Gyroscopic Forces

Hendo

Whats the saying that goes something like; "taking 1kg off the unsprung weight is equal to taking off xxxkgs from the sprung weight...(cant quite remember the saying)"

Is there any truth in this, is it an exact science?

I have just fitted a new rear wheel in my KTM, the complete old wheel/tyre weighed 14.8Kgs. The complete new wheel/tyre weighs 13.4Kgs a weight saving of 1.4Kgs.

I haven't got arount to fitting the front wheel yet, as it requires some machining to be done, but Im expecting a similar result in weight loss (maybe slightly more) with that one aswell.

Will I notice the difference when cornering/braking etc? Even with the new back one on only?

Cheers,

Andy

Last time PB swapped the wheels on an R1 for the carbon wheel test they said no, but I can't find the issue at the moment. I'll have a look...

Last time PB swapped the wheels on an R1 for the carbon wheel test they said no, but I can't find the issue at the moment. I'll have a look...

Did they? I seem to remember an article about 3 years back conclusively saying it'd knocked about 2 seconds off a lap time or something silly. I think I'd be right in saying that it's turn in rates that are the main difference, your bike should be a bit more quick to steer etc.

Archived