Thumb brakes

Boozybloke

As far as racing is concerned, a good number of riders tried them as an anti-wheelie control and subsequently ditched them in favour of either traction control or a double lever set up.

The main reason being “lack of bike control”, feels easy in the workshop, but when you’re on the move it’s a very different matter !

It lead me to wonder whether none of these people are actually using them to slow the bike down. This isn't inconceivable because at racer pace you've probably got both wheels at the limit of traction from the front brake and the slipper clutch (or manually feeding the clutch back in between downshifts.

So they may just be using them for mid-corner adjustment or wheelie control, neither of which would cause a conflict with operating the clutch.

I dunno. I reckon I can stop the bike quicker using both brakes than just using the front. However I then compromise myself on corner entry by having to move my foot before tipping in, which makes me wonder whether a hand-operated rear brake would be better.

I'm shit slow anyway, so what do I know?

Archived