia) heads as well, which would give you (another) spare set to send to Fahron.

I'm actually tempted to get that set done myself, just so that I can compare, first hand, with my billet CCR heads.

G

PS. I've found the set of billet 'pins' that I bought from Vince on the RGV Forum as well (these don't ever break!)

Hi Gobe... Yes.. I got your email thanks.... Had some crap to deal with here over another project.... Let me know how much you want and I can ask Ron to just do the other heads as part of the work for me... Will not cost much that way.

Gray... You will be the first one I call!

I also have a little project here you know about. A certain RVF400 with some "furious" persons idea of fun by putting a 3 cylinder 500cc two stroke into it!!!

Back on topic, I am hoping to get back on with the project next week if my other problem is sorted out here.. I have a screen for the fairing now and hope to get the rear subframe looked at and finish the build quickly.

The heads didn't cost me anything (taken from the motor) and I've no idea what the barrels are worth.

The power-valves were bought as spares (since I chewed the original set) and cost me £115 (for the set).

Drop me a PM/offer. I'm trying to scrape together monies, but would also like to see you right :icon_salut:

Sorry to pollute this thread with diesels but that R1, it looks well fit! Any trick bits?

Not too many..

TiForce full titanium Exhaust

ISR mini rear caliper with the smallest rear disc I can get to fit.

ISR master cylinder and wire clutch lever

Yamaha R1 07 rear shock

Triumph 675 fork springs

SES rearsets

QB Carbon seat unit..

Double diaphragm spring in the clutch as it seems to suffer clutch slip even after changing the plates several times.. Was told 150BHP is about the limit for the stock clutch and the bike has about 150BHP!

Will be some more work over winter. Mostly to refresh the motor and get it all sorted and the body work is now looking a bit rough too..

Seen the original challenge but thought it had gone off on a tangent..... But have a fairly quick rider I can use..lol He is 4th in the BSB Superstock 1000 championship.... Will he do???

Power wise I know trying to get too much can mean you end up with less overall. I know Fahron's engines have very good power too as I had one of his 350LC yams that was clocked at 169mph at the TT and finished 3rd in the F2 class that year. His 250LC motors are close to 50bhp.

So what is the single lap time and the 8 lap time?? may have a go at this challenge.

(edit ) Doh....just saw the single laptime.

The single lap time is 1.39.05

The 8 lap time is 13:14.49

And yes you will need someone of Tristan's quality, the KR1S rider was Dan Hegarty, he's not slow either and he had Danny Frear on an 80 odd bhp RMDK ZXR400 (running 1.37's) to use as a marker.

The previous F250 (and at the time F400) lap record was a high 1.39.xx, that set on a fully kitted RGV250 vj23 by Alan Armour.

No other proddy 250 has dipped under 1.40 ever, Freddy Pett did a 1.40.xx on an Aprilia but as he's currently podiuming in the Triumph Triple Challenge so he ain't exactly rubbish.

Back in the world of normal lack of talent club racers 1.41's and 42's win the proddy 250 class and 1.39's are the realm of BDK FZR400's and RMDK ZXR400's only.

Nah, I'd prefer the P3 GSXR scheme to any of the race reps posted thus far.

Couldn't agree more, although can you think of a road or race livery in black, white and red that doesn't work ?

If anyone is looking for inpspiration for paint scheme's you could do a lot worse than looking towards the Le Mans 24h (car one!)

I'm brimming with ideas after this weekends coverage!

Not too many..

TiForce full titanium Exhaust

ISR mini rear caliper with the smallest rear disc I can get to fit.

ISR master cylinder and wire clutch lever

Yamaha R1 07 rear shock

Triumph 675 fork springs

SES rearsets

QB Carbon seat unit..

Double diaphragm spring in the clutch as it seems to suffer clutch slip even after changing the plates several times.. Was told 150BHP is about the limit for the stock clutch and the bike has about 150BHP!

Will be some more work over winter. Mostly to refresh the motor and get it all sorted and the body work is now looking a bit rough too..

Is it a straight fit for the damper assy on 98-02 bikes?

Is it a straight fit for the damper assy on 98-02 bikes?

Yes it fits perfectly....BUT!!!!!! The reservoir does hit the swing arm where it is braced. I have bodged a dent to clear it. Litterally only a couple of mm. But works so much better than stock and the bodge was worth it for me.

Sorry to contaminate this thread Morepower. I couldn't find your other thread.

I just a bumped into a mate who works for a company that makes race fairings, turns out the Icon bike is sat about 1/4 male from me under going a complete restyle of the bodywork!

Yes it fits perfectly....BUT!!!!!! The reservoir does hit the swing arm where it is braced. I have bodged a dent to clear it. Litterally only a couple of mm. But works so much better than stock and the bodge was worth it for me.

Thanks, if they are rebuildable that could be a good option(unless Bitubo do bargain bucket stuff!). How have you gone about the forks, I did see the gold spots on there, are they 03 forks as well?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Sorry to contaminate this thread Morepower. I couldn't find your other thread.

I just a bumped into a mate who works for a company that makes race fairings, turns out the Icon bike is sat about 1/4 male from me under going a complete restyle of the bodywork!

The bike is now back at another workshop a few miles from me now. I am not sure about the re-style and at the moment I cannot comment on the bike for legal reasons (also one reason you cannot find a thread) as I am still waiting to be paid for parts and work I have done.

Thanks, if they are rebuildable that could be a good option(unless Bitubo do bargain bucket stuff!). How have you gone about the forks, I did see the gold spots on there, are they 03 forks as well?

Sorry for the thread drift.

Gold spots were just a swap as I had someone who wanted my old calipers in a rush so I sold them and got gold spots to replace the blue spots. The fork springs were just some Triumph 675 ones I had sitting here (as you do) and as I was bored I stripped my forks to see if they were usable as I know they are stiffer than stock (cant remember the actual rating but got it written somewhere). I think the shock can be rebuilt but no Bitubo dont do any real bargain basement stuff.....

The bike is now back at another workshop a few miles from me now. I am not sure about the re-style and at the moment I cannot comment on the bike for legal reasons (also one reason you cannot find a thread) as I am still waiting to be paid for parts and work I have done.

Sorry it's still causing you grief, hope you get things sorted.

• 2 months later...

Archived