Forks and sub frame swap.

Big_Kingy

Right, I bought Tomfoolery's old ZZR600 as a project. After getting a good idea of where I want the project to go I open up the new PB mag and somebody's pretty much already done it with the black triple.

So after chatting with Dave at Snetterton he informs me that the ZZR qualifies for thunderbikes :icon_blackeye::thumbsup: .

So now that's the direction the projects heading in. Make an eligeble Thunderbike and if I have enough bottle and cash I'll do the Snetterton round next year.

Now what forks will fit?

I'm aloud to replace the welded sub frame for a bolt on one, anyone know the best way to do this?

Now what forks will fit?

I'm aloud to replace the welded sub frame for a bolt on one, anyone know the best way to do this?

Forks - Measure the length from top to bottom and aim for ones that long or more - shorter ones will require stepped yokes or modifying with longer/extended stanchions. Not ideal. If you can find a higher spec fork with the same diameter then the original yokes can be used, if not forks and yokes will need to be acquired (usually with a requirement for spacers for the head bearings).

As for the subframe, once the old one is cut off some bosses welded to the frame will allow you to fit a basic structure that can be knocked up quite easily by any engineering shop. If you measure up and supply the materials it shouldnt cost much for them to cut them to shape and weld them together.

It's worth having a word with Nick Paravani at Competition Fabrications in Attleborough - he's a genius, an very reasonable about his prices.

Cheers Dave.

I emailed Robert Wittey at Thunderbikes to double check the bike's eligibility. He replied today giving the bike the OK.

Do I cut all of the sub frame off?

Or do I leave a little bit?

Is it really worth doing?

I'd certainly leave at least a bit showing so you've got something nice to put some lugs onto.

While you're at it about the fork swaps, you'd need to ask about what's allowed in terms of wheels etc. The reason I say this is that zx7r forks aren't mega pricey and are quite nice, but the wheel's are pretty heavy. I'd take a punt that with suitable bearing twiddles they'll go in OK so long as you have the yokes too. If you're not bothered about the speedo drive I have been reliably informed that wheels off a 636 (B model I think) will fit with suitable spacers, no need to fiddle with brakes etc, straight swap, and are waaaay lighter than the zx7r's front wheel. To keep the unsprung weight down, you then get the brakes off either an early bandit12, a late oil cooled gsxr1100/750, and srad 600 or a triumph something or other (same brakes, just badged triumph and are cheaper), then use them. Or you can keep the 6 pots off the zx7r, but they'll cost a bit to get sorted if they're corroded, and they need keeping clean (shouldn't be an issue on a race bike). With the right fork/wheel/brake combo you'll get better brakes than the zzr ever had, with a lighter front end and better damping, and it won't cost you the earth. Bingo...

And, as it happens, I've got a set of zx7r forks in my lounge at the moment. Just measured them, from the top to the centre of the spindle hole they're 735mm. I'd not worry about fitting something slightly shorter, perhaps up to 15mm or so if the bike's fairly lazy to steer anyway, but I'd not drop any more than that, perhaps less if it's a bit flighty at the moment.

I've also got some gsxr1000 forks in the back of my car too, k3's I think (the ones with the black stantions anyway), I'll have a measure of them too.

Measured the GSXR ones too, all be it with an iffy 30cm ruler, so it's not exact, but they're a good 30mm shorter than the zx7r ones.

You might want to take a quick peak inside the engine, too....

That won't be needed as most of it will be coming out to meet him about 2 laps in.

That won't be needed as most of it will be coming out to meet him about 2 laps in.

Lol, that engine shall be replaced with a much lower milage 93/94 one.

The plan so far is to collect all the parts I want/need over the winter and put it all together in the spring as this project has now written off the idea of getting a shed :eusa_dance:

Lol, that engine shall be replaced with a much lower milage 93/94 one.

The plan so far is to collect all the parts I want/need over the winter and put it all together in the spring as this project has now written off the idea of getting a shed :D

If you need parts shifting around or picking up give me a shout mate, its amazing how much shit I can cram into the back of my little estate car.

And if it wont fit in there, I'll pinch FlatTel's pickup. <_<

If you need parts shifting around or picking up give me a shout mate, its amazing how much shit I can cram into the back of my little estate car.

And if it wont fit in there, I'll pinch FlatTel's pickup. :tacheemoticonwh7:

Nice one mate :blush:

get the E3 onwards model adjustable forks, the engine from this model also has a better (more power) ram air system.

get hold of a set of Honda CBR600RR3 calipers up front, just need washers to space them out, aswell as braided lines and the honda mastercylinder.

cant unbolt the subframe on the E models, but the D models you can.

a gixxer K4 will bolt onto a cut e model subby without to much work.

yeh theres a thread on the zzr forum somewhere, some american bloke did it and paitned the bike matt green, it was in a streetfighter mag

i'll have a look on my pc at home mate for photos

yeh theres a thread on the zzr forum somewhere, some american bloke did it and paitned the bike matt green, it was in a streetfighter mag

i'll have a look on my pc at home mate for photos

Archived