5jj R1 Handling Problems......... Hayelp !!!!

paul8899

Hello,

finally got to try out my reduced offset yokes yesterday ( 5pw offset on a 5jj ) and it now handles like a barge .

It now takes a lot of pressure to get it to turn in and it wants to push wide once over , not nice . I can also now hold full throttle over bumps with the steering damper wound right off and it doesn't try and kill me.

Ive already dropped the forks through the yokes 3mm

My thinking is either my damper is shagged out, so im going to try it without it , drop the forks through a bit more or fit the 5pw rear link arm Ive got in the shed to jack the back up ( its abt 8mm shorter )

Any ideas as to how to cure this ?

Thanks

Without being funny have you ridden it long enough??

It took me a good 100 miles to get used to the T/Ace front end.

My thinking is either my damper is shagged out, so im going to try it without it , drop the forks through a bit more or fit the 5pw rear link arm Ive got in the shed to jack the back up ( its abt 8mm shorter )

Any ideas as to how to cure this ?

Thanks

I've done this mod on my 5jj and it doesn't handle the way you described -- perhaps it is your damper. I've got the yokes dropped more than 3mm -- it's probably more like 6mm, and jacking the back up helps too, although I still use the 5jj linkage. I've also put heaver WP linear springs in the forks, changed the oil weight to 7.5 up from 5, and altered the air gap -- I got the settings from DizzyR1 of this parish. There's a Technoflex rear shock in place of the stock item, and I think the result handles very well. I've also got a Sprint steering damper, but I've found you need hardly any damping, or it ruins the feel of the bike.

I hope this helps. :eusa_dance:

BTW, Bren on here (slidersguesthouse) has owned quite a few R1s of various years, and ran them very fast around the Nurburgring. He's a good bloke to talk to about R1 set-up, as he has masses of experience of it.

Just went out for a quick blast, found the problem , front tyre had 20 psi in :) handles a LOT better now !!

turned the damper right down as well, makes a big difference when its turned up to where I used to have it ( half way )

might try dropping the forks down a bit more as well to see if that makes it turn a bit quicker, oh and Ill check the pressures next time I go out on it as well :eusa_dance:

where did you get the WP springs from ?

Ah, the old flat tyre conundrum, I once did a track day and let the tyres down a few psi.

Being a nob I just let a squirt out of both tyres, didn't bother using a TPG little did I know they were already on about 30psi.

Had a crap day shite handling, and trashed a pair of pirelli diablo corsas.

Did the second day with new tyres and proper pressures and was flying.

Learned a lesson with that one...........Now own around 4 TPG's.

Just went out for a quick blast, found the problem , front tyre had 20 psi in :pokeit: handles a LOT better now !!

turned the damper right down as well, makes a big difference when its turned up to where I used to have it ( half way )

might try dropping the forks down a bit more as well to see if that makes it turn a bit quicker, oh and Ill check the pressures next time I go out on it as well :eusa_whistle:

Fair play for admitting it!

I did something very similar after fitting a new shock. I was about to phone the supplier and give them a gobfull about their crap shocks until I notice the rear rim was almost touching the floor. :shock:

where did you get the WP springs from ?

I thought I got them direct from WP, but I can't find the site now. MCT do WP stuff, so they may be able to help you.

If you can get away with it, try not to add too much rear ride height,, as it caases the rear to spin to much.. if you are not having ground clearance problems quicker the steering by dropping the forks, as 5jj forks are lot longer than 5pw ones.. .. also normally an after market shock is longer than the standard item so no need to change the dog bone as it makes it too viscious and hard to put power down..

thanks, I measured the distance Ive dropped the forks and its 6mm to the top of the fork. Ill wait till I can get a proper go at riding it around before I start messing about with it again, it felt ok today.

To be honest I was quite suprised how much difference the yokes made, I can pin it in 2nd and it doesn't go all wobbly now even with my damper on minimum, going to take a bit of getting used to

Oh and Ill check the pressures before I go out on it next time !!

Archived