Heat treating alloy

bigkev

I have built a tubular alloy subframe for the ZXR , I have noticed that it has a very slight curve in it from the heat. I'm not sure of the grade of alloy, does anybody know where I can get it heat treated to relieve the stresses seeing as its carrying 15,5 stone I dont want to take a chance. :angry:

Somebody, somewhere does it. When Simon Martin built my subframe he got it heat treated for me, through somebody he knew, but nobody I called from the yellow pages would touch it.

Heat treatment won't get rod of the bow if thats what you want to achieve. All fabricated componets will distort when you weld them, careful sequencing of the welding and jig design can minimise it, but heat treatment will more than likely distort it more.

Secondly, nobodies going to be able to heat treat the subframe if you don't know the grade and condition of the alloy, as this determines the exact process thats needed.

The most common grade Aluminium tube is 6082 t6.

Cheers guys. Not worried about the bow in it at all, its just a subframe I built for doing distances that can carry some panniers and top box was just worried about it cracking or breaking. I can find out what grade it is.

Archived