GSX-R1000 K5 crankcase cover removal

originalracingsnake

I need to remove the generator cover from the LHS of the bike to fit some modded screws on the stator. Last time I had the cover off was service time so htge bike had no oil in it, but this timew it has a full sump of Fully Synth. Anyone removed the cover without draining the oil, with the bike on paddock stands?

Cheers!

Don't worry about it.

a wee dribble is all you'll get. (and I believe there are treatments available, ahem.)

Great, cheers Mr Tall.

I fitted some billet covers and as they were from eBay, no instructions present. I reused the OEM stator screws/bolts, but the covers require a 25mm bolt, not a 30mm, so my stator has not tightened down fully. Bike sounds very noisy at idle, I blimmin shit me'sen when I rode it up the street with no lid on to check it...

Then I found the Factory Pro site has an added bit of advice regarding the screws. Damn it.

Top man, thanks very much.

Got the generator cover this afternoon, and the stator was well loose. Not good. BTW, Tootall was spot on, there was only the tiniest dribble of oil from the cover when it came off.

Fitted the correct 25mm bolts, torqued them, little bit of blue gasket sealer on the crankcase face to stick the gasket on, put the cover back on.

Bike now runs nice and quiet, no nasty vibes like before. A result. Feckin cold fettling in the garage though.

Thanks to Tootall for the advice.

Bike is covered in WD-40 for its 1st outing in a week on the wet and cold Glos/Avon roads tomorrow.

Jim

Archived