Monobloc caliper seals.

Martinh

Not really a problem for me as i can't afford single piece calipers but how do you change them on proper single piece units?

Well actually more specifically new fireblade calipers where they weld up the hole the pistons are installled through?

Not really a problem for me as i can't afford single piece calipers but how do you change them on proper single piece units?

Well actually more specifically new fireblade calipers where they weld up the hole the pistons are installled through?

like you do any other caliper, just pump them out very carefully. You have to remove the pads from then calipers and I like to have the calipers of the bike. Make sure that all pistons move out equally and just pull the pistons out with your fingers the last bit. Make very sure not to get ANY brake grease on the hydralic seals, only on the dust seals or you WILL wreck your discs (they'll warp due to pistons not retracting)

You might want to have a mate help you, to pump the lever and pour your tea ;)

Ronni

Ok thanks guys.

Just to completely put this to bed. The welded/brazed on plate construction part of the caliper design is only there to speed up assembly?

cheers

martin

Ok thanks guys.

Just to completely put this to bed. The welded/brazed on plate construction part of the caliper design is only there to speed up assembly?

cheers

martin

No, to lower cost/avoid paying patent money to brembo.

The way yamaha (sumitomo) and ISR make their calipers is the best from a cost and design point of view. But a slightly higher weight is the penalty. Brembo doesnt really use this weight advantage, instead they make their calipers stiffer for the same weight.

My personal choice would be a set of ISR mini six-pots on the NC, but I can easily outbrake myself with standard calipers

Ronni

Archived