Seized brakes (zx10)

Guest bikertiger

Guest bikertiger

Went to start up my bike today. Two weeks without moving. Started first time :icon_salut:

Went to move the bike and it wouldn't.....at all. Wouldn't a move a budge

Thus give phone call to Lorenzo - Seized brakes

Now I'm aware they could probably do with a strip down and clean, but i'm planning on taking the bike back to the dealership where I bought it from to fit some new brake pads - Looks like it could do with some, though a second opinion on that maybe needed?

Alas - Lorenzo talked me through 'unseizing the brakes' but if anyone has a piece already typed that I could follow be cool

Of Note. I have no tools of note, and the last time I tried doing anything on brakes on my very old Kawasaki I ended up crashing as it turned out the brakes were still f$%ked!

All I want to do is maybe ride to work once this week and of course get to the dealership next weekend

Guest bikertiger
Take the calipers off. Wash the calipers and pistons in some warm water with some car/bike shampoo in it (dont use washing up liquid....it has loads of salt in it). The pistons might be stuck 'cos of the salt on the roads have crudded them up. It wont be a permanent solution as it sounds like they need a good strip down and clean, but it should get you moving again.

DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BRAKE LEVER with he calipers off (I don't know why, but when I have calipers off there is always a huge temptation to squeeze the lever)

Is it that simple? Just undo the calipers...?? I see two screws. Lorenzo mentioned when taking off the calipers to put a screw driver between the pads?

At what point do I do that? Clearly worrying about brakes. I'd prefer not to crash again! :icon_salut:

Is it that simple? Just undo the calipers...?? I see two screws. Lorenzo mentioned when taking off the calipers to put a screw driver between the pads?

At what point do I do that? Clearly worrying about brakes. I'd prefer not to crash again! :)

The screwdriver is to stop the pistons moving out of the calipers if you do squeeze the brake lever.

It really is a simple task if you're slow and careful. Undo the bolts, take out the pads, wash the calipers and pistons (a toothbrush is good for this bit), put the pads back in put the calipers back on and do the bolts up again.

Make notes/take photos of everything as you take it apart, pay attention to which bolt goes where, put them somewhere safe whilst you're working.

Mitch

It sounds more like the pads have rusted to the discs, stick it in gear and carefully let the clutchout, to free them. If the brakes are binding after a couple of of gentle stops, then you should strip them down for a clean.

Common thing with zx10's--usually its the pads get so gummed up on the outer edges--wirebrush them,sometimes carefully use a file to remove stubborn corrosion-taking care not to file off any of the pads backing plate-use coppaslip on the outer edges to try to prevent future corrosion.Also check on the inside edge of the caliper(front and trailing edge where the pads slip into).This is assuming the pistons aren't binding at all.

It sounds more like the pads have rusted to the discs, stick it in gear and carefully let the clutchout, to free them. If the brakes are binding after a couple of of gentle stops, then you should strip them down for a clean.

I thought this after the phone call. It's an easy thing to check, isn't it, so it's worth giving it a go. Literally, up and down your road should be far enough to clean the bit of rust off the pads/disc. Both the pads and the disc have an iron content, so they'll rust up fairly easily if they're left for a bit.

I mentioned the screwdriver as a bit of a way getting a bit more grot out then'd otherwise be accesible: Give the lever a little squeeze so the pistons come out about 1mm further each side, hence exposing the bit that'd be in the dust seal if you were to do them 'as is'. In my experience, this is where the crap'll build up and make them stick. Then, once you've cleaned it up a bit, get a fat screwdriver between the pads and gentley lever them back in a bit, just enough to get them back over the discs. Then, once they're refitted, give your lever a good squeeze to prevent those "shit I've not got any brakes" moments as you approach the first set of lights.

I once stood and watched a bloke in my old porsche drive it off a ramp and only stop about 6" short of a wall from forgetting to pump the brake pistons back out. He was white as a ghost when he got out, which was quite something for a ghanaian bloke.

Also, if the weather wasn't quite so shit, you could come round mine and I'd give you pointers while you gave them a thorough cleaning up and lubing, but it's not, it's freezing, so i won't. Sorry.

Guest bikertiger
Also, if the weather wasn't quite so shit, you could come round mine and I'd give you pointers while you gave them a thorough cleaning up and lubing, but it's not, it's freezing, so i won't. Sorry.

I can't come round. My bike won't move. Didn't you read my posts ;)

Though if you want to come round one evening / afternoon and fix any errors I'll maybe, then there's a brew ready (and I may even let you have a go!:eusa_whistle: ). - Assuming I've the tools to do it......which maybe unlikely!

Re-the clutch idea. I'd do this. But this what happened years ago. I got the brakes 'released' via engine power. But 2 miles down the road I went to brake and the brakes locked and off I went :( hundreds of pounds of damage

I'll see what tools i've got tomorrow and have a bash ....

You about tomorrow afternoon? I might see if I can nip by on the way home. No promises, not sure what time I'm finishing. Make sure that A: you've a clean toothbrush and B: chocolate biscuits. The biscuits are not going to be used on your brakes, don't worry.

Guest bikertiger
You about tomorrow afternoon? I might see if I can nip by on the way home. No promises, not sure what time I'm finishing. Make sure that A: you've a clean toothbrush and B: chocolate biscuits. The biscuits are not going to be used on your brakes, don't worry.

Yes, yes, biscuits. I'll see......I'll make sure i've some tools as well first, as I think it's all allen key jobs on the calipers?

No worries about tomorrow if your busy as I'll book my bike in at Sale Yam next sat, so just need it ready for then; so I can always take an afternoon off one day during the week etc

Yes, yes, biscuits. I'll see......I'll make sure i've some tools as well first, as I think it's all allen key jobs on the calipers?

No worries about tomorrow if your busy as I'll book my bike in at Sale Yam next sat, so just need it ready for then; so I can always take an afternoon off one day during the week etc

Caliper bolts are done up on the tight side, you might want to get some of those jobbies that fit into a socket so you can get a bit more leverage on them.

Mitch

I'll make sure i've some tools as well first, as I think it's all allen key jobs on the calipers?

I'll be coming back from work so I'll have allen keys, spanners and a selection of other pokedey things with me. Stuff to clean them and stuff to feed me, that's all that's needed.

Archived