ZX10R caliper swap ?

j-maul

I'v been told by a friend who visits a zx10r forum that the calipers on my 05 zx are shite and i should swap them for cbr calipers or zx14 calipers. The problem is apparently the four pad setup on my calipers as oppose too the better two pad setup on the other bikes i'v mentioned. Has anyone on here herd about this as i'm a bit weary of the infomation on this forum.

I,ve heard about it if you want to read about it have a look on zx10r .co.uk or .net the yank site. theres plenty of advice on them. a lot of people just get a brembo master cylinder, that seems to be the most popular upgrade. I,ve got one on mine & it s miles better HTH.

I'v been told by a friend who visits a zx10r forum that the calipers on my 05 zx are shite and i should swap them for cbr calipers or zx14 calipers. The problem is apparently the four pad setup on my calipers as oppose too the better two pad setup on the other bikes i'v mentioned. Has anyone on here herd about this as i'm a bit weary of the infomation on this forum.

A

Job

Well

Done

Sorted!!

HTH!

Seriously though, The calipers aren't usually the problem on the 10's it's the stock m/c's

If funds allow, sort yourself out a Brembo M/C, 5.1 fluid, braided hoses and some decent pads and the difference will be astounding....

edit to add, pm me if you want a m/c at a decent price....

Are the brakes a problem for you?

Have you tried out the new pads and lines yet?

Next step IMO would be a new m/cyl, either Performance Technology or Brembo, then if you think they're still not good enough start thinking about changing calipers.

I know a few people who race the 04/05 zx10 on standard calipers with no prob though.

I'v got the brakes all set up mate but i'v not tried them yet, moneys a little tight at the minute. The only problem with the brakes has been fade so far, i was just talking to a mate who told me about the caliper thing and i wasn't to sure thats all. I'll give you a heads up about the brakes as soon as i use them, the lines look really well on thow, cant wait to try them out.

Changing to 5.1 fluid will make a big difference when pushing on, higher boiling point means much less fade, I've recently fitted a pair of EBC Sintered HH pads and now there is next to no fade at all!

I'v got some sbs dual carbons to try out so i think they will cure my problem until i get faster that is

I saw your bike in PB this month, the cans look sweet, i fancy another cbr myself thanks to you, our lass wont be happy.

The 9/10 forums seem to suggest the 10R calipers are not the best, but I don't have one myself. If they work for you, then stay with them.

Do the R1 calipers fit in 10R mounts? I only ask as the 9R front brakes are wank...

The oem calipers are poor, I fitted ZX1400 Nissins to mine with the 310mm discs from the 14 but found them a bit too much for road use. I've fitted the Nissins to my 636 C1H and they are great, the 10 now has 08 ZX10R Tokicos on, so in effect it has the later front brake setup, and it's fine now. The master cylinder solution just masks the real problem, if you have a gen 1 ZX10R then get a 636 C1H/C6F master cylinder form the breakers and you'll see a big improvement, add the calipers and you'll have brick wall brakes.

Just to clear things up, the Nissins from the 600 P7F or ZX1400 fit the oem discs with no other changes, you'll find the brake lines are a bit slacker as the banjo mount is a bit higher.

If you want the 310mm discs as well, then you'll need 5mm spacers.

If you fit the 08 Tokico calipers you need the 310mm discs as well, the caliper is deeper to make up the 5mm.

Late model Honda Fireblade and 600RR calipers fit, but I believe the six piston R1 calipers don't.

Ducati Brembos don't fit, I don't think the Triumph ones fit either, the spacing between the mounting bolts is different.

Mmm any idea what the spacing between bolt centres is? I have some radial brembos (new) bought for f-all on ebay when radial mounts were just out...

Can't remember the spacing, but they would look trick on the front of the 9 with different forks.

I'v got some sbs dual carbons to try out so i think they will cure my problem until i get faster that is

I saw your bike in PB this month, the cans look sweet, i fancy another cbr myself thanks to you, our lass wont be happy.

I have to be careful as well, I have enough cbr's already!

You coming on thursday mate?

I've not read any replies apart from the first post, but a mate of mine has the ZZR1400 calipers and a ZX 636 master cylinder fitted to his 05 road bike amongst other things.

I was gona book it a while back mate, but the transfer box went on my car so that pretty much fucked my track days for the rest of the year. Have a good'un tomorrow, i really wanted to do the last doni track day as well.

This is as much two wheel action as i'll be getting for a while

CSC_0139.jpg

Archived