Sticking seat foam to a race seat

guzzisti57

I'm not sure if it's the best thing to use, but you could do a lot worse than no more nails double sided tape. It's by a distance stronger than normal 'trim tape' you'd get from halfords etc.

I'm not sure if it's the best thing to use, but you could do a lot worse than no more nails double sided tape. It's by a distance stronger than normal 'trim tape' you'd get from halfords etc.

Bostik contact adhesive..... :)

Normal Bostik and the like have high solvent levels and can "eat" foam. We use a low solvent contact glue to stick foam to foam or foam to vinyl when making gym type mats.

Yep, use a solvent based glue and there's a chance you'll simply be able to pour your seat off the bodywork. Turns it into a right mess. Try it on an offcut before you use it on the proper seat.

Woah fellas, that's why you need to read the instructions,(what i'm saying is that you need to allow the solvent to disperse prior to contact of the adhesiveS).

Apply to mating surfaces (contact adhesive, have not encountered any deterioration in 14yrs) press together then seperate allow 3mins to dry off , assemble very carefully to match properly.

You can then use a sanding pad on a grinder to shape and Voila!!!

You can use a wire brush to get a factory finish (instead of smooth) if you like. Have had very pleasing results using this method.

To be honest i have been using the same foam during this period and the stuff that furniture is lined wth just don't cut it......

Woah fellas, that's why you need to read the instructions,(what i'm saying is that you need to allow the solvent to disperse prior to contact of the adhesiveS).

It does all depend on foam type and should be tested but you're ignoring the fact that the "raw"glue is put on the foam before the solvents start to disperse and depending on what type of foam can eat it.

Thanks dor the advice everybody, bought some Evostik contact spray and tested a scrap of foam, seems to stick firm and not melt it, should be good :eusa_whistle:

Thanks dor the advice everybody, bought some Evostik contact spray and tested a scrap of foam, seems to stick firm and not melt it, should be good :icon_puke_r:

I never use anything else myself. I tend to cut the profile that I want out of the sheet and use either an angle grinder fitted with a flapper/lanishing wheel or a belt sander to thin the foam down and feather to the edges. Final finish is with rough sandpaper wrapped around a length of broom handle. You should end up with a suede like finish all over.

Not that I've done a lot of these :icon_salut:

It does all depend on foam type and should be tested but you're ignoring the fact that the "raw"glue is put on the foam before the solvents start to disperse and depending on what type of foam can eat it.

Yeah your right wrote that at 1 o'clock Sat/Sun morning so i was full of guinness and red wine then. :icon_salut:

Archived