Types of battery.

lorenzo

I bought a battery off busters a couple of weeks back, advertised as a gel battery, they sent me a lead acid type that I had to fill myself, I huffed, and after about 10 days they accepted it back and promised to send me the right one out. So, this morning another battery arrived, but I suspect it's another wet type again. It's marked CTX9BS, as opposed to YTX9BS which the other one is. The top is also smooth, but it can clearly be prised off with a little bit of inginuity and a screwdriver. Have I just got another wet one, but pre-sealed. It's not that I have anything in particular against wet batteries, it's just that I've found gel ones tend to start really well when they're cold and haven't been used for a while, unlike lead acid types which I've found steadily trickle away when I don't use the bike over the winter, or if I'm working away for a while etc. The box on the battery also has the old hand being dissolved sign on there too, and says things like 'caution, acid', although this could just be because the gel ones are acidic perhaps, I don't know. Anyway, have I been diddled again, or do I just not know what I'm buying?

I bought a battery off busters a couple of weeks back, advertised as a gel battery, they sent me a lead acid type that I had to fill myself, I huffed, and after about 10 days they accepted it back and promised to send me the right one out. So, this morning another battery arrived, but I suspect it's another wet type again. It's marked CTX9BS, as opposed to YTX9BS which the other one is. The top is also smooth, but it can clearly be prised off with a little bit of inginuity and a screwdriver. Have I just got another wet one, but pre-sealed. It's not that I have anything in particular against wet batteries, it's just that I've found gel ones tend to start really well when they're cold and haven't been used for a while, unlike lead acid types which I've found steadily trickle away when I don't use the bike over the winter, or if I'm working away for a while etc. The box on the battery also has the old hand being dissolved sign on there too, and says things like 'caution, acid', although this could just be because the gel ones are acidic perhaps, I don't know. Anyway, have I been diddled again, or do I just not know what I'm buying?

What you've probably got is an AGM battery - they are referred to as Gel batteries, but are different (and betterer in some ways)

The electrolyte is put in and is absorbed by glass fibre mats.You can use them flat like 'real' gel batteries, and they do discharge slower than traditional lead acid batteries.

All the types use acid in them as the electrolyte, so all will have the burny-hand pictures on them.

The fact that you had to fill the original battery yourself doesn't mean it was a traditional battery - you also have to fill AGM batteries, but once they're filled and you've popped the lid on, they're effectively sealed (I bought a Varta one for the ZX9 last year and had to fill it)

Buster's aren't particularly cheap for batteries, either...... :icon_salut:

Buster's aren't particularly cheap for batteries, either...... ;)

£26 inc P&P, i thought that was pretty good.

Part of me says I should keep on nailing them for a refund and just go elsewhere, although if I do this I should actually make sure it isn't a gel one I've got here. The other part of me says they've obviously just got their listing wrong, and I should stop being a fussy fucker and just put it on my bike as £26 for a battery, whatever it is, isn't too bad.

What you've probably got is an AGM battery - they are referred to as Gel batteries, but are different (and betterer in some ways)

The electrolyte is put in and is absorbed by glass fibre mats.You can use them flat like 'real' gel batteries, and they do discharge slower than traditional lead acid batteries.

All the types use acid in them as the electrolyte, so all will have the burny-hand pictures on them.

The fact that you had to fill the original battery yourself doesn't mean it was a traditional battery - you also have to fill AGM batteries, but once they're filled and you've popped the lid on, they're effectively sealed (I bought a Varta one for the ZX9 last year and had to fill it)

Buster's aren't particularly cheap for batteries, either...... :)

This. Bosch are the same and it's to overcome the biggest problem with gel batteries, they discharge at a higher rate than the old acid type. Putting a liquid in yourself removes the months on a boat from China...

You shou.;d see if there is a vent on the battery. Gel type batterys have built in vents where aS WET BATTERYS HAVE An external vent which you usually connect a pipe to (to prevent acid getting on anything). If there is no external vent then chances are its a gel battery and will work just fine on your bike. As mentioned gel batterys come in multiple forms, some need you to add acid and then seal them permenantly, others are already sealed with the acid inside.. Both types work well.

£26 inc P&P, i thought that was pretty good.

Part of me says I should keep on nailing them for a refund and just go elsewhere, although if I do this I should actually make sure it isn't a gel one I've got here. The other part of me says they've obviously just got their listing wrong, and I should stop being a fussy fucker and just put it on my bike as £26 for a battery, whatever it is, isn't too bad.

Fuck me, £26 is pretty damned good - I take back my earlier remark.When I was battery shopping last year, their budget battery was more than a decent branded one and P&P was more than where I eventually bought it.I managed to get a Varta AGM battery for £34 delivered, and I was happy with that.

Fuck me, £26 is pretty damned good - I take back my earlier remark.When I was battery shopping last year, their budget battery was more than a decent branded one and P&P was more than where I eventually bought it.I managed to get a Varta AGM battery for £34 delivered, and I was happy with that.

Sorry, got it wrong, it was £25!

Took th epart number off it etc yesterday and googled heavily. Turns out it's an AGM one, and I'm happy enough with that, although some of the reading I did said that they were very sensitive to commisioning, and needed to be initially charged very very slowly. Which is a bummer, and my charger only does one speed.

Sorry, got it wrong, it was £25!

Took th epart number off it etc yesterday and googled heavily. Turns out it's an AGM one, and I'm happy enough with that, although some of the reading I did said that they were very sensitive to commisioning, and needed to be initially charged very very slowly. Which is a bummer, and my charger only does one speed.

I didn't charge mine at all - just filled it and left it for a couple of hours.

Archived