KTMito380

2T Institue

This week I've found myself a spare crank, an 8mm long rod (143mm), some high spec silver plated big end bearings and some tungsten.

So Im going to be getting the long rod installed into the spare crank and then balanced for 68-72% in the next couple of weeks once all of the parts turn up.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck with what your doing. bike looks the dogs nads. my brother raced a 380 in supermoto a few years ago and it was a weapon.

• 2 months later...

any more going on with the mito then?

should be good!

looking forward to getting that pipe finished!

Any news about getting me one of those big bore tyga pipes Lozza?

Is your mate open to the idea of me stealing his and then buying him a new one?

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go...

Update was a bit delayed because I forgot my log in name haha

Here we go guys, an update from the weekend...

As expected, we got painfully close to firing up the bike for the first time.

We were just short of a few engine mount bushes and perhaps a roller starter.

What we did achieve though was some bloody good progress over a solid 3 1/2 days in she workshop. The bulk of the time was spent finishing off this absolute beauty of an expansion chamber which took the two of us a solid few days to complete.

The rest of the time was spent doing the other odds and sods required to complete the bike including coolant/plumbing, installing and wiring up the ignition, fuel delivery/overflow/vents, carb jetting and generally checking over the entire bike to find any outstanding issues.

All in all we ended up with a 99% complete bike that just requires a head stay and PV system prior to being brought back to Melbourne where I will finish off the little details myself (paint, dyno tuning, CNC rear caliper bracket) over a few solid weekends.

Mocking up the last few pipe sections, which we definitely the most difficult as the had to fit between the swingarm, rearsets, rear tire and come out under the bike at the correct angle for aesthetics.

null_zps943c87dc.jpg

null_zps4bc6bff2.jpg

null_zpsd3367ced.jpg

null_zpsec8f279b.jpg

The new headstay and frame mounted bracket,

null_zpsf108ad57.jpg

The finished pipe

null_zps391b0214.jpg

null_zps7ae608ef.jpg

null_zps72abd4f5.jpg

null_zpsf787d3c8.jpg

null_zpsd5725950.jpg

null_zpsa950e288.jpg

null_zps0bb02c64.jpg

null_zps2a89def4.jpg

We've also organised for an A-grade rider to help us set up the bike and race it in a couple championship races to see what the bikes full potential is. I'll be riding it also in between.

Hopefully I'll have the bike freighted back to me in september where I can finish off the final details before entering in a few events.

that pipe is excellent. what power are you looking for ? peak rpm ?

Max power somewhere around 8500-8700, Peak RPMs probably no higher than 9000-9200 as that is the theoretical piston speed limit for this motor.

Power output, the simulations are predicting 65+hp at the rear wheel on an honest dyno... but we will have to wait to find out.

We also have a few more tweaks to coax more hp out of the motor (ie; compression is stock std and more can be done with exhaust ports, can run race fuel instead of pump gas etc)

But at this stage I think a torquey 65hp in a 105kg package will be more than enough.

I think chassis tweaks and mass reduction will yield better results than further motor modifications in the future tho.

looking well sir. keep it coming..

• 3 months later...

Next weekend: driving 1200kms to Finish off the ktmito so she can be fired up, then bringing her home with me so I can do the final cosmetics and fairings in melbourne in my shed.

A sticky clutch and everyone having their starting rollers on the way to Perth for the National historic titles cruel our plans for starting it. Tried pushing could almost get it to run ...................

Very happy to report that after 4 years of work I got the bike going tonight.

The bike starts, runs and rides nicely. The vibrations are managable and pulls cleanly from idle.

We hope to have her on the dyno shortly and be on the racetrack in the newyear.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Lozza from two stroke institute for his dedication in assisting me from start to finish with this bike. Im looking forward to seeing what he does now with all the free space in his shed and newly freed up weekends haha.

I hear that there is a very tasty TZR421 3MA project already underway with lashings of carbon and top spec bits.

Now, for the main event:

• 4 weeks later...
Just a little update:
its been a busy few weeks but I've had a little time to do some jobs on the bike.
I refurbished the rear subframe last week which including removing it from the bike, stripping the paint, removing rust, prepping the surface and painting it with a rubberized paint.
I then moved onto mounting the fairings which included ordering new fairing mount brackets, making a belly pan widener using sheet aluminium, and making a front subframe.
The front subfame was made from 10x1 aluminium tubing that I fabricated to fit.
Photos:
the bike looks phat without the seat unit on.
null_zps60256453.jpg
null_zps367ab8b2.jpg
starting to fabricate the front subframe
null_zps2b0bbe60.jpg
the subframe finished
null_zps8ed2dab1.jpg
null_zpsa79bd483.jpg
null_zps5c0d5fab.jpg
how she sits now
null_zps378c71f7.jpg
Im now just waiting for a local machinist to make me a few small components, then all the bike needs to be 100% ready to race is Paint, powervalve linkages and the rear caliper sorted.

Looking good mate, when's it on the dyno? Is it a hydraulic clutch?

dyno will be the last weekend of January, when Lozza comes down for a visit.

if I have time I might take it to the drag races before that for some fun.

yes, it has a Hydraulic clutch

Pretty cool.. my only thought cosmetically is that the seat is kinda big and angular compared to the smallness and curved nature of the tank and fairings.. it looks like its off an 03 r6. bet its fast tho

Pretty cool.. my only thought cosmetically is that the seat is kinda big and angular compared to the smallness and curved nature of the tank and fairings.. it looks like its off an 03 r6. bet its fast tho

Looks big in photos but looks ok in the flesh :)

being that its satin red at the momment, the curves, angles and detailed dont show up too well in the photos, it just looks like a big red slab

Archived