Carb choice

szrdave

I'm looking for a replacement carb for my SZR660. They come with two as standard (one slide, one CV) but having seen the price of a pair of 34mm flatslides I've decided one big one is the way to go!

A browse through ebay.com turned up loads of skidoo carbs the right size and price, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikuni-Carb...=item19b714399e

Any reason a skidoo (or quad, 2 stroke etc) carb wouldn't work on a 4t motorcycle with the appropriate jetting changes?

I'm looking for a replacement carb for my SZR660. They come with two as standard (one slide, one CV) but having seen the price of a pair of 34mm flatslides I've decided one big one is the way to go!

A browse through ebay.com turned up loads of skidoo carbs the right size and price, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikuni-Carb...=item19b714399e

Any reason a skidoo (or quad, 2 stroke etc) carb wouldn't work on a 4t motorcycle with the appropriate jetting changes?

No fundamental reason as long as you can get the suitable tuning parts (Jets, etc.) (Do not take this for granted.)

You may end up with a bike that only works at high rpm, I had an old xt600 tenere and I put szr600 carbs with a dynojet kit and pod filters on it, it made a huge diffrence, you would be better off with 2 large cv carbs than one massive carb.

I saw another xt600 with early gsxr600 carbs fettled and rejetted to suit- no info sorry.

Ray

also http://www.thumperclub.com/smf/index.php

Urgh.

Nothing wrong with VMs, brilliant upgrade from anals...sorry amal's, but don't expect the performance to be anywhere near a proper set of flatties. Fitting one model of CV carbs to another will be very tricky...can you set them up with no base settings?

Thanks for the thumperclub link ssray, that could come in handy.

From what I've read on the subject, one big carb works well on these engines. Lots on other big singles (KTMs etc) come with just the one.

A CV carb would work ok, but if I'm going to the trouble of sourcing a 2-1 intake manifold I'd rather go with a slide carb (ideally a flatslide).

The FCR41 would be ideal, I just missed out on one recently :eusa_whistle:

I had a chap who was selling a pair of CR keihins for a hopped up XT motor, I think he wanted just shy of £300 for the pair, do you want his details?

Thanks for the thumperclub link ssray, that could come in handy.

From what I've read on the subject, one big carb works well on these engines. Lots on other big singles (KTMs etc) come with just the one.

A CV carb would work ok, but if I'm going to the trouble of sourcing a 2-1 intake manifold I'd rather go with a slide carb (ideally a flatslide).

The FCR41 would be ideal, I just missed out on one recently :eusa_think:

There is a chap called Jim who frequents the supermoto forums and does an oval bore service for the FCR, gives it a bit more poke.

I had a chap who was selling a pair of CR keihins for a hopped up XT motor, I think he wanted just shy of £300 for the pair, do you want his details?

Thanks d_t I'd appreciate that :shock: The Keihins seem particularly hard to get hold of.

Archived