Micron Hydratech Downpipes

paul8899

Just seen a set of these downpipes for my 5jj R1 and I was wondering it these are any good or should I get a set of akra of downpipes ?

Also how big is the increase between a full system over standard ?

Thanks

Akra for that model of R1 if you can find them as they are a 4 into 1 and work best with the 5 valve motor, oddly enough the next best is a muzzys system as it has an internal plate which makes their 4-2-1 system work like a a 4-1. As for rejetting don't fuckj about with dynojet kits and give yourself a headache get a Ivans jet kit, job done, oh and DO NOT get a a K&N airfilter leave that stock

There used to be, but for the life of me I can't remember. I'll e-mail a mate of mine that has better memory (He doesn't drink beer like I do) plus he had a set in his old R1

Just had a look at the website, looks good . Are there any uk stockists ?

Yes. the UK importer is SG Motorsport http://www.sgmotorsport.com/ivans_performance_products.html

the website is pretty shite but they are great to deal with over the phone.

I got an exup servo eliminator from them - details are in this thread http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8651 - so I could also junk the servo without getting an error code. You could just remove the cables and leave the motor in place.

As Ross says, apparently you should go for a 4-1 system on the early [pre-injection] R1's. There is an explanation of why somewhere on Ivan's site, but I recall it's something to do with a 4-2-1 causing resonance. Or something.

On my 4xv, it was making about 135rwbhp with a Harris hi-level race can, and nothing else. After fitting the akrapovic full system, a re-jet and a K&N filter, it went up to 142 @ 11,000rpm. Peak Torques went from 74 to 78.

I could have gone for a higher peak power figure - 150+ is possible on a standard motor - but doing so would have resulted in a loss of midrange to get there. As mine is predominantly a road bike, I went for midrange. From memory it went up by about 15bhp in the midrange, and it makes peak torque from 6-10,000rpm. Which is nice.

The only downside, if you can really call it that, is that it's now a bit fluffy below 4k - wheras with the exup in place it's faultlessly smooooth from tickover. It really is a very small price to pay for a vastly improved engine. Once you get past that, it just goes mental.

You won't believe the weight difference between aftermarket and the standard downpipes, including exup. The originals weigh an absolute ton in comparison - i was really surprised how light the akra system was. Oh.... and the sound :tumbleweed:

I had no problems with the K&N filter on mine. I had heard about loads of problems with them, so I checked with the dyno man [Chris at Road & Track Dyno, Aylesbury] and he assured me he'd fitted loads to R1's without issue, and indeed this was the case with mine.

Archived