NSR250 Bike of race

2Smoke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Aaaaaaaaaaaand?????

Test day

Arrived in good time, weather was the usual anglesey, ie; rain, so I stuck the wets on and did some checks of the bike. Everything looking ok so I got her fuelled up and ready for the first session.

First session, still wet but dry in patches. Ideal for running the bike in really and to try out the new wets. Bike pulling good up to 8, handling ok but bars are a bit uncomfortable. Tyres really working well too, started enjoying it a lot until the flag came out. Track was pretty dry by then so the dry wheels went back on, and a bit of tweaking of the bars to raise them up half an inch.

Second session, started giving it some beans but the engine wouldn't rev out so I carried on at a comfortable pace getting to know the bike and the circuit. Fairly pleased with the handling but everything seemed a bit soft, and although this was good in the rain, it caused a bit too much mass-shifting when throttling mid corner. So in we came, back tyre showing that the shock was a little too soft so up 2 clicks on the preload, 3 clicks on compression damping and one on the rebound plus upped the front preload to about mid setting. Also re-adjusted the bars as they were tucked in a little too much.

Now for the running, I had problems with the pv servo in cadwell so I electrically disconnected it and wound it fully open. I also upped the mains to 190/192 as the plugs were looking a little on the light side.

Third session, was late going out (had a quick toilet break on route) so had to go out through the pits on the start finish straight (we had been using the old holding area/pits) so came out, into the banking and down the back straight where she was definitely pulling a lot better up top. Started catching my mate down the straight and up the hill into the left hander, then into the right and I just felt the front tuck but it was too late and down we went. I picked the bike up and rolled it to the marshall and sat that session out watching everyone having fun.

Back to the pits, straighten everything out and ready for the fourth session. Oh well at least it saved some fuel

Fourth session was good, had a niggle in my head as to what caused the spill so took it fairly easy until i was happy with the bike. Pulling better but still a bit flat up top. Oh well see how it performs tomorrow, I also planned on doing the wire splice to see if that improves anything. A plug chop showed that the jetting was pretty good, but still surprised that its using such large jets..

Got the bike and my gear all scrutineered up, he did moan about the holes in my shoulders but hey ho there was nothing I could do about it..

And on the piss we went for a few hours (after going home and welding a lads rs250 exhaust which had snapped).

Race day.. Woke up nice and late with a bit of a sore head. Aching a bit too, getting too old for crashing..

Lovely weather, so got fuelled up, numbered up and ready for first practise. Oh also did that wire splice thingy to see if it would make any difference.

Practise went ok, did a few laps chasing down a guy with an rgv250 who was parked across from us when the bike died completely. I pulled in a bit pissed off, but noticed a wire hanging off the ignition switch. Bollox. Remedied that and carried on with practise until it got red flagged due to a crash on the first left. Gave me a good opportunity to nip to the van and tighten up the clip on that had worked itself a bit loose!

Back out then for a few more laps, bike going well but struggling down the back straight. The 50mph wind probably wasnt helping either..

Watched a bit of racing, then after lunch the rain kicked in so we stuck the wets on and fitted the borrowed tyre warmers. Fuelled up also. Nerves starting to kick in! First race for 4 years and its pissing it down..

Race came around, so lined up and went for the warmup lap, then it really started raining and I was having trouble seeing where we were going. Oh well the bike felt good and the tyres were working well. Lined up for the start of the race (on 17th!!) got a shoddy start with a ghey wheelie and off we went, passed a few into the banking and set off along the straight and up the hill but by then I had my visor open! Passed a tz250 on the brakes and started hunting down matey on the rgv until the bike started getting louder and louder, bugger must be the exhaust working itself loose. Did another lap but the bike was running so poorly up top I pulled in rather than risk a blowup.

Came in and for sure the manifold bolts had gone walkies. Oh well lesson learnt.

First race DNF bum.

By this time the rain had gone from drizzle to torrential, and watching the gp250's Jamie O Brien Highsided coming onto the start finish while leading, with my mate Shaun behind doing exactly the same! Think Jamie broke his collarbone, Shaun was ok but he has had more crashes than Ive had curries!

There were a lot of crashes going on and I did wonder if they were going to bin the day but they carried on luckily..

Our race was the last of the day, it had slowed down raining but the track was still soaking.

Bad start as usual but passed a couple and set on chasing down matey on his rgv. Eventually caught him up round the top of the track and started reeling him in along with an nc30 that was dicing with him. Got a good launch down the hill into the corkscrew, passed the nc30 but couldnt get the rgv although mine was pulling a bit more speed than him but he was a bit braver than me on the brakes. Got up the top again on his arse, tried outbraking him into the left but I chickened a bit and stayed on him, lining him up for the right leading into the downhill, where I passed into the corkscrew in. Happy days, next on the list was a tz250. Bike was feeling very good, loads of confidence on the corners through the puddles. Was reeling the tz's in but by then the chequered flags came out and I had some happy supporters on the pit wall.

Happy days, the last race reminded me why I love doing this so much, and kept all my pit crew happy so i must have been going pretty well!

25118_1289842839724_1039809023_3070.jpg

Tycroesmarch.jpg

Is that a Sciroco Storm in the background of one of the last pics?

No just a very late model GTX. Going to flog it to buy some essential spares for the bike I think. Not used it since I bought the race van. Fancy it Barry?

As to whether or not the reg is unfortunate depends on your views I guess. I was going to sell it to Nick Griffin but not quite got round to it.

Tell me a bit about that chuck, never seen one like that before.Self centreing or independant jaws?

Self centering. Works ok but never seen another.

I raced at Tonfanau last weekend, was a better meeting as I had got the rc valves properly setup (never believe the marks on the pulleys, lesson learnt!) and it was fairly dry if a little muddy. My day was hampered by the bike running too hot (up to 100 degrees, optimum is 60!) due to too small a radiator. So I've ordered an mc21 item which is a lot bigger, from the states. Hopefully that will do the trick in time for the Llandow nsr forum meet at the end of the month.

Shame as the bike was proper flying for the first few laps until it started overheating!

Check out the mud on the tyres!

27183_10150152625885068_775600067_1.jpg

...So I've ordered an mc21 item which is a lot bigger, from the states. Hopefully that will do the trick in time for the Llandow nsr forum meet at the end of the month.

Good choice of rad, Paul. I use the MC21 rad on my race TDR and TZR.

Should be bringing both to Llandow...

• 4 weeks later...

Well thanks to some gsxr going pop infront of me last monday, the bike is now broken!

:eusa_think:

• 2 weeks later...

The rebuild began this week, got another meeting next weekend so thought I'd better pull my finger out. Only fairings I could find were off a later model rs but they will do for now..

TYE_33161.jpg

TYE_33181.jpg

I bought some neat Yoshimura rearsets for it too, it was surprising to see them for so cheap from thailand.. :icon_blackeye:

Only fairings I could find were off a later model rs but they will do for now..

TYE_33161.jpg

You sure ? Look more like Renault Clio to me.

Oh wait, I see what you've done.... :eusa_dance:

Painted them up.. certainly bright enough..

TYE_3325.jpg

TYE_3338.jpg

TYE_3332.jpg

Is that a Honda or a Caterpillar in that paint scheme?

Nice bike!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived