Volvo T5's

Hendo

My boyo has just bought a R reg volvo T5, 2.3litre 5cylinder turbo (I dont know if they are all the same) for the grand total of £500 with a years tax and MOT.

Anyhoo, it goes like shit off a shovel and is in very very good condition with an indicated 173,000 miles. Has full service history upto 100,000miles.

But once it warms up, when you put your foot down it pulls then occasionally there will be a 'blip' in the accelleration like its misfiring (similar feeling to when traction control retards an engines power), but its only a very quick blip, and may do it 2 or 3 times before you select the next gear.

He's a mechanic but only works on commercial vehicles/wagons, doesnt deal with cars much.

Any ideas of what it could be, you had much dealings with them? Any know issues with symptoms such as these?

Cheers

Andy

Clogged fuel filter, wrong plugs or incorrectly gapped plugs, breaking down HT lead, vaccuum take off hose for ECU boost pressure transducer split or unplugged.

Has had new plugs and distributor cap to the best of my knowledge (he doesnt know Im writing this on here, he'd kick my arse :icon_salut: )

Another thing to note; when the engine is cold, or its a frosty morning it doesnt do it and go's like a gud'un perfectly. Its just starts doing it once the engine gets upto operating temp/there is a warmer ambient air temp.

Cheers for the input

Andy

I had an ex-police one years ago, they put out an extra 25 bhp more than the standard ones.

Anyway a mate had one at the same time and his started "missing", turned out to be a small crack in the intercooler.

Anyway a mate had one at the same time and his started "missing", turned out to be a small crack in the intercooler.

That would compute with when it's warm and pressure change in sudden acceleration.

If it's missing before you change up that would be the rev-limiter!! Change up a few hundred revs earlier :pbheroub2:;)

Sorry didn't have a clue but couldn't resist the stoopud thing too say!!

My boyo has just bought a R reg volvo T5, 2.3litre 5cylinder turbo (I dont know if they are all the same) for the grand total of £500 with a years tax and MOT.

Anyhoo, it goes like shit off a shovel and is in very very good condition with an indicated 173,000 miles. Has full service history upto 100,000miles.

But once it warms up, when you put your foot down it pulls then occasionally there will be a 'blip' in the accelleration like its misfiring (similar feeling to when traction control retards an engines power), but its only a very quick blip, and may do it 2 or 3 times before you select the next gear.

He's a mechanic but only works on commercial vehicles/wagons, doesnt deal with cars much.

Any ideas of what it could be, you had much dealings with them? Any know issues with symptoms such as these?

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

I have had T5's for about 8 years in one guise or another, my old 850T5 was bonkers, off the clock and still pulling like a mad thing, clock goes upto 155, Warsaw to Hamburg in under 7hours!!!!!!!!! NO SHITTING.... did it timed it...

It had a 3inch down pipe from the blowere and a full stainless system ( which is now on my C70t5 ) a remap with bigger injectors and a t19g blower... BIG power for a front wheel drive car , it could also drain the tank in under 40 mins!!!!!!

MY current C70T5 also goes of the clock but doesn't pull like my old 850T....

Anyway back to your problems.....

Does your car have a distrubutor cap, this is important as it dicatates which kind of ECU and there for what kind of fault codes are generated.....

1) if it has a distrubutor cap , then look for a small black box just next to the washer filler, take of the cap and you will see a series of plug holes , a red LED and a button , and also a small lead with a plug on the end.... then get yourself the haines maunal and it will tell you how to use the code reader, it is a very easy and effective bit of kit

2) If it does not have a distrubutor cap.. then the ODB 11, the plug in lead socket is in the central console under a plastic cap marked OBD11.. you will need a fault code reader.

However.... stuttering... I had that on my old 850T5 things to check

A) coil pack.. get new one if it is showing age, or does not check out OK on a multi meter....

:lol: inter cooler hoses .. check for cracks I had to replace a hose that goes to one of the main air valves near the throttle body

C) Hoses general, there are ALOT of small hoses running around in the engine bay check what you can get to, and replace where required,

D) You will probably find one of the large hoses to or from the turbo or intercooler to the inlet is perished

E) Fuel Filter change it it is an easy job.. push pull fittings.....

Also have a good look at the wish bone bushes and also the top engine mount , the gearbox steady mount, and the mount at the drivers side end of the motor, they do go.....

Other than that ENJOY.... evo eaters, Scubies aren't even on the same page!!!!!!!!!

there are also 2 resonably helpfull sites / forums..... T5D5, and also volvo performance.....

All the best

SteveT

Not on a Volvo, but on my old Mondeo I had a similar kind of thing, tried allsorts to find it, replaced coil pack, leads etc, then found I'd got a loose sparkplug, very loose. Tightened it back up and all missing and jerkiness went.

Hi Andy

I have had T5's for about 8 years in one guise or another, my old 850T5 was bonkers, off the clock and still pulling like a mad thing, clock goes upto 155, Warsaw to Hamburg in under 7hours!!!!!!!!! NO SHITTING.... did it timed it...

It had a 3inch down pipe from the blowere and a full stainless system ( which is now on my C70t5 ) a remap with bigger injectors and a t19g blower... BIG power for a front wheel drive car , it could also drain the tank in under 40 mins!!!!!!

MY current C70T5 also goes of the clock but doesn't pull like my old 850T....

Anyway back to your problems.....

Does your car have a distrubutor cap, this is important as it dicatates which kind of ECU and there for what kind of fault codes are generated.....

1) if it has a distrubutor cap , then look for a small black box just next to the washer filler, take of the cap and you will see a series of plug holes , a red LED and a button , and also a small lead with a plug on the end.... then get yourself the haines maunal and it will tell you how to use the code reader, it is a very easy and effective bit of kit

2) If it does not have a distrubutor cap.. then the ODB 11, the plug in lead socket is in the central console under a plastic cap marked OBD11.. you will need a fault code reader.

However.... stuttering... I had that on my old 850T5 things to check

A) coil pack.. get new one if it is showing age, or does not check out OK on a multi meter....

:tacheemoticonwh7: inter cooler hoses .. check for cracks I had to replace a hose that goes to one of the main air valves near the throttle body

C) Hoses general, there are ALOT of small hoses running around in the engine bay check what you can get to, and replace where required,

D) You will probably find one of the large hoses to or from the turbo or intercooler to the inlet is perished

E) Fuel Filter change it it is an easy job.. push pull fittings.....

Also have a good look at the wish bone bushes and also the top engine mount , the gearbox steady mount, and the mount at the drivers side end of the motor, they do go.....

Other than that ENJOY.... evo eaters, Scubies aren't even on the same page!!!!!!!!!

there are also 2 resonably helpfull sites / forums..... T5D5, and also volvo performance.....

All the best

SteveT

Hi, steve thanks for the info.

BUT... the car definately does have a distributor cap, as it is brand new, AND it also has the plug in the centre console, which kind of conflicts with what your saying (is it either, or??)

He has had it on the computer, but he never mentioned any fault codes showing up.

The impression Im getting is he isnt really that arsed about it, it is only a £500 car at the end of the day. If he finds the problem he will fix it, but isnt going to knock himself out trying to find it I dont think.

They always say never to buy a car off a mechanic lol...

Andy

Hi, steve thanks for the info.

BUT... the car definately does have a distributor cap, as it is brand new, AND it also has the plug in the centre console, which kind of conflicts with what your saying (is it either, or??)

He has had it on the computer, but he never mentioned any fault codes showing up.

The impression Im getting is he isnt really that arsed about it, it is only a £500 car at the end of the day. If he finds the problem he will fix it, but isnt going to knock himself out trying to find it I dont think.

They always say never to buy a car off a mechanic lol...

Andy

Hi Andy

are we talking 850T5 for V70/S70 T5..... if it is 850T5 it is one of the very last ones built.... and they are good 'un's...

Check hoses, plugs coil pack ; do the Simples first, not time consuming .. I have had a few troubles with MY OBD11 C70 t5 and have ALWAYS found keep it simple look for the simple things and spend time looking for them they nearly ALWAYS appear and the problem goes away when sorted. where abouts are you???

All the best

SteveT

Archived