R1 micron serpent exhaust

peter30

lad at work has one to fit 98/99 R1, is it worth changing from standard for what is, essentially, a road bike? Anyone got info about power gains, jets and needles change etc. I take it the exup servo remains attached, via cable ties to the fairing...

lad at work has one to fit 98/99 R1, is it worth changing from standard for what is, essentially, a road bike? Anyone got info about power gains, jets and needles change etc. I take it the exup servo remains attached, via cable ties to the fairing...

It may make no gains whatsoever but by God it's a thing of beauty and you should do it whilst they're still available!

Mitch

don't know about the Micron system particularly, but I fitted an akrapovic full system to my 99 R1 earlier this year.

Picked it up off ebay for just a few hundred quid. Bloody marvellous I tell thee!

Picture002.jpg

I fitted it - piece of piss, though you do need to remove the rad - then took it to the excellent Chris at Road & Track dyno in Aylesbury. recommended, top bloke.

He re-jetted along with a K&N air filter: Peak power went up from about 135 to 141 bhp at the rear wheel, with an increase of about 15 hosses in the midrange. which was nice.

downside was it's now 'a bit fluffy' below 4k. Not really a problem, and the benefits far outweigh this. Oh, and I should add it sounds bloody amazing!

Couldn't tell you exactly what jets, needles etc he used. he gave me the option of close to or over 150 at the rear wheel but that would mean losing a chunk of midrange. As my riding is a mixture of road & track days, I didn't want it all to be at the top end.

Added benefits: the standard downpipes weigh a ton and there's a huge weight saving to be had. I removed the exup cables but left the exup servo-motor in place - you don't need to cable tie-it, it's on a little bracket already. if you remove the exup motor, the tacho will register a fault code every few seconds.

There are some 'servo replacements' available that fool the ignition system, if you really must remove the motor.

http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/inter-bikeshop...?categoryid=594

I got a road legal race can with removable baffle with mine, specifically for MOT-time and noise restricted trackdays.

Hope that helps!

Archived