Bike wont start

Speednumpty2

I have an old (1989) Kawasaki zx10 streetfighter and due to a bad back i have not been able to ride for 4 months. Left it plugged into an optimate while i was not using it along with my other bike.

Went to start them both up yesterday and the kawasaki wont start, initially it tried to but wouldnt catch (always like that as its heavily tuned and runs a bit rich until it warms up) but when i tried a second time it wouldnt turn?

Starter solenoid clicks fine and battery has charge according to the optimate but when you try starting it just clicks.

Any ideas people?

Kill switch is not on, bike is in neutral, fuel tap on etc. just wont spin the starter at all, is it worth trying to jump start off the car with jump leads or would that cause more problems?

I have an old (1989) Kawasaki zx10 streetfighter and due to a bad back i have not been able to ride for 4 months. Left it plugged into an optimate while i was not using it along with my other bike.

Went to start them both up yesterday and the kawasaki wont start, initially it tried to but wouldnt catch (always like that as its heavily tuned and runs a bit rich until it warms up) but when i tried a second time it wouldnt turn?

Starter solenoid clicks fine and battery has charge according to the optimate but when you try starting it just clicks.

Any ideas people?

Kill switch is not on, bike is in neutral, fuel tap on etc. just wont spin the starter at all, is it worth trying to jump start off the car with jump leads or would that cause more problems?

Is the solenoid sticking?

I think it's a bad idea to jump bikes from a car; I've done it before but I'm sure I've read since that it's not goo for the bike's electrics.

Hey you never know, you might get someone who actually knows something come along in a minute :icon_salut:

Mitch

Pull the rubber boot off the starter solenoid and short the two big terminals with a screwdriver. If it spins over, you have a buggered solenoid.

Happened to my GSXR11.

Pull the rubber boot off the starter solenoid and short the two big terminals with a screwdriver. If it spins over, you have a buggered solenoid.

Happened to my GSXR11.

Ta, sounds a possibility. Will try this and see what happens as pretty sure battery is ok and cant see it being the starter as that worked fine when i first tried starting it. :)

We have a winner! Shorted starter solenoid and starter span straight away, will change it tomorrow if i can get a new one and hopefully should start now. Thanks for advice sir :)

Archived