520/525 sprockets?

The_Doctor

Hi guys, i have a pair of sprockets on egay at the moment, they were spares that came with my bike when i brought it and i had assumed that they were 525.

the way i understood it was that the difference between 525 and 520 was the width of the chain and sprocket, I have a 4 others like it, they are all 8mm wide, i have since brought a Renthal 520 chain and sprocket kit for the bike from B & C and the only difference i can see when they are laid on top of each other or next to each other is the width, the 520 is 5mm wide.

this is where my doubting myself is..... a buyer has asked me weather its 525 pitch? is he wrong or am i? is it to do with the pitch of the teeth?

is there anyway i can measure it in some way to tell?

520, 525, and 530 chains all have the same pitch. The first digit, the 5, is number of 1/8th of an inch, so they all have a pitch of 5/8". The 520 chain has inner roller width of 1/4", the 525 is 5/16". So, the 520 is simply slightly narrower than the 525 sprocket.

So I'm right then? Its just a thinner version, sweet, any ideas in mm how wide each sprocket is? Ie 520 I roughly measured as 5mm and the one which I assume is 525 is roughly 8mm.

Has any one got a 520, 525 or a 530 they can measure for me?

Much appreciated people!

520 measure around 5.8 mm thickness, 525 around 7.2 mm. HTH.

thanks 3up! thats good enough for me! I hate it when someone questions you and it makes you doubt yourself!

Archived