Something *very* strange indeed...

Bernster

It'll bolt straight in, but I think that you will need the 06/07 ECU. The 06/97 model had a higher rev limiter (an extra 600 RPM). Changes made in 06/07 were:

• New intake and exhaust porting (higher flow, reduced chamber volume)
  • Higher compression ratio (from 11.9:1 to 12.2:1)
  • Revised cam timing
  • More intake valve lift (from 8.9mm to 9.1mm)
  • Double springs for the intake valves

So it won't go straight in without the ECU etc, or will but won't be used to it's full capability with the ECU I have?

So it won't go straight in without the ECU etc, or will but won't be used to it's full capability with the ECU I have?

Am I right in thinking you'll need the programmable HRC ECU if you've done this much work to the motor, for it to make the modifications worthwhile?

Am I right in thinking you'll need the programmable HRC ECU if you've done this much work to the motor, for it to make the modifications worthwhile?

It'll be a standard motor, just an RR6/RR7 model.

If it was a 'race' motor ideally I'd need the rad and ignition system to make full use of it.

There's loads of ex Shakey Byrnes CBR1000 race parts on eBay but without the rad, dash and exhaust the engine would be useless so pointless unless you got the entire lot.

>>>TASTY EXPENSIVE LINK HERE<<<

The one I'm chasing (if it will fit without 06/07 ECU etc) is this one >>>HERE<<<

It'll be a standard motor, just an RR6/RR7 model.

If it was a 'race' motor ideally I'd need the rad and ignition system to make full use of it.

There's loads of ex Shakey Byrnes CBR1000 race parts on eBay but without the rad, dash and exhaust the engine would be useless so pointless unless you got the entire lot.

>>>TASTY LINK HERE<<<

Oh yeh... sorry I didn't read properly, I was still thinking about that race engine posted earlier...

>>>TASTY LINK HERE<<<

Hey if you bought all of that, it'll be worth £60,000 in a few years... ;)

Hey if you bought all of that, it'll be worth £60,000 in a few years... ;)

Tempting, but I bet that ex BSB Stobbart engine is in worse condition than the one I've got fitted now :P

Feeling your pain, Bernster. What a shitter.

Sounds like a good plan is formulating regards swapping the engine. Others have suggested stripping the existing dodgy engine for parts. Could I suggest that you then saw up the block and we have a 'throwing gert big chunks of metal through low life's window' style myspace party? The bloke is a total cock. Let's see him call the cops to investigate the pieces of hooky engine in every room in his house!

Yep, I'm so annoyed I thought I should say that all twice

Sounds like a good plan is formulating regards swapping the engine. Others have suggested stripping the existing dodgy engine for parts. Could I suggest that you then saw up the block and we have a 'throwing gert big chunks of metal through low life's window' style myspace party? The bloke is a total cock. Let's see him call the cops to investigate the pieces of hooky engine in every room in his house!

Yep, I'm so annoyed I thought I should say that all twice

I just need to know if I put this RR7 engine in my RR4 Blade, if it will work without the RR7 ECU and loom.

Currently it's a question that nobody has a response for. ;)

Just a thought, could you get a parts fiche for each model and compare the numbers of the looms and ECUs? Or is there a friendly Honda dealer who could do that for you? I'd have thought a quick call to the service department should get you an answer.

Good call

*ahem*

and according to these they're different :)

What the hell is wrong with the bike industry, or is it the mental attitude of mankind in general, "I'm alright Jack".

The dealer has responded to my questions regarding the engine for sale. Despite it being from a complete bike he's stripping there will be no paperwork supplied with the engine and the mileage cannot be guaranteed or confirmed in any way.

So I won't be buying that one then.

I think I'll just burn it!

The 04 ECU will almost certainly work, but will just have a lower rev limit. I dunno if the injector timing was altered as well in the 06 motor? Also, I am pretty sure that the the 06/07 model had a lambda sensor in the exhaust, which the 04/05 model doesn't....fitting the 06/07 ECU into an 04/05 loom will cause it to trigger a FI warning as the ECU wont be able to find the lambda sensor.

Oh, and another thought.....aren't the keys/HISS immobiliser partnered to the ECU, so if you swap the ECU then you might also need the lockset??? :eusa_whistle:

The alternative would be a HRC ECU which has a programmable rev limit, and also doesn't have the HISS? Or an American ECU....again they do not have the HISS immobiliser.

Cant you have a butchers at it before he strips it? See the mileage on the clocks? Maybe even hear it running?

I like your style Zak.

You're like fucking hercule poy-rott sometimes.

Well the strange thing about this engine the guy has is that all the parts he has for sale are from one CBR1000RR, so technically he should at least be able to show me a V5 with the engine number / VIN number and clocks, (yup the clocks are for sale too) - to match the story of the mileage on the engine.

I understand the theory behind high mileage engines, but I was going to try and locate as low a number as possible mileage engine to put in to kind of attempt to match the mileage with the rest of the bike, so it would defeat the object in putting a high mileage engine in.

I think I might break it on eBay.

I think I might break it on eBay.

Hmmm... You may end up with a lot of spurious 'Blade parts you can't get rid of then though... Or it may take a very long time to recoup your money, what with eBay & Paypal fees...

If I where you, I'd try and find the very best engine you can find and do exactly what Millemille says. Then strip the old 'scrap' engine down to the cases, and then try and flog all the internals to try and make back a bit of money. Obviously bunging the cases in the local canal after the strip...

You can then legally sort out the V5 to display the correct engine number, and you'll then have a perfectly legit bike to use.

It's just an absolute shitter that it's gone this way, and tainted the ownership of what should be a cracking bike.

If I where you as well, while all this is going on, I'd be thinking up a good plan of revenge against the spineless scrotum who sold you the bike.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Archived