Unofficial P3 Project.

morepower

OK....If you think the forks are better than the ones you have....No problem.. they are yours.... with the yokes obviously.. Cost. A couple of laps on the bike when it finally runs..... lol...

Jesus you're cheap! Let me know what and when you want settling up for postage etc and we'll go from there. Thanks very much too.

<nips off to be now with a happy little smile on my face: all is right with the world>

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jesus you're cheap! Let me know what and when you want settling up for postage etc and we'll go from there. Thanks very much too.

<nips off to be now with a happy little smile on my face: all is right with the world>

No problem.... want to see the bike run and see if it is as much fun on track as it was in the paddock at Cadwell! Just hope I don't cook the brakes again.

60101233737028896896828.jpg

Beautiful! I hate the ones with the 'afterthought' pot, those look very well made.

Glad you approve......

Just ordered a rear shock too...... Butubo of course... High and low speed compression damping. This will be one of the quickest project builds ever I hope. Want to have it out in April and get it all set up.

bituboCLU11.jpg

I offer my services to test the fucking beauty.................... :eusa_whistle:

Need to sort out a weekend to sort out your FZR anyway..... So no problem.... As soon as I get the Icon bike out of the way......

good man ,i would think 70/75 is possable

steves NSR makes 74 ,and thats still a 250 :eusa_whistle:

TBF steves NSR is virtually a factory kitted racebike.

Rich this is an awsome project nice one.

But will you ride it on a diminutive ride out? Wouldn't mind popping over when levo comes over maybe you could five the NSRs suspension a tweak ;)

TBF steves NSR is virtually a factory kitted racebike.

Rich this is an awsome project nice one.

But will you ride it on a diminutive ride out? Wouldn't mind popping over when levo comes over maybe you could five the NSRs suspension a tweak ;)

I will try to yes..... Just got to figure out if I am going to daytime MOT the bike or fit lights.

Come over with Levo... you know what he is like....he would get lost going to the end of his road.

Will get the bodywork and chassis sorted first then sort out the motor. Lets face it 70+ BHP means new rings every 150 to 200 miles.... So get some miles under the wheels and get it working before adding more power.....

Need to sort out a weekend to sort out your FZR anyway..and look at the atc 'cause you carn't set the points... So no problem.... As soon as I get the Icon bike out of the way......

Yes I is a dumb ass...............................................................

Will get the bodywork and chassis sorted first then sort out the motor. Lets face it 70+ BHP means new rings every 150 to 200 miles.... So get some miles under the wheels and get it working before adding more power.....

You'll find (and hear...) plenty of advice on piston choices (OE, Pro-X, Wiseco, etc) it'll all just depend on what the ultimate 'aim' of the project is ^_^

My build was for a quick(er) road machine, but with all the 'normal' reliability issues addressed. That meant:

OE Suzuki pistons

Ported and re-plated barrels (remember to relieve the bridge port)

Suzuki 'kit' base gaskets (can't remember the exact size)

Billet heads (with a larger water jacket) and 'pump fuel' inserts for a sensible level of compression

Billet power-valves

Strengthend rods (can't remember the make, I'll need to look at the invoice)

Strengthend crank

Suzuki 'kit' reeds

When I look at what's been changed (and what's left) 2T projects always seem to run for pages and pages (and £'s!)

You'll find (and hear...) plenty of advice on piston choices (OE, Pro-X, Wiseco, etc) it'll all just depend on what the ultimate 'aim' of the project is :icon_salut:

My build was for a quick(er) road machine, but with all the 'normal' reliability issues addressed. That meant:

OE Suzuki pistons

Ported and re-plated barrels (remember to relieve the bridge port)

Suzuki 'kit' base gaskets (can't remember the exact size)

Billet heads (with a larger water jacket) and 'pump fuel' inserts for a sensible level of compression

Billet power-valves

Strengthend rods (can't remember the make, I'll need to look at the invoice)

Strengthend crank

Suzuki 'kit' reeds

When I look at what's been changed (and what's left) 2T projects always seem to run for pages and pages (and £'s!)

Will possiby be Vertex pistons unless Ron knows another option Rods may be some Arrow Precision ones as I know the owners of the company and they do some nice Titanium rods for F1 so some bike rods will be easy and may allow the use of some TZ pistons. The heads will be Ron's own profiles in stock heads. Used to weld up Yamaha 250LC ones and re-machine them for the 350's and he usually puts bronze inserts in them to help stop detonation too. The port bridges are a matter of course anyway. Base gaskets will depend on the porting and squish clearance as it will be on O rings. The reeds is a good one.. Not been thinking about the reeds. As said before the power valves have not been decided on but I can get the Tyga ones with trade discount so if they are good I can use them.

I will get the chassis sorted first and once it has been done will work on the motor. Been asked to try some cryogenic metal treatment and may try it with the cases and gearbox on this. Also the pistons will be coated with a special coating used on the Ducati Moto GP bikes to see if that can add a bit more power as it adds about 5bhp to the Ducati. Still a secret process and not for use by the public but I know the company who use it and they owe me a favour.

Seems quite exciting really..... From eBay purchase to a track ready bike in weeks rather than months will mean some long days too but want to get it done to show someone how it should be done without spending stupid amounts of cash!!

I will get the chassis sorted first and once it has been done will work on the motor. Been asked to try some cryogenic metal treatment and may try it with the cases and gearbox on this. Also the pistons will be coated with a special coating used on the Ducati Moto GP bikes to see if that can add a bit more power as it adds about 5bhp to the Ducati. Still a secret process and not for use by the public but I know the company who use it and they owe me a favour.

is the coating something like what's on the desmosedici? chromium nitride?

Will possiby be Vertex pistons unless Ron knows another option Rods may be some Arrow Precision ones as I know the owners of the company and they do some nice Titanium rods for F1 so some bike rods will be easy and may allow the use of some TZ pistons. The heads will be Ron's own profiles in stock heads. Used to weld up Yamaha 250LC ones and re-machine them for the 350's and he usually puts bronze inserts in them to help stop detonation too. The port bridges are a matter of course anyway. Base gaskets will depend on the porting and squish clearance as it will be on O rings. The reeds is a good one.. Not been thinking about the reeds. As said before the power valves have not been decided on but I can get the Tyga ones with trade discount so if they are good I can use them.

Your thoughts on rods are spot on, so you shoudl have no worries there...

TZ pistons are fine, if you're talking about a 'track toy' and are prepared to strip down and inspect regularly. That's one reason I went with OE Suzuki pistons (Suz'i 125 'Fun' pistons are better made - btw)

I've got a (small) selection of reeds that I've tinkered with... I've got an 'experiemental' set of V-Force reeds (and custom made reed blocks) if it's maximum power that you're searching for. No use on the road though, so I run with modified 'stock' cages and the Suzuki 'kit' reeds (yes, they're still better than the carbon fibre ones)

Keep me posted... Always like to hear/try new things :icon_salut:

Seems quite exciting really..... From eBay purchase to a track ready bike in weeks rather than months will mean some long days too but want to get it done to show someone how it should be done without spending stupid amounts of cash!!

It'll be a crackin' machine (and an impressive turnaround)!

G

As I posted before.... If I use it as a trackday only bike it would run single ring pistons and I know they have to be swapped after 150 miles, 200 miles maximum.. As setting up the chassis would take a few trackdays the motor will be stock for now. Getting the motor sorted is only worth it if the bike handles and getting through a few sets of rings and worrying about the motor would get in the way of setting up the chassis.

I want to make it handle as close to a pure race bike as possible. If I can run close the front of the inters with a stock motor then great I will be happy. I need to re-calibrate my head again and get used to a 2 smoke again. It was hard work riding the TZ and the 350LC as it took a lot of concentration to keep carrying as much corner speed as possible and keep the motor on the pipe. Later in the year the motor will be sorted and possibly a few race meetings just for fun.

Getting the motor sorted is only worth it if the bike handles and getting through a few sets of rings and worrying about the motor would get in the way of setting up the chassis.

I couldn't agree more... :icon_blackeye:

I oft' feel like an ol' man trying to explain to people that 'power' alone isn't going to make them any 'quicker' if the chassis is set-up like a 'garden gate' or a 'burst couch'.

I want to make it handle as close to a pure race bike as possible. If I can run close the front of the inters with a stock motor then great I will be happy. I need to re-calibrate my head again and get used to a 2 smoke again. It was hard work riding the TZ and the 350LC as it took a lot of concentration to keep carrying as much corner speed as possible and keep the motor on the pipe. Later in the year the motor will be sorted and possibly a few race meetings just for fun.

There's a few things that you might want to check over(?) once you're all sorted out...

1. 'Quick Action' throttle is a popular modification, as it's a good 'two good grabs' to get onto the gas properly with the standard throttle. Now, that's not a worry on the road for a lot of people, but a 'pest' when you're on track.

A Domino Q/A throttle is a popular swap, but it's not specifically designed for the RS250. What you'll find straight away if you do this is, is how heavy the throttle action becomes. This can be sorted, with a lil' bit more fiddling with springs and cable runs...

Drat... I'll be back... :eusa_whistle:

I don't think you need to buy "kit" base gaskets as your tuner will be machining the cylinders to achieve the desired squish. Standard Suzuki ones will do exactly the same job for less money. The RG FUN pistons and standard rods are good for 70ish bhp too I think. Plenty of people racing them.

Edit to add. I know you get a suzuki "kit" throttle tube that fits straight onto the RGV, perhaps it'll fit the RS too. It's loads cheaper than a q/a assy and you get to keep your kill switch.

Lee

Thanks guys.... The throttle thing has to be sorted anyway as the small lug to locate is damaged so was going to fit a GSXR one and alter a few things. tempted to re-wire the laptimer to work off the GSXR start button and remove all the left hand switch gear as I can use an ISR clutch lever and single button for the horn if I do daytime MOT the bike.

Handling is more important on a small bike with not much power... If the bike is not great and feels like a wheelbarrow full of bowling balls then it will get killed even mid corner and not make the most of the chassis advantages it should have. The GSXR600 actually had about 16 months of development in the chassis to get it right with Adam racing it for a season and fine tuning the handling with him to get it right. It sounded simple on the write up but there was no way of putting all of the work into the article. I am sure with work I can get the bike to handle as well as any current bike and if I can get the thing to match the P3 GSXR600 corner speeds through Gerrards on the GPS logs I have then I will be happy... If it can beat it I will be over the moon!! The GSXR can run round the outside of most bikes there and makes up most of its time mid corner so to match it will be an achievement....

Pistons and getting more power is the thing that will be take a while to get sorted. More involved with that and need to let Ron get all of his race stuff done first.... so would be a while before he can even look at it....

You see i've always thought your forum name to be a bit off Rich. Surely it should be "morehandling" though clearly it doesn't roll off the tongue so well.

I do look forward to seeing this project come to life!

I don't suppose you'll be about this weekend will you? I may be need to bug you for some ratchet straps if you have any spare (and of course to have a wee nosey at the RS!). :eusa_think:

You see i've always thought your forum name to be a bit off Rich. Surely it should be "morehandling" though clearly it doesn't roll off the tongue so well.

I do look forward to seeing this project come to life!

I don't suppose you'll be about this weekend will you? I may be need to bug you for some ratchet straps if you have any spare (and of course to have a wee nosey at the RS!). :eusa_think:

Yes will be here and you can borrow them no problem.. no life you see..... that is why I have the RS!! True Morehandling is not really good....Plus I used to work on race engines which had to make More power..... lol

I've only just spotted this and have come over all unneccessary, I've always had a soft spot for the RS250 and to build a true race rep just sounds great, err , wanna sell it Mista ? Though as I've been riding V-Twins for over 10 years I think going back to a stroker might be a bit frustrating, oh well I can but dream.

I've only just spotted this and have come over all unneccessary, I've always had a soft spot for the RS250 and to build a true race rep just sounds great, err , wanna sell it Mista ? Though as I've been riding V-Twins for over 10 years I think going back to a stroker might be a bit frustrating, oh well I can but dream.

If this works as well as the GSXR I may offer to build more to the same spec and not get a single customer LOL..... Just dont expect to see this one up for sale on eBay! lol.....

I couldn't agree more... :eusa_think:

I oft' feel like an ol' man trying to explain to people that 'power' alone isn't going to make them any 'quicker' if the chassis is set-up like a 'garden gate' or a 'burst couch'.

There's a few things that you might want to check over(?) once you're all sorted out...

1. 'Quick Action' throttle is a popular modification, as it's a good 'two good grabs' to get onto the gas properly with the standard throttle. Now, that's not a worry on the road for a lot of people, but a 'pest' when you're on track.

A Domino Q/A throttle is a popular swap, but it's not specifically designed for the RS250. What you'll find straight away if you do this is, is how heavy the throttle action becomes. This can be sorted, with a lil' bit more fiddling with springs and cable runs...

Drat... I'll be back... :eusa_wall:

have a read of the rgv hot up maneal,some good mods in there to hot spec,and as for the throtle heavey,the manuel,has you cut 4 rings off the slide return spring to easy this.

sold my kitted rgv two years ago,full hot up kit,was the vj21 modle,was a very nice bike,see if iv got eny paper work left,as iv got rid of most of my rgv stuff.

Thanks guys.... The throttle thing has to be sorted anyway as the small lug to locate is damaged so was going to fit a GSXR one and alter a few things. tempted to re-wire the laptimer to work off the GSXR start button and remove all the left hand switch gear as I can use an ISR clutch lever and single button for the horn if I do daytime MOT the bike.

i don't bother with the left hand switchgear, just temporarily fit a bicycle horn for the MOT.

it saves fitting a horn, switch and wiring, not to mention a few ounces.

103697.jpg

i don't bother with the left hand switchgear, just temporarily fit a bicycle horn for the MOT.

it saves fitting a horn, switch and wiring, not to mention a few ounces.

103697.jpg

yup thats the one i use ,but i only now put it on come MOT time ,as the 1st one i had broke within the 1st 10 miles

any updates?

OK.,... Not much to say.... The rear shock is on order... The front end has just been checked to see what I can do with the discs and calipers. My options are 280mm diameter Kawasaki discs and Tokico calipers or the small ISR 6 piston calipers and some 275mm diameter discs. Will post up some pics of the front end. I need to get a stem made but as I still have the Icon bike here and that is taking up my time I have to try and get it done when possible. The front end will hopefully look pure 250gp with the tiny discs. May have the fork tubes DLC coated too.

Just waiting for a few parts to arrive for a customer and he is having the pipes so as soon as he comes to collect and pay for them I will order the Tyga ones and fit them straight on. Hope to see Si and borrow his old RSW fairing to offer it up to see if it will fit as I want to get the bike looking as close to the last GP bikes as possible.

Sorting out a tiny rear caliper too.. but will wait until I know what I am doing with the wheels... I want light weight wheels but I am really going to try and do this on a budget and see how far I can get on a limited budget. So far including buying the bike I have spent £1700.00 That will include the full Kawasaki ZX6 front end and tyga pipes. If the guy has the bodywork for £300 then I will be down to £1400 and just need to sort out bodywork, stem for the triple clamps and clock mount. Hope I can keep under £2000 to build the bike and then just the cost of paint.

Sorting out a tiny rear caliper too..

I'd be interested in budget light rear calipers. I was planning on having a look in a push bike shop...

Surely 6 pot calipers are overkill and add more weight than the equivalent 4 pots :eusa_whistle:

Surely 6 pot calipers are overkill and add more weight than the equivalent 4 pots :eusa_whistle:

The small 6 piston calipers are 580grams with pads and the stock 4 piston calipers are 1140grams each with pads. So just from the calipers that would be 1120 grams weight saving. The narrow pad track discs would save about another Kilo or so.... which is about the same unsprung weight loss as mag wheels... IF I got wheels as well... the front end would possibly lose over 4kg alone. I know I can save over 1.5 kg with the rear caliper and disc.

As for over kill the small calipers were designed for 125cc and 250cc GP bikes and on the GSXR they are about at their limit when pushed hard. The rear caliper is purely about weight loss as it has only just enough power to get my R1 through an MOT!

Archived