KTMito380

2T Institue

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

A little bird on KTMtalk told me the next big update will be mid August :D

Must have been a big twit? :eusa_think: News to me :o Anyways sure the all important front mounts will get done

• 1 month later...

I want to see bikes, not graphs!! :icon_puke_r:

here you go Mr Ballbag.

My Pat Pending 'Institute-o-lastic' mount to smooth out unwanted big bore vibes, Furusawa-san would give it his blessing.....maybe :D A combination of Hoggly bar mounts and skateboard truck 'springly nylony urethaney stuff'

P1010090.jpg

P1010137.jpg

P1010134.jpg

P1010130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

heres what we got up to this weekend

All in all it was a pretty productive weekend but a few setbacks stopped us from getting the bike fired up.

1. putting the 'bling' orange clutch master cap on removed the magura cap which warned not to use brake fluid.

brake fluid was accidentally placed in the MC which ruined the seals preventing any hope of starting the bike.

2.Dropped the cluch shaft double needle roller on the floor, losing several rollers.

couldnt find an exact match so had to machine a couple new rollers from similar rollers.

3. my ankle exploded on the 3rd day, swelled up like a balloon and I could barely walk for the remainder of the trip...

so yeah, considering the above I think we did pretty damn good :)

First off we finished the front brake system by installing the 19mm forged master cylinder, connecting the braided lines, and installing high tensile bolts/washers on the callipers

Most insanely powerful brakes Iv ever felt, true one finger racing braking

725d29b3.jpg

5fcd4800.jpg

engine cases were again split open to investigate a gearbox issue, turned out to be the shift forks/drum had derailed

Luckily an engine removal is quick and easy, four bolts to swing the engine down for quick/easy top end work and slide the swingarm pivot half way out to drop the whoe engine.

b08e2fcd.jpg

Im happy to report that my new engine mounts look like they will work amazingly.

They are super firm but have a surprising amount of dampening flex when required.

It consists of a bar which runs through the front mount of the engine cases, this bar connects to an aluminium mount on either side of the engine which then passes all forces and vibrations through half inch bolts and into the four independant dampeners before tranfering the loads to the frame rails.

here is a picture from earlier in the weekend before finished

5aea8487.jpg

chain installed and aligned with a laser... is absolutely spot on!

004ab81c.jpg

830d1959.jpg

engine back in the frame, and bodywork installed so that the expansion chamber could begin being fabricated.

ed5762f9.jpg

15275b05.jpg

Minimalist cockpit/dash area. just needs to have the micro LED tacho installed

3f4ba537.jpg

Nitron shock installed

a1ded7f5.jpg

split into 2 posts so we can see all the pics now :)

I really like the look of the slick, the race tail/tray and the nitron race shock...

gives me an ear to ear grin just looking at it

43b03686.jpg

just some more pictures

bb3acbe9.jpg

42b7257c.jpg

really reminds me of the Cgiva GP593/594 from this angle

8adac4ee.jpg

couldnt find the OEM intake boot so begun fabricating one from alluminium.

didnt quite get it finished but it is a short/straight intake boot with a tapering ID, from 41.5 round at the carb to almost 60mm rectangle at the mouth of the Vforce-2 reed block

020da0fe.jpg

And a quick walkaround video of the bike

th_b890d5ef.jpg

Major things to do now before bike can be taken for a ride:

-Finish the Exhaust

-Rear brake

Looking good mate. I look foward to a video of it running :icon_salut:

The lazer tool you used to align the chain, is it one of the ones that clip on to the chain? I've seen them on ebay & wondered how easy/accurate they are to use.

Wheels look familiar Lozza :) Pegaso Strada ?

........Security isle 4...............supposed to be a filter to keep Dutchmen out of here :lol:

Front is rear is stock RS 125 but will have nice stickers, probably follow your advice with the rear and go 5.5in ;)

• 2 months later...

finaly got a decent tank for the project

KGrHqZHJBoE9p6mL5yBPicEiDYvw60_12.jpg

picked it up for 30 pounds, and will be using it to make a mold for a carbon tank shell :D

should have the CRM motard sorted out soon then I can move my attention back to the mito380

• 3 months later...

Awesome, that's the later mito525 seat unit? Did you fabricate the rear subframe for it yourself or does the 525 one fit the 2000 series mito?

Hi,

Its a 525SP tail and subgrame (different to SP525 road bike). it fits earlier mitos :)

I was lucky enough to find one for sale.

SP525 road legal subframes and tails should fit the mito evo too

its looking very nice, the sprockets have you worked a ball park sizes, also the swingarm pivot point is a lot higher than the front sprocket, so it may squat more than expected (underpower) and stretch when rolling off throttle. im not trying to put your project down, as its a fantastic idea (when will someone put a 430 huski aircooled in a frame)

its looking very nice, the sprockets have you worked a ball park sizes, also the swingarm pivot point is a lot higher than the front sprocket, so it may squat more than expected (underpower) and stretch when rolling off throttle. im not trying to put your project down, as its a fantastic idea (when will someone put a 430 huski aircooled in a frame)

Had sprocket position checked by a chassis guru previously, the sprocket is in fact higher than the SA pivot.

It needs to be nice and high due to the small rear sprocket as there's a lot more to it than just being higher ;)

Edit: I beleive the small rear and large front reduce the effect of squating greatly as this moves the intersection point of the sprockets far forward (the angle produce by drawing line along top of sprockets and swingarm pivot/axle). You then draw a line from the rear tire contact patch which intersects this point.

If the line is above the CG x axis when it passes over the front axle then you have anti squat. Which is what we found :)

Cheers

Had sprocket position checked by a chassis guru previously, the sprocket is in fact higher than the SA pivot.

It needs to be nice and high due to the small rear sprocket as there's a lot more to it than just being higher ;)

Edit: I beleive the small rear and large front reduce the effect of squating greatly as this moves the intersection point of the sprockets far forward (the angle produce by drawing line along top of sprockets and swingarm pivot/axle). You then draw a line from the rear tire contact patch which intersects this point.

If the line is above the CG x axis when it passes over the front axle then you have anti squat. Which is what we found :)

Cheers

means we copied off MotoGP bikes ;)

Cheers

oh . . . ok . . . sound fair i suppose, i like a bit of squat/ weight transfer(i think ill recive a comment if Mr chicken 'guy' reads this), but sounds like youve got it sorted..............does anyone remember the anti squat frame from spondon (i think) the sprocket was directly behind the swingarm pivot point

oh . . . ok . . . sound fair i suppose, i like a bit of squat/ weight transfer(i think ill recive a comment if Mr chicken 'guy' reads this), but sounds like youve got it sorted..............does anyone remember the anti squat frame from spondon (i think) the sprocket was directly behind the swingarm pivot point

haha nah Im just talking out my arse a little haha

pretty much what we've done is place the counter shaft slightly above the pivot point as per the latest motoGP/125GP/250GP designs.

unfortunately the sprocket can go any lower or the chain will grind the swing arm due to the small rear sprocket not lifting the chain up out of the way.

an I was incorrect, small rear sprockets and big front sprockets are worse for squatting. the only cancellation is that the tall gearing may result in less torque being placed on the rear end, therefore less forces being applied. But with similar torque to a gsxr750 it will be hard.

I think what weve done is the optimal solution with the above constraints but hopefully racing spec nitron shock should hopefully have more than enough low speed compression dampening adjustment to help the issue :)

cheers.

Archived