KTMito380

2T Institue

Just a little update:
its been a busy few weeks but I've had a little time to do some jobs on the bike.
I refurbished the rear subframe last week which including removing it from the bike, stripping the paint, removing rust, prepping the surface and painting it with a rubberized paint.
I then moved onto mounting the fairings which included ordering new fairing mount brackets, making a belly pan widener using sheet aluminium, and making a front subframe.
The front subfame was made from 10x1 aluminium tubing that I fabricated to fit.
Photos:
the bike looks phat without the seat unit on.
null_zps60256453.jpg
null_zps367ab8b2.jpg
starting to fabricate the front subframe
null_zps2b0bbe60.jpg
the subframe finished
null_zps8ed2dab1.jpg
null_zpsa79bd483.jpg
null_zps5c0d5fab.jpg
how she sits now
null_zps378c71f7.jpg
Im now just waiting for a local machinist to make me a few small components, then all the bike needs to be 100% ready to race is Paint, powervalve linkages and the rear caliper sorted.

I had forgot how good that tail looks making a mould off it might be worthwhile and a jig for the sub frame. Looks very agressive and light

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

epic thread sir... glad to see you are near the finish line...

A small update

I have now connected up the servo motor to the powervalve (The KTM uses a mechnical powervalve system using springs and linkages)

The process involve adapting at CR250 powervalve wheel to the KTMito powervalve shaft using spacers and adapters.

I then quickly fabirated a cable holder and mounted the servo motor to the frame rails.

I just have to find some time later this week to wire up the servo motor and program it.

null_zpsf8918b03.jpg

null_zps4e360b37.jpg

null_zpsff429949.jpg

On the bracket for the cables they are not positioned directly over the pulley, close the distance up a bit and weld the sub exhaust pv's open and your right to go.

On the bracket for the cables they are not positioned directly over the pulley, close the distance up a bit and weld the sub exhaust pv's open and your right to go.

Ill suss it out ;)

It is off to the side because I was more worried that I wouldnt have enough clearance between the pulley and the adjuster bolt, but I can always trim the adjuster bolt to fit.

• 5 weeks later...
Its been a busy couple of weeks.
-I've been doing the many remaining odd jobs to try and get the bike ready for the dyno on the 23rd of Jan.
-I've restored the jetting back to OEM which required a few needles and jets.
I think now she is running a 170 main, 48 pilot, NOZH needle 2nd clip and a #7 slide for sea level riding.
-I also spend some time building a little guage cluster this week which includes an EGT gauge, a coolant temp gauge and an LED bar tacho.
It all came together very cleanly.
The EGT probe is installed in the header, 100mm from the piston face.
-The front subframe was finished off, It is now very stable now and the faiing can be removed in 30 seconds with no tools which is great.
- The Servo motor system was installed and completed, the sub exh ports locked open and a new Z dimenson was found.
The servo motor controller was then programmed with maximum and minimum openings and a progressive curve.
This took a few hours as my servo motor was fried, luckily I had a suzuki gsxr750 exup servo to use a spare.
The only remaining jobs to get her on the dyno are:
-having a CNC radiator cap welded onto radiator as the system is currently sealed.
-adjust the chain
-copper sealant the exhaust header/manifold interface
-sort out why my CNC gas tank cap isnt venting
Hopefully all goes well in 2 weeks!

• 1 month later...

surely 50-55horse?

Depends on the dyno...

but somewhere north of 60 at the wheel would be nice, north of 65 would be fantastic but might take more than a few dyno runs to coax it out.

Waz jetted to rich got 45 at 6000 with 37ft/lbs, started to get the jetting dialed in and broke some reed petals. There endeth the fun. Only saw 700 deg on the EGT and 2000 rpm on to so we are on target for 65hp/45ft/lb torque.

• 2 weeks later...
Worked out this afternoon what killed the top end, the powervalve never opened past 85% which took the exhaust duration down into the 180's.
Its all been reprogrammed to correct this now.
Looking forward to making some monster hp next time at the dyno

I'd like to see some onboard footage of this thing. Do you think that's possible?

that'l definitely be happening once I get the reeds and rear brake sorted. Rear brake will likely be in July as I'm flat out saving for a holiday at the moment.

• 1 month later...

going away on holidays for the next month.

But while Im gone Ill be leaving the swingarm/wheel/rear brake set up with a local engineer to figure out how to make the rear brake setup work.

When I get back, ill be straight back on the dyno to get her set up nicely, and then to the dragstrip for some shakedown tests :)

• 3 weeks later...

rear end dropped off at the machinists for sorting out rear brake

Also getting another cylinder head made up too as the compression might be too high: the cause of the backfire and the lack of top end :)

EDIT: head is done! that was quick :)

• 7 months later...
Been quietly busy since my last post.
Made a crankshaft starting system so that the bike can be fired up using a handheld starter motor.
Got my forks straightened, re-valved, re-sprung and serviced. They feel great now.
Just need to spit these 3 parts out on a CNC machine after new years and then I'm ready to ride :)
2 are my new front caliper bracket designs which I put together 2 weeks back
The other is the long awaited rear caliper offset bracket which I did yesterday
rearcaliperbracket_zps21aa3d78.png
frontcaliperbrackets_zps6eea8666.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Last I heard he's let it languish while he fucks around on motards or something.

Seems to be a common issue with swapped Mitos - I've not touched mine in 3 or 4 months, and it was a year before that!

Archived