R1 Ram Air box

rndnick

For the QB carbon air box I've found the stock needle taper to be better than the dynojet one. Not because the dynojet ones wear the needle tube oval. Needles do that over time anyway.

It was only a small number of dynojet needles that were not finished properly and the vast majority of them were for Kawasaki's.

I think it was a LOT more widespread than that, but even at that, the needles screwed the carbs on PBs ZX9R (and one of mine) because the needle jets are not replacable. Did dynojet replace the carbs? No. Thats shit.

The other crap thing about dynojet is they don't make a jet to fit either Keihin, or Mikuni carbs. Each use different threads, dynojet use one for both.

For the QB carbon air box I've found the stock needle taper to be better than the dynojet one. Not because the dynojet ones wear the needle tube oval. Needles do that over time anyway.

Agreed they do, but OE would be several thousand miles...I honestly believe the dynojet needles I have are still eating my scrap carbs even without being on a bike.

But the taper on the dynojet needles didn't half make the 9R shift above 120.

It was only a small number of dynojet needles that were not finished properly and the vast majority of them were for Kawasaki's.

The dynojet main jets make me laugh.... Made to try and fit the majority of both Keihin and Mikuni carbs but fit neither properly!

Yep ditch the Ais then get the carbs pressurised above and bellow. The old Qb ram air box worked a treat on mine only draw back it drank fuel. the first person to set it up did not get it right and i tinkered after a few times with a lot of help from all over the place. The first dyno reading was 150bhp it started well enough was reliable but drank juice. Another ram air man i know blocked holes up in his carb with no ill effects and it worked fine too! (not sure which ones). Valve timing can make quite a differance with this set up i found so worth dialing them in as well. Is it worth it....Nope. It made a lovely noise though :D I think spending money elsewhere like suspension would be more worthwhile but if you fancy having a go check out crazy ivan i have been told his needle kit is better and cheaper than Dynojet.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, have had an email reply from QB Carbon regarding the Ram Airbox;

This the text is sent them;

So, have you bought/are you going to buy one of these? I'd be very interested to see how you get on, if you are. From what I remember the glassfibre version of the airbox isn't too expensive, and if it's as good as Mr QB Carbon reckons it is, I might like one myself.

From what I remember the glassfibre version of the airbox isn't too expensive

GRP is £262.12 + VAT

Carbon is £299.58 + VAT

So not a huge amount of difference in price, havent bought one yet, I think I definetley will do though prob not till after Christmas, as I have just spent all my money on new discs and shiny bolts!

Some thing to think about before you buy.I had one on my race bike.It was a V&M motor all properly set up and it worked a treat.THEN I fitted Keihen flatslides with no airbox just the foam sock filters and got increases throughout the rev range but mainly topend.Throttle response was excellant though.I would go straight to Keihens if you can.I'll try and find the graphs but sold the bike 12 months ago so may not have them.

GRP is £262.12 + VAT

Carbon is £299.58 + VAT

So not a huge amount of difference in price, havent bought one yet, I think I definetley will do though prob not till after Christmas, as I have just spent all my money on new discs and shiny bolts!

Hmm. So I remembered wrong. No wonder there are copies around if he's charging £300 for a glass fibre airbox. Given what our friend sonic has just said, above, I think I may reconsider this, especially as it seems to be running very nicely on the stock airbox with a high-flow filter and richer jetting.

Archived