Something *very* strange indeed...

Bernster

Unless you can catagorically say the engine currently in it is fucked, why replace it?

That's what originaly led me back on to this post.... to say....... "the weld's leaking too!" Fucked it haven't I? :huh:

Your beef is with the bloke you bought it off, not the bloke that he bought it off.

As him for your money back, as it was bought in good faith. If he refuses point blank, then I would be going via the courts. Though caveat emptor probably applies. Still, the threat of a court action might convince him to listen to you.

Fuck knows what's going on inside that engine. It might be fine for the next 40K miles. Then again it might lock up on the next bend. I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable with it at all.

I've added quite a few bit's 'n' bob's since I've bought it, (lesson learned there) - and don't have a lot of the original bit's the bike was bought with so I bet there's nothing I can legally do?

It's a little worrying, the engine might not have been put in properly, like you say it could drop out come the first fast bend.

I'll do a bit of reading tonight and see where I stand.

I would deffinatly be trailering it back the the previous owner asap, sounds well dodgy. if he refuses money back then small claims is the way to go, surely he must have known about this especially if the case is leaking.

I would deffinatly be trailering it back the the previous owner asap, sounds well dodgy. if he refuses money back then small claims is the way to go, surely he must have known about this especially if the case is leaking.

It looks like I'm entitled to ask for my money back, or compensation as a result of an accident caused by the motorcycle if any of the following apply:

•the vehicle doesn't match the description they gave you

•the seller broke a specific contract term

•the seller was actually a dealer posing as a private seller

•the seller did not have good title to the vehicle

•the vehicle is unroadworthy.

Not sure if the vehicle could be classified as 'unroadworthy'?

I paid cash and the advert was on Pistonheads so not sure if I can get them to locate a copy of the advert.

If the engine numbers have been ground off, there is something very fishy. The only reason to grind off engine numbers is to hide the identity of the engine. So it is hooky.

Tell the seller that you want your money back (or a substantial portion of it). If he refuses, then tell him that you are informing the Old Bill, as the engine is hooky. And that you are going through the courts to recover your money. Put the frightners on him.

If he still refuses, then report it to the Old Bill. They will do bugger all, but it will be on record.

From what I've read, it looks like the first thing that will happen if I inform the old bill is they'll take the vehicle off me and hand it to the original owner or isnurance company. However as the VIN is in my name then I suppose techincally it belongs to me.

However that's not the case for the engine, so not sure what to do in that respect. If I ring the Police I wonder if they'll actually do anything?

It's a ringer isn't it? Ask the bloke for your money back and threaten with contacting the police as already mentioned. I wouldn't want to be riding it. If he says he got it MOTd and sorted through a dealer get in touch with the dealer and ask how come they've MOTd a bike with the engine number ground off. You want shut of that bike if at all possible mate. It's dodgey and at least part of it has had a big off.

Mitch

It's a ringer isn't it? Ask the bloke for your money back and threaten with contacting the police as already mentioned. I wouldn't want to be riding it. If he says he got it MOTd and sorted through a dealer get in touch with the dealer and ask how come they've MOTd a bike with the engine number ground off. You want shut of that bike if at all possible mate. It's dodgey and at least part of it has had a big off.

Mitch

I'll ring him tomorrow and tell him that I want my money back, it's not been used since purchased. When I rang him earlier he sounded surprised but if he's used to this then he'll have his acting skills up to scratch.

I'm trying to locate some contact details for Pistonheads to see if I can get a hold of the original ad.

Best of luck Bernster :thumbsup:

Mitch

Cheers chap, I'll keep the post updatesd.

If anything this post will serve as a 'heads-up' to buying a secondhand bike.

He reckons he MOT'd it without a problem, but surely if the engine number on the V5 doesn't match the engine number on your engine, (or if it doesn't have one) - it can't have an MOT?

checking the engine number is not part of the MOT as for as im aware ,because the engine number is not a requiremant for the V5

good luck bernster

Oh f'fucks sake Bernster this is bollocks...

Refering back to my earlier post, an accident resulting in crankcase damage would 9 times out of 10 result in the vehicle being total loss. It seems as though this engine has been removed from a written off bike, and fitted into this bike. The question is... why? And what's happened to the other motor...?

I'm sorry I cant offer any advice really... maybe Pork will be along in a sec...

Tom

Refering back to my earlier post, an accident resulting in crankcase damage would 9 times out of 10 result in the vehicle being total loss. It seems as though this engine has been removed from a written off bike, and fitted into this bike. The question is... why? And what's happened to the other motor...?

I'm sorry I cant offer any advice really... maybe Pork will be along in a sec...

Tom

I've just spoken to the joker and in his best impression of a man with very little knowledge of anything really; "A ain't got moeny maeet, I used it to pay off looon lyke". I suggested I take a £650 hit and he gives me the majority back and he said he couldn't afford that either.

He suggested I sell it on to "someone else, let them take the hit".

If I took him to a small claims court they'll be fook all they'll do apart from an agreement for him to pay the amount off at £2 a week.

So I duknow what to do really, guess it's remove the road bodywork, sell it on WankBay, lob on some fibreglass bodywork and use it on the track.

You live and you learn. :wacko:

Tom

I've just spoken to the joker and in his best impression of a man with very little knowledge of anything really; "A ain't got moeny maeet, I used it to pay off looon lyke". I suggested I take a £650 hit and he gives me the majority back and he said he couldn't afford that either.

He suggested I sell it on to "someone else, let them take the hit".

If I took him to a small claims court they'll be fook all they'll do apart from an agreement for him to pay the amount off at £2 a week.

So I duknow what to do really, guess it's remove the road bodywork, sell it on WankBay, lob on some fibreglass bodywork and use it on the track.

You live and you learn. :wacko:

Slap him.

that is all.

Sorry to hear about this Bernster

The engine is defenitly moody because the numbers have been ground off.If it was a straight forward legal replacement the log book would have been changed.

My feeling is track bike which got lobbed and the guy had a 'mate' who had a 'mate' who could get a no questions asked engine for a couple of hundred quid.

If you tell the police they WILL take the bike until they can prove the identity then the nicked part(s) will go back to the insurance company(s).

The way I see it you can either:

use it as is and not worry about it,

sell the road gear and track it,or,

Break it and sell the bits(but not the crankcase,throw that in the nearest river)

Good luck either way

The way I see it you can either:

use it as is and not worry about it, until you come to sell it and the next owner comes to your door pointing at the lack of engine numbers and damage, muttering "What the fuck is this!!??"

sell the road gear and track it, though I've read recently (on here I think) that it'll get checked at the track or,

Break it and sell the bits(but not the crankcase,throw that in the nearest river) quite possibly the best suggestion, though IMHO whatever you do it's best that you sort it out in someway sooner than later, before it all goes horribly wrong at the most inappropriate and inconvenient moment (like stuff always does :lol: )

The annoying thing is that the bike (obviously apart form the engine) - appears to have only done the displayed 361 miles, so I'd rather use it.

If I can determine the mileage of the engine that's in it and confirm in some way that it's low then I'd happily keep it and ride it.

One option is to buy a second-hand, low mileage lump, (there are a few on The Bay) - and swap or try and find a second-hand bottom end with numbers still in place and drop the top of mine into the bottom of theirs.

Stripping and selling parts would take far too long, I'd end up with nothing to abuse this summer until the jar was full of coins from the sale, (and that's if they did sell - minus eBay / PayPal fees).

One suggestion is that the engine is an import, as someone has told me, (whether correctly or not) – that imports don’t have engine numbers? :lol:

Either way I'm buggered or buggered so I might as well have fun while I'm being buggered. :lol:

The annoying thing is that the bike (obviously apart form the engine) - appears to have only done the displayed 361 miles, so I'd rather use it.

My tuppence worth, thinking out loud.....

Race team buys a new bike from honda(think superstock) dealer gives to a mechanic for the weekend and told to put a few hundred miles on the motor, out he goes and puts 361 miles on it.

Monday its in the workshop competely stripped of all road gear,clocks,wheels etc raced for a couple of years.

Engine gets tired and lets go...

Back to the workshop engine rebuilt out of spares and some damaged casing road gear put on, clocks on sold onto who ever direct from a race team, no reason to check its identity.

Seems plausable

Cant DVLA or Honda trace who prvious ownwers were from new?

innocent call to honda with frame no asking whether its a import what colour should it be etc

as says just thinking out loud

good luck mate

My tuppence worth, thinking out loud.....

Race team buys a new bike from honda(think superstock) dealer gives to a mechanic for the weekend and told to put a few hundred miles on the motor, out he goes and puts 361 miles on it.

Monday its in the workshop competely stripped of all road gear,clocks,wheels etc raced for a couple of years.

Engine gets tired and lets go...

Back to the workshop engine rebuilt out of spares and some damaged casing road gear put on, clocks on sold onto who ever direct from a race team, no reason to check its identity.

Seems plausable

Cant DVLA or Honda trace who prvious ownwers were from new?

innocent call to honda with frame no asking whether its a import what colour should it be etc

as says just thinking out loud

good luck mate

Thanks for the info.

I spoke to Honda UK to verify the authenticity of the bike (minus engine number stupidly) - before purchasing and it matched up. I also contacted Wakefield Honda where the bike was supplied, who also verified it's sale to a private purchaser.

How much would the lower engine cases cost do you think? If it's not too bad then I'd consider doing that. If in the engine case you mean the entire block then that's plausible, however the damage is to the actual lower engine block, the cover looks like it's been replaced.

Edit performed to rectify poor spelling. <_<

If you went through the courts and won, I don't think you'd get your compensation at £2 per week. The culprit may be allowed to pay that way but I think your payment comes from a fund that is repayed by the bad guy. I may be wrong though. I'd try a solicitor as who knows how many good folk have been fleeced by this guy and many more like him? Sorry to here this though. Chin up.

Lee

Thanks for the info.

I spoke to Honda UK to verify the authenticity of the bike (minus engine number stupidly) - before purchasing and it matched up. I also contacted Wakefield Honda where the bike was supplied, who also verified it's sale to a private purchaser.

How much would the lower engine cases cost do you think? If it's not too bad then I'd consider doing that. If in the engine case you mean the entire block then that's plausible, however the damage is to the actual lower engine block, the cover looks like it's been replaced.

Edit performed to rectify poor spelling. :thumbsup:

I got a set for a cbr600 for £225, from David silver spares, but these were for a much older model. There's none on there for this model anyway.

I would, as Mille says, Buy a good engine or cases from the bay, and swap with yours. That way, you have a legit bike, wether you road or track it. Then, when you come to sell it, YOUR concience is clear. As long as you change the numbers on the V5, then it is legit.

If I had doubts about the motor, I'd be wanting to have a look inside anyway. It might well be fucked in other ways too.

It may well be a 361 mile bike, but it doesn't count if 360 of them are on it's side.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted. :eusa_whistle:

2101 of your finest English pounds :eusa_whistle::shock::shock::shock:

I did admit that I'd bought mine for an older model. :ph34r:

I think the easiest and least complicated way out of this is to source a legit 2nd hand engine with numbers (or a legit but knackered 2nd hand engine with good cases and with numbers and swap the parts from yours to make one legit engine) and fit it and then get the V5 updated with the new engine number.

A quick sqint on the 'bay reveals that there are several potentially good engines on there for around a grand with all anciliaries (which you can flog to recover some money).

The risk of using that engine is it getting checked by the police at some point and you losing the whole bike and having a load of explaining to do.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

As you made the enquiry to honda and checks out all legit.

Mike has the right idea buy a complete lump with paperwork and just ride the thing

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

As you made the enquiry to honda and checks out all legit.

Mike has the right idea buy a complete lump with paperwork and just ride the thing

Then after you've done a few miles on it to ensure all is ok break the old engine down and sell the bits to recoup some money

Sorry you've been stiched up mate, I guess we we can all learn from your misfortune :xmas:

A couple of points.

There has been alot of bollocks spoken about the lack of engine number.

1)The engine should have a number, no matter where it came from import or otherwise.

2) the police can only confiscate the engine if they can prove the engine is stolen i.e. they can recover the original number using various forensic techniques.

Professional scrotes will have drilled the numbers out of the block, chavs will just grind it off leaving traces of the numbers in the metal.

I would inform the police that you are concerned the engine is stolen. They will inspect the engine and probably pay the seller a visit and push him down the stairs.

The worst that could happen is that they recover some numbers and confiscate an engine that you don't trust anyway and you end up a grand out of pocket for a second hand motor, which your talking about doing anyway. If the police give it the all clear you can sell the motor with a clearish concience.

I believe you bought the bike afew monthe ago. If you try and take the seller to court, he wil just claim he sold a legit bike and that you've swaped the motor since. Sorry

Cheers guys, I'm trying to keep it as standard as possible to prevent any expensive future service bills, so I was wondering on this one: Only 1,900 miles.

It's from an RR6/RR7 but I don't see why it won't fit.

-->>Here<<--

Addition: It's only 60 miles away too.

I've emailed asking if the mileage can be authenticated and if any paperwork will be supplied with the engine.

Anyone got any other questions I should be asking?

-->>Here<<--

Addition: It's only 60 miles away too.

I've emailed asking if the mileage can be authenticated and if any paperwork will be supplied with the engine.

Anyone got any other questions I should be asking?

Has the engine number been tampered with? ;)

Sorry.

Archived