RG500/R6 project

Gary

Well here are a few of the rear exhausts. As mentioned I am modifying some Swarbrick exhausts to fit the R6 chassis.. I will weld them up soon , but this is the first pass at cutting them to fit. I will lower the angle of the rear silencers as I think they make the back end look to high. I also tried fitting the R6 gas tank but it hits the rear exhausts (don't want the gas tank sitting on very hot exhaust pipes!! More excitement than I need!) so there will have to be some significant changes to the tank, also the R6 tank only holds 4 gallons and with this bike averaging 15MPG I need at least a 6 gallon tank. Fortunately the R6 tank has a massive empty area at the front where the air filter would sit, so I hope I can modify a R6 tank to hold 6 gallons and even add a 2 stroke oil tank at the front and fit an in tank low pressure fuel pump.. Still have to make the front engine mounts as soon as I get the Lathe up and running.. Hope to have most of the mechanical work done by late February and can then start the electrical work and I hope fire the engine up around June/July. Then I have to make the bodywork!!

Happy new year everyone.

Gary

the complete bike

IMG_3317Large.jpg

the rear exhausts

IMG_3318Large.jpg

just the headers

IMG_3319Large.jpg

• 1 month later...

beautiful project mate, i luv the rg500 mate of mine used to own one sounded awesome, my dream bike is rg 500, cant wait see more o this project big thumbs up

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Y, you missed that they are hi tech carbon fiber bungee cords.. They are designed to withstand continous high temperature!! :P

Have really wanted to work on this project but it has been so damn cold here in Austin the last 2 months (we currently have snow!) that I haven't had the courage to work in the garage. I did make up the spacers for the front engine mounts, so need to fabricate some hangers and then get them welded to the frame.. Hope to get started in a few more weeks, once it starts to warm up.. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Well here are a few of the rear exhausts. As mentioned I am modifying some Swarbrick exhausts to fit the R6 chassis.. I will weld them up soon , but this is the first pass at cutting them to fit. I will lower the angle of the rear silencers as I think they make the back end look to high. I also tried fitting the R6 gas tank but it hits the rear exhausts (don't want the gas tank sitting on very hot exhaust pipes!! More excitement than I need!) so there will have to be some significant changes to the tank, also the R6 tank only holds 4 gallons and with this bike averaging 15MPG I need at least a 6 gallon tank.

Gary

What is the weight difference between the RG500 frame and the R6 frame?

I had an RG in '86 and rode it across Australia a couple of times, and you're right, fuel consumption when you're into it is really low.

It seemed to handle quite well for it's time, still good enough to to slide in 3rd gear on the road.

Nowadays would probably go to a longer swingarm to reduce the wheely thing in the lower gears, and a 17" front end from a 750 would do.

I like the idea of the 570cc kit.

I always had daydreams about putting a 750waterbus engine in it for the grunt

It'll be interesting to see if the weight bias, and CofG changes, affect the R6 frame set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

well I am about to go on a weeks skiing holiday and when I get back I will start welding up the exhausts and start making a wiring loom for the bike. Goal is to have the engine running by July!! Still looking at radiator solutions.. Alpinestar, my current RG500 has a pretty hot tune (127HP) and has currently done some 2000 miles without the slightest issue (apart from fouling the odd spark plug due to slow riding)!! I expect the engine will be fairly reliable, as it was all setup on a dyno I hope to get 20,000+ miles before needing a rebuild!! As I am running synthetic oils (Gearbox & 2 stroke) it shouldn't even need a decoke.. To be honest I didn't choose the engine for reliability, but I still want to go out for a ride with a reasonable chance of getting back home.. My blue and white RG is jetted a bit rich (which is how I prefer) and gives up a couple of HP, but that seems a worthwhile trade off.. This new project will also be setup a little rich but I hope to break the 130hp barrier on the local Dynojet 250..

I received my offset front sprocket, but discovered I had messed up the measurements, so am getting a second (and hopefully correct) one made.. Slow progress, but I am in no rush..

• 7 months later...

Gary,

Shall we send out a St Bernards to find you on the slopes?

Please don't be to harsh on your self for the wrong measurements - it can happen to anyone.

I know you are in no rush be we all want to see some pix and info of the bike finished.

All the best.

Y

you could bolt or weld four front sprockets together and lathe off the excess

(reason not to always throw out used parts)

should the front wheel not clout the headers... She'll be well good for wheelies with that C.o.G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived