New discs. Need new pads?

rndnick

As the title says, I've jsut bought some new discs and want to fit them, the pads that are cuurently fitted are EBC HH's and are only a couple of months old. Are they ok to reuse again as the pads still look like new? Or am I just trying to be a cheap fecker?

As above. New pads are essential, and I'd go with Brembos, too. Fitted some along with 2nd hand discs a few months ago. Brilliant.

Essential? That's a bit strong isn't it? I've swapped discs (and will be doing so again soo, as soon as the posty sorts himself out) many times, all i've ever done is given the pads a squirt of cleaner and a roughing up with some emery cloth or something.

Personally I wouldn't, once they bed in it will be OK.

Al, what about when you run wets and swap wheels discs, you aren't changing pads then?

Personally I wouldn't, once they bed in it will be OK.

Al, what about when you run wets and swap wheels discs, you aren't changing pads then?

I swap brake pads when I swap the wheel. I have a set of pads for each wheel IYSWIM. (Well only on the front, I don't use the rear brake :( )

If your disks where so bad that they need replacing, then the chances are that your pads are worn inconsistently. Whilst hopefully they will eventually bed back in, how long is that going to take? All the while you are riding with brakes that are compromised. For the £40 or so that the pads will cost, I can't see the point.

Have a look at the pad surface, if they've got ridges in them then use some emery to flatte them or if it's bad renew them.

Use them for a whle (heat cycle the disks) then take them out nd check them for glaazing

I swap brake pads when I swap the wheel. I have a set of pads for each wheel IYSWIM. (Well only on the front, I don't use the rear brake :unsure: )

If your disks where so bad that they need replacing, then the chances are that your pads are worn inconsistently. Whilst hopefully they will eventually bed back in, how long is that going to take? All the while you are riding with brakes that are compromised. For the £40 or so that the pads will cost, I can't see the point.

For a couple of cents worth of emery tape and a piece of wood you can save that £40.

For a couple of cents worth of emery tape and a piece of wood you can save that £40.

And indeed I have. Quick rub over with some 120, nice clean and reapply of some copper goo, back in and working lovely. (and the £40 saved allowed me to buy some shiny new stainless caliper bolts to replace the 'made with 70% butter' originals.)

i always put the emery paper on a mirror tile iv got knocking about in the garage (because its propper flat innit) and gently rub the pads in a circular motion until they have a flat dull uniform apparence on the pad surface, bung em back in and bed them into the new discs as you would with new pads.

jobs a goodun

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add a reply to this to say; fitted some new pads weekend just gone, along with some titanium pins (hold the pads in) which have given a very much improved braking feel. The lever feel and the decceleration rate seems to be huge amounts better than before. The initial bite from even a gently lever squeeze gets the bike slowing rapidly. Definetly worth the £80 it cost me to do.

Archived