Removing a seized on flywheel

drunkn munky

Right i need some here people, im stripping down a cagiva mito engine which is in a pretty bad way, the bike is a proper shed, seized motor, rust everywhere and standing in a garden for years, you know the type. Anyway the flywheel isnt playing ball, ive had a flywheel puller on it and the 1st attempt stripped the thread on one of the 3 bolts that screw into the flywheel and the 2nd attempt snapped the large center bolt, i tried shocking it with a hammer whist using the puller but that still didnt help so i need some ideas to get this flywheel off.

Heat is the one thing i didnt try, didnt want to damage the windings or burn any wires, probably the only way tho right.

That'll mean dropping the complete bottom end in a bucket, you think that'll work?

Heat, puller, and mallet

after soaking in a bucket of wd40 for a week

+1 on both of those, good soak in wd40, then heat and a shock, if its poss heat the flywheel at the outer edge, it will pull it outwards then and off the shaft

My old man has got a puller with a slide hammer on it. its pretty good for this sort of thing. dunno what make it is or where he got it though.

I have no idea how the mito engine is put together, but on most engines you can remove the crank without removing the flywheel. If you are going to strip the entire engine, get the crank out with the flywheel attached and get yourslef over to someone/somewhere with a press. Then you can press the crank out of the flywheel without damaging anything.

This is what we do with Laverda flywheels. They are ALWAYS seized and there are no replacements, so even the possiblity of damaging them is not an option.

Yeah the cases split down the middle, i cant see a way of stripping the bottom end without removing the flywheel.

Heres a pic, note this isnt a pic of mine but the flywheel puller is the one i used/destroyed

DSC02458.jpg

Could try some plasgas, normally pretty good at unseizing things. If youve soaked it already id try some gentle heat, may well be enough then

Wire the engine back up so you can start it grip it with your teeth and press starter and it should come right off :eusa_whistle:

HTH

:eusa_think: would you mind showing me first

sledgehammer.jpg

:sFun_doh2:

Dont tempt me :rolleyes:

Buy a new flywheel off ebay and get an angle grinder on the old one. It'll take about 10 minutes, max.

im with lorenzo on this one :rolleyes: stick a screw driver through one of the holes/vents in the flywheel cover, get you socket on the end of the crank and wretch the thing off!!! ive done it to too many NC30's to care. saying that the angle grinder/cutting wheel is the most used tool in my garage by a long way :icon_blackeye:

Buy a new flywheel off ebay and get an angle grinder on the old one. It'll take about 10 minutes, max.

I like that idea :( Where do i cut the flywheel?

iv taken loads of rgv fly wheels of ,a hidrolic bearing puller,the three arm type,if it dont come of then,you are fucked!

Ive got a specific flywheel puller for RGV's, works a treat on RGV's but not the mito sadly

im with lorenzo on this one :eusa_think: stick a screw driver through one of the holes/vents in the flywheel cover, get you socket on the end of the crank and wretch the thing off!!! ive done it to too many NC30's to care. saying that the angle grinder/cutting wheel is the most used tool in my garage by a long way :(

I dont think a screwdriver is gunna be man enough to wretch it off, the angle grinder is looking to be the weapon of choice at the moment

Leave the puller on the flywheel under pressure for a few days with the shaft soaked in wd40,

then warm the flywheel and tap the edges of the flywheel while putting more pressure on the flywheel .

If it wont move , leave the flywheel under pressure for a few more days and try again.

Can't really see from the pic, but is the centre of the flywheel threaded? If it is use a puller that screws into it with a central bolt that tightens against the crank, and use an air gun to turn the said bolt. I've used these in the past and they jump off.

I dont think a screwdriver is gunna be man enough to wretch it off, the angle grinder is looking to be the weapon of choice at the moment

trust me it is mate, if you put enough pressure on it it bites into the metal casing and give a really solid leverage point for when you turn the crank end, stuff it mate id just get the grinder to it, start by grinding the outer casing bolt off or just use a cutting wheel to take it off, as soon as the top of the bolt is removed exposing the threaded bit it should slide off (should anyway)

Yeah the cases split down the middle, i cant see a way of stripping the bottom end without removing the flywheel.

Heres a pic, note this isnt a pic of mine but the flywheel puller is the one i used/destroyed

DSC02458.jpg

eherwe go abit clearer, insert the screw diver in the hole that is at roughly 11 oclock on the face, jam it right in there and aply a clock wise force to it while turning the crank end anti clock wise and it should comne off. might be the other way round but you get my drift, if not just grind off the top of the center bolt and it will expose the threads and there fore should just slip out...if your lucky anyway, as a dicalimer ive never worked on a mito so be abit considered when u approach it with the grinder :eusa_wall:

Can't really see from the pic, but is the centre of the flywheel threaded? If it is use a puller that screws into it with a central bolt that tightens against the crank, and use an air gun to turn the said bolt. I've used these in the past and they jump off.

No the centre of the flywheel isnt threaded :thumbsup:

eherwe go abit clearer, insert the screw diver in the hole that is at roughly 11 oclock on the face, jam it right in there and aply a clock wise force to it while turning the crank end anti clock wise and it should comne off. might be the other way round but you get my drift, if not just grind off the top of the center bolt and it will expose the threads and there fore should just slip out...if your lucky anyway, as a dicalimer ive never worked on a mito so be abit considered when u approach it with the grinder :eusa_think:

I was just trying to work out what you were on about......I've got the bit where you apply clockwise force to the flywheel but how do i turn the crank anticlockwise??

Heres another pic without the puller attached as im also lost at what centre bolt i need to grind off

DSC02456.jpg

God i sound thick lol

Centre bolt?

the NUT is removed already and the flywheel sits on a tapered shaft with a key normally.

I would not recoment sticking a screwdriver in anywhere unless you want to fuck the stator inside.

this job requires peservirance, heat, shock, pulling and soaking of penitrating lubricant.

no grinders or screwdriver jamming.

Maybe if you put the engine somewhere very cold i.e. outside over night so the crank gets nice and cold then heat the flywheel from the outside-in you might have 1/2 a chance.

Beware of the flamible penitrating spray when heating though.

Archived